Having played this map many times in .65, some problems become evident:
1) The fog decrease is nice, but its being abused by many Axis players. Russians who stand on the docks can be shot by Axis from the opposite shore. Shouldn't happen. Increase the width of the river to compensate.
2) The boats suck. They get annihilated by a short burst of MG fire. Make the boats metal, and make them a bit bigger. Passengers should be able to lie prone in the boat and be safe from anything except for things that fall in such as mortars, artillery, or grenades.
3) The Soviet side needs to lose the jeep and APC. They serve absolutely no purpose. Often some moron in the jeep decides to try to ferry it across in a full boat, sinking it and killing teammates in the process.
4) The Soviet side needs more artillery. The single 105s controlled independently don't give a large enough volume of fire to do much good. Replace them with the linked ones like on Nordwind, or add three or four more single ones. Place an ammo box next to each gun, so that they're constantly replinished. Having to blow up your own gun and wait for it to respawn is stupid. A Katyusha or two would be very nice as well.
5) Add some DP1928 pickup kits, don't make them a class.
6) The Germans should not able to camp the beach flag, standing right on the shoreline and blasting the hell out of the boats. Make the distance between the beach flag and the middle flag longer, or give them some incentive to stay at the center flag and defend like they should be doing anyway.
7) Increase the radius of the beach flag. At the start of the game, all the boats should fill up, go across the river more-or-less in unison, and beach themselves within the flag radius.
Alternatively, make the beach flag automatically capture itself if it is not already done by Allied players. If it isn't capped quickly at the start, the Allies generally don't ever get anything done, and its a continuous cycle of spawn-ride-death that isn't fun for either side. If they don't manage to cap it within some amount of time, it automatically captures and guys can spawn there. Not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to keep the pace of the game reasonable.
8) Make the path up the hill a bit more viable. It has too little cover and is too shallow. Add one or two more paths, whereby Soviet troops can trudge up the hill and have at least some chance of making it up there.
9) Finally, give the Soviets more tickets. Starting with the same amount in a beach assault map is just absurd.
The only problems with this map in .61 were the axis ability to riflenade the boats, and the inferior mp40. There was never a reason to remove the fog. Now that fogs been removed, this map is unplayable..
Im gonna go out on a limb here, but why not just PUT THE DAM FOG BACK. It worked exactly what needed to be done. We have nerfed riflenades and the mp40 is working. Germans will still have the Panzerfausts, which will need to be dropped. That is the only problem i see with that map if you put the fog back.
I agree with you on a few things but..
two katusha's will totally anihalite the axis, so will 5 arty cannons, make the "beach" heading up the axis postions longer and less steep, with more cover however. that is all.
LordbutterThe only problems with this map in .61 were the axis ability to riflenade the boats, and the inferior mp40. There was never a reason to remove the fog. Now that fogs been removed, this map is unplayable..Im gonna go out on a limb here, but why not just PUT THE DAM FOG BACK. It worked exactly what needed to be done. We have nerfed riflenades and the mp40 is working. Germans will still have the Panzerfausts, which will need to be dropped. That is the only problem i see with that map if you put the fog back.
This could work as well.
I still see the Axis camping the shoreline as a problem present both in this version and .61, though, so something needs to be done about it.
The germans waiting in the beachhouses and docks with panzerfausts is a problem as well, i dont believe the russians lost men to germans panzerfausting boatloads..
I'm quite sure the fog was disabled to prevent so called foghacking. Better for all players to have equal chances than some players having an advantage over other ones.
I dont agree with many of the suggestions,the fog is realistic and as mkh points out it evens things up.
I do agree the jeeps shoudl go, but not any more arty. I think widening the river is a better option, and many getting them a better boat is ok too, but I would not really care about work put into another boat.
Making the time to cap the beach head shorter might be a better option. Also, the german back flag could be made uncappbale, instead of one center flag there could be two. Personally I think we could have a whole nother stalingrad map, and sicne I liked the FH version of dice stalingrad I wouldn't moind having that back as well.
More then any of these would be getting some other lesser known city battles done, such as later in the war in other german cities besides berlin, after d-day such as on the outskirts of paris. Also, in italy with for battles that were mainly german vs us.
MkH^I'm quite sure the fog was disabled to prevent so called foghacking. Better for all players to have equal chances than some players having an advantage over other ones.
I dont think fog was removed for this reason....sounds like paranoia to me...The fog coverd the boats, and gave the people running up the beach some cover from the mg's. Now the Mg's can just spray the boats midway. The boats need to make it across without worry. Ditch the Panzerfausts, and some of the smg's....more rilfes....
Lordbutter Ditch the Panzerfausts, and some of the smg's....more rilfes....
I thought of this too, but there's no way to do it effectively short of class limits, which a lot of people are against. There are currently two smg classes for the Allies, Close Quarters with a PPSh and nades, and Officer with a PPSh, pistol and binoculars. If one of them is taken out, anyone who wants a PPSh will just choose the one that's left.
Panzerfausts definitely need to go.
terminal-strikeI dont agree with many of the suggestions,the fog is realistic and as mkh points out it evens things up. [/QUOTE]
Evens things up? You're joking right? Mass slaughter of the Soviets in the middle of the river, camping the hell out of the shore, Axis sniping Soviets who have just spawned. Good thinking.
[QUOTE=terminal-strike]Also, the german back flag could be made uncappbale
Giving the defending team an uncappable base defeats the very point of a beach assault map. The Soviets, assuming they capture all the flags, have a choice of either sitting back and sniping at the just-spawning Germans, or camp their main which will get them kicked. A cappable flag gives them incentive to assault, y'know, since its an assault map and all.
I still haven't heard a good reason against adding more artillery. Currently it just doesn't add much to the game, and it should on this map. Maybe ditch the 105s and replace them with an immovable Katyusha? Immovable in order to prevent some moron from getting in the driver's seat while a good arty man is doing a good job and driving into the river. That happens all too often.