BAR M1918A2 - Did The 101st/82nd Airborne Jump With These? -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 12 years ago

Hello guys, I'm just curious, were the 101st or the 82nd Airborne given any BAR's for the jump? I know they were given the M1 Garand, Thompson and M1A1 Carbines, even the .30 cal Browning M1919 LMG's. I just want to know if anyone from the 101st/82nd were actually issued any BAR's? I watched Band of Brothers last night again and I saw in two episodes some 101st had the BAR as their weapon. One is from episode Crossroads, when Winters lead the assault on the other side of the dike. One paratrooper had the BAR with bipod extended. Another scene is from episode The Breaking Point, there's a 101st BAR rifleman suppressing the sniper and the Germans with the BAR. Also I saw another BAR rifleman near Winters in the forest. I also saw from a book (I'll look the name up now) a picture of the 82nd paratrooper posing with a BAR with another trooper armed with a Carbine. Anyways I just hope to know if any of you have any information on whether or not the paratroopers were given the BAR's, or did they pick these up from... the Glider troopers? Any info would be appreciated thanks !!

Polska

"The original one"

62 XP

19th September 2004

0 Uploads

5,969 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

If I recall correctly, Paratroopers weren't issued with BAR's because they were to heavy. It could be that the two soldiers with the Bars founded them from a supply parachute or something among that.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

The BAR comes with half the weigth of the 1919, so if they had the Cal30, weight can't be a reason not to bring the BAR.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Once again dont quote me cuz Im runnin from memory.

The individual soldiers did not jump with BAR's or 1919's. The heavy weapons were dropped on seperate chute packs and were to be retrieved once hte paratroopers got on the ground.

So in essence once the para's hit the ground, found the heavy weapons pack, unloaded it and got the weapons unpacked and locked and loaded they were good to go but no I dont remember them ever jumping with the weapons on their person.

EDIT: Once on the ground and linked up with ground forces the Para's fought as elite infantry. They would have had access by then to all the regular infantry support weapons. Glider troops were under weight restrictions as well but I think they carried their support weapons such as 1919's and BAR's.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Correct, paratroopers got their BARs from gliders. Wether it was an assigned supply or a find they were useful so paratroopers were taking them.

mach1muscle351

All my base are belong to n0e

50 XP

9th February 2006

0 Uploads

528 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago
Major HartmannThe BAR comes with half the weigth of the 1919, so if they had the Cal30, weight can't be a reason not to bring the BAR.

Right, they didnt carry in there hands though. They used a bag of some sort.

pvt. Allen

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th July 2005

0 Uploads

5,654 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

It was a leg bag. But it was only used for light hand weapons and was pretty unsuccesful as it was not tested before and paratroopers lost many of them on D-Day. Still, remember that we already come to conclusion that BARs and mgs were not carried by paraschute infantry.

MR.X`

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

12,409 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

If not from seperate, smaller parachutes being released from the '47s when the green light came, then they were broken up and stored in leg bags (lots of good that did them, heh).

snotvod

50 XP

26th May 2005

0 Uploads

1,658 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

And did German fallschirmjaegers jump with their heavy weapons like mg34? If they too got their heavier weapons from separate parachutes, the ammodrops we have now in fh42 would become more usefull in fh2 by carrying heavier weapons.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago
snotvodAnd did German fallschirmjaegers jump with their heavy weapons like mg34? If they too got their heavier weapons from separate parachutes, the ammodrops we have now in fh42 would become more usefull in fh2 by carrying heavier weapons.

No, they got dropped seperately, or not at all. That's why they wanted the FG42 so bad.