SymZ

Someone set us up the bomb

50 XP

9th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,148 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

If .7 is the last release for the BF1942 engine do you think map packs like the FH map pack, or even possibly Otolikos/Havoc could be officially adopted into the mod for the sake of the final release? That way they wouldn't be seperate files. Anyhow it was just a thought for discussion, what do you guys think?

=TFM=Melvin

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

30th March 2005

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Many map packs are over 200MByte. That could be one huge release! Although, I guess it would keep everything together. Sometimes it can be hard to hunt down separate files. What I would have liked to see as far FH finalization would have been a BF1942 change. Toss DICE's version of WW2 and use the FH version! Hey, DICE got it all started; without them we wouldn't have FH (at least as it is today). But it would have been sweet to see DICE finish BF1942 with the FH version of WW2. ... I can dream, can't I?!?! ;)

Arisaka

Staff suffers from PCD

50 XP

16th August 2004

0 Uploads

1,495 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago
If .7 is the last release for the BF1942 engine..

....then dice had better speed up and release the bf2-toolkit :uhoh:

SymptomatiKIf .7 is the last release for the BF1942 engine do you think map packs like the FH map pack, or even possibly Otolikos/Havoc could be officially adopted into the mod for the sake of the final release? That way they wouldn't be seperate files. Anyhow it was just a thought for discussion, what do you guys think?

i'd like that very much. there are some great maps out there, and some of them are in areas where FH is lacking (bocage). the installer could/should mention that the latter part of the installation is not official, so that if somebody notices something they don't like they don't jump all over the poor devs. For instance in the beginning of the installation there could be the classic menu where one can choose "minimal (fh-official maps only)", "full (fh-official maps + a couple of map packs, including otolikos and fan mappack)", or "custom".

i don't worry much about the file size. those who are left with FH will probably not bother if FH hits 2gigs, or even 2-3. and i also believe that the big filesize might attract newcomers, rather than deter them, because they'll get curious at what could possibly take that much space (and we already know what that is: quality)

Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

4th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

They should release .7 "normally", and put the map-packs under the anouncement, stressing that you SHOULD download them to.. to get the most out of FH.

SymZ

50 XP

9th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,148 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

My idea behind suggesting it was that the files were no longer seperate and since it could be the final release on that engine it would be nice to bring things together for a more varied release to help last the test of time before the release of FH2.

FactionRecon

11PzG Grunt

50 XP

4th August 2003

0 Uploads

3,889 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

I really think that they should be included. Make it the "last hurrah" for the fan maps for the BF1942 engine. They deserve a big send off, especially as so many fans put time into them.

benseras

:-)

50 XP

3rd June 2005

0 Uploads

266 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago
I really think that they should be included. Make it the "last hurrah" for the fan maps for the BF1942 engine. They deserve a big send off, especially as so many fans put time into them.

I like this idea - the "last hurrah" so that the fans go like that.. :dropsjaw:

If .7 is the last release for the BF1942 engine do you think map packs like the FH map pack, or even possibly Otolikos/Havoc could be officially adopted into the mod for the sake of the final release? That way they wouldn't be seperate files.

Anyhow it was just a thought for discussion, what do you guys think?

-->this would be great - also a that u get asked for parts when running the installation would be very nice... Hope the FH-team keeps up some ideas here around...:gpost:

hslan.Faust

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

11th October 2004

0 Uploads

300 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

it would be realy nice if the FH team could include about 4-5 of the best maps of those excellent mappacks in the official 0.7 download! not more because of the sheer downloadsize which can be expected from the final BF42 FH release which might eventually hinder distribution. those extra maps and the regular, additional improvements and maps of FH 0.7 will give us hardcore FH fans even more motivation for the (hopefully not long) wait for FH2! :) p.s.: geeeee, the PzIII! :naughty:

SymZ

50 XP

9th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,148 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago
benserasI like this idea - the "last hurrah" so that the fans go like that..

I also think that whether something is 'official' or not certainly helps with the amount of people we would see playing the maps that are available to us as not necessarily everyone knows these packs are available or where to get them, I mean that's the only way I could come to an understanding as to why the packs are always less frequently played.

Abearikishiswisscheese

Member 35698 thinks I'm a spec

50 XP

27th June 2004

0 Uploads

437 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

I think this would be a great idea. Besides, if you're downloading a file over 2gbs, would you notice an extra 200mb? I know that I wouldn't.