terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

6th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

I was wondering how bf stuff releates in size to real equipment, I guess the starting point beiong how tall is the FH man? The follow on from this is what game items are scaled to 1:1 to humans? Like are tanks scaled? Aircraft? ships... etc.etc. Just talking about the relative size. Also, the current viewpoint comes out of the stomach. I know if its moved all to the head, then people could hide almost there entire bodies when prone (If i understand correctly). What im wondering is if it could be moved somewhat higher up to say like chest height, to get more relaistic viewing 'height' but not so high as for abuse.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

The Dice guys, for some reason, came up with some nonsensical scale for some reason. most vehicals are shrimpy compared to thier actual size. They also stuck the camera in the persons chest for some stupid reason, then modeled everything based on that viewpoint.

All of FH's vehicals are smaller then rl because of the ammount of dice vehicals orginially used, it just made sense to keep things consistant. To correct this, we would have to re-export all 250 some vehicals to be the right scale, and thats WAY to much work this late in the game. For BF2, everything should be scaled correctly, because we have to export them in anyways.

As to the viewhight, when it's moved to its correct location by the guys eyes, it makes everythig else look super short (because everything was based off the chest hight). This means you cant look through bunker slits, you can see over sandbags when crouching, and a whole messload of other problems. Again, to correct this, we would have to rescale all of ours, and dices models. and there are hundreds of them.

hopefully they got smarter and fixed it for bf2

Komrad_B

Score Monkey

45,850 XP

2nd September 2004

0 Uploads

4,500 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Good news for FH2.. hemm... i mean BF2 :D . But some things look even more awfully scaled than others, is that possible?

terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

6th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

oh well that IS a nightmare. Hmmm ok two questions -could it be moved a little bit higher with out massacreing things (like say up to neck, rather then to the totally f-ing things eyes height) -any idea what the relative factor i.e like are tanks like 1/3 or just a few inches, if for example people were 6 feet tall? Or if a tank was a certain heigh, could people be made smaller. Hmm ok well that was more then two, anyawy very interting info on the demented universe of refractor engine mcibbs.

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

cant we make the player model "smaller" so the camera lines up with the head?

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

then you have a bunch of midgets running around. all the statics are scaled to the size of the player model.

Niles[DK]

GF makes me horny

50 XP

1st September 2004

0 Uploads

89 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

can the viewpoint be corrected seperately for prone, that would solve a big part of the problem ?

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

No. I tried that befor, the cam has to be in the center of the body because else you could look right through walls when crouching close to them.

terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

6th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

i like this midget thing a lot. How hard it would be to make a mini-mod with half sized players?

badger³

mmm π

50 XP

15th October 2004

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

mmm midgets, why not throw in some umpa-lumpa skins to finish the effect :P