Helmets -1 reply

Please wait...

Andreas the Great

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

135 Posts

0 Threads

#71 12 years ago

Errr....I'm not sure I'm getting your point, Hawk. Do you perhaps mean that there were other suspension configurations than the american type? Like the german or french configuration? I'm serious, my english kinda sucks, so i really don't fully understand what you are saying. :)




Hawk_345

BF-Korea beta tester

50 XP

23rd April 2006

0 Uploads

1,407 Posts

0 Threads

#72 12 years ago

i was just saying in time of war not all helmets on either side ended up with a nice set of straps like that, the helmets will still usually uncomfortable, but anyway its not like it maters, in the game you dont fell the helmet so why even bother talking about this.




Andreas the Great

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

135 Posts

0 Threads

#73 12 years ago

Oh, now I see what you're talking about. :) I have read a veterans testimonial on www.german-helmets.com that said they(german soldiers) were often given the wrong size, so that they could spare time while being equipped at the quartermaster. This often caused headaches and stuff. This is still a problem among the Swedish National Guard, eventhough the helmet sizes are somewhat adjustable. Atleast the american ( and british?) helmets were very adjustable, whereas the german ones were not.




Guest

I didn't make it!

0 XP

 
#74 12 years ago

I've read stories of a bullet hitting a helmet and acually follwing the curve of the inside of the helmet, circles around the head, and exits out the other side. Left a nasty mark but didn't even put the guy out of the fight.

Plus I've read and seen many accounts of a helmet reflecting bullets, and I doubt all of them were pistol rounds. Like others have said it is a matter of how the bullet hits. Helmets were brought back in WWI to protect soldier's heads when they popped their heads up to peer out of the trenches. Basically, if at all possible, I think helmets should have like a 80% chance to stop the first shot from a pistol or other small caliber, and maybe a 20%-30% chance to stop a rilfe caliber weapon. Sounds like thats not possible though.

As for modern helmets you have to remember that modern ones are Kevlar so can't really be compared to WWII era helmets.




Hawk_345

BF-Korea beta tester

50 XP

23rd April 2006

0 Uploads

1,407 Posts

0 Threads

#75 12 years ago

Very good info, but how will the helmet know how far away the pistol shot from, dont want to be right besied someone and shoot him in the helmet at point blank and have it not go in.




Andreas the Great

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

135 Posts

0 Threads

#76 12 years ago

That sounds like a pretty good idea, but I fear that it will be very hard to code that. Now, I have no experience what-so-ever about coding, but it does sound pretty tricky...:/




czech speacial forces

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

3rd September 2005

0 Uploads

3,369 Posts

0 Threads

#77 12 years ago
NighthawkI've read stories of a bullet hitting a helmet and acually follwing the curve of the inside of the helmet, circles around the head, and exits out the other side. Left a nasty mark but didn't even put the guy out of the fight. Plus I've read and seen many accounts of a helmet reflecting bullets, and I doubt all of them were pistol rounds. Like others have said it is a matter of how the bullet hits. Helmets were brought back in WWI to protect soldier's heads when they popped their heads up to peer out of the trenches. Basically, if at all possible, I think helmets should have like a 80% chance to stop the first shot from a pistol or other small caliber, and maybe a 20%-30% chance to stop a rilfe caliber weapon. Sounds like thats not possible though. As for modern helmets you have to remember that modern ones are Kevlar so can't really be compared to WWII era helmets.

also helmets would slow down the bullet and/or make it tumble so it is alot less likly to penetrate the skull. helmets without the suspending straps gave the troops less hed protection because all the force of the bullet agenst the helmet is them transfered to the troops skull.