Gorillastein

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

6th August 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I have no modding experience in terms of creating content. Though I am a lover of mods. I often enjoy them much more than the original. FH is an example of this. My question is with the mod tools that are out now, are the custom maps made to play in 1942 portable to the BF:2 mod tools? Where I am going with the question is this: If the maps, or at least portions of them can be ported, it would save time on development, right? So those of you in the know, can you enlighten me? Thank you in advance, :cheers: Gorillastein

Dime_a_Dozen

FH Dev Team Member

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

I think some parts of the maps are indeed "portable" but talking from experience of "reworking" a few DICE maps (Wake, Iwo, and Guadalcanal) as well as tweaking other teammates, a mapper quickly realizes his limitations and the urge to make new maps takes control of his motivations. I don't think it will save on development time. And you'll probably want to see different versions of old maps anyway (El Alamein for example).

Gorillastein

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

6th August 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Hey Dime, Thanks for the response. I am looknig forward to FH2 with great anticipation! Keep it up!

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

From what i've heard, you can't use any of Dice objects anyways. So, the only thing you could port would be the heightmap only.

Diabolos_

The semipro smacktard

50 XP

22nd January 2005

0 Uploads

192 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Actually porting heightmaps is also prohibited. Read all about it HERE.

Arisaka

Staff suffers from PCD

50 XP

16th August 2004

0 Uploads

1,495 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

you're talking besides the point. thread poster asks if (custom) maps made to work on the bf42 engine can (theoretically) be ported to bf2. dime answered this. what you are talking about is content made by dice. FH-maps are definately not made by dice, their models aren't made by dice, the devs are working horrible hours to remove every last eyesore dice piece in the mod (although it won't be all gone for .7, i think).

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago
Arisakayou're talking besides the point. thread poster asks if (custom) maps made to work on the bf42 engine can (theoretically) be ported to bf2. dime answered this. what you are talking about is content made by dice. FH-maps are definately not made by dice, their models aren't made by dice, the devs are working horrible hours to remove every last eyesore dice piece in the mod (although it won't be all gone for .7, i think).

I think he know's that seeing how it states but he was just talking about FH porting over Dice heightmaps to "easily" recreate maps (which they wouldn't even want to do if allowed, FH2 is THE chanche to come up with orginal awesome maps) : " Any content that was created by DICE for either Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam (including levels, vehicle models, player models, weapon models, associated art, static objects, etc.) MAY NOT be ported to any Battlefield 2 Mods. If you created a WW2 or BFV mod and you wish to move all content created from scratch by your team over to BF2, that is, of course, okay.""