Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

Posted this on WOLF forums, someone suggested putting it here as well. Yes, I was bored, yes it's better than doing firewall vendor evaluation spreadsheets. Enjoy.

This map _still_ seems to engender a lot of confusion. However, recently we've been having a few good games with it, and I'm happy to see that it's found its way back home to daddy, albeit wet, hungry and bedraggled. So, here's the guide to playing the map. Yossarian, stop picking your nose and pay attention back there.

There are four sections: General Stuff, Axis, Allied and Pictures (map layout, pics of objectives, etc. -- comes at the very end.)

GENERAL STUFF The Big Idea:

Basically, each several one-shot targets to destroy. Midway-1942 is the only map that incorporates both fixed targets and vehicle targets, which seems to cause all kinds of "huh wha?" Once a team's targets are destroyed, the opposing team can no longer spawn. There are no repair units -- damage taken is permanent.

Scoring & Play Style:

Unfortunately, because of either a bug or the way the map is made, you must then hunt down and kill every single one of the enemy team's players before the rapid countdown begins. This tends to piss off a lot of panzer weenies impatient to get to the next map while they can't spawn (and some genius is looping around in a Zero somewhere, or hiding out in a hut.) Hence you get a bit of smacktardish behavior, especially at the end. Admins, beware.

And stay the hell off the island, at least during gameplay. I strongly recommend being a bit lenient with the rules once all of a given team's targets are gone and that team has no chance of striking back (i.e. no fully loaded B-17 in the air, that sort of thing.) One weenie hiding out in a hut in the island can draw out the game for ages. After all, the Japanese did want to invade Midway; shouldn't they be allowed to once the defenders are wiped out? :-)

AXIS

Overall:

As Axis, you have to destroy the Allied fleet and some buildings. Your only spawn points are three carriers and two destroyers, which you must guard carefully. You will have to be far more aggressive and active with these than in any other Pacific naval maps. The only way for Axis to win is twofold:

(a) prioritize your targets (b) teamwork, loads of teamwork

Targets:

You have two types of targets: land-based and sea-based. The sea-based targets are the Allied fleet, 2 carriers and 2 destroyers. The land-based targets are 4 Quonset huts (look like half-buried large oil barrels on their sides) on the East island (with the airfields) and a large hangar, oriented diagonally, at the Southeast of the West island.

The Quonset huts are infantry spawn points, but the West island hangar causes the B-17 and B-26 to spawn. Destroy it and the Allies lose their most important air assets.

Carriers: MOVE THEM. Do it quickly. Ignore whiners ("quit moving the carriers") but try to drive them backwards, or at least slowly so people can take off. When nobody is taking off, or you're under heavy attack, pour it on. People should man AA guns if they can't take off.

Get the carriers somewhere safe, but don't park them there forever, you will be found, and when you are, you're dead if you stay. The best places are either along the outside rim of the map or somewhere they're not expecting. Also, don't forget to orient your carriers depending on where you expect attacks to come from. A B-17 coming straight to A/B6 from the island will have a harder time dropping a string of bombs on your deck if you're oriented North-South than if you're pointing East-West. Look at the map to figure out the best position.

Do not bunch up your ships. Bunched carriers are dead carriers. There is no safety in numbers.

The Destroyers:

You have no torpedoes, but you have two mines. You also reload more quickly then the Allied DDs, although you generally have less firepower. Gang up first thing, and take out their destroyers one by one. The reason for this is that if they lose their ships, they can still spawn on land, but if you lose yours, you're gone. Their destroyers, left on their own, will rape your carriers.

If you survive that battle, go after their carriers quickly. They start at the Northeast, but may have moved.

If you're still alive, go for flags or help your own carriers with AA (you have 2 25mm batteries each) and help hunt down PT boats that will be coming from the islands.

Air (General): Get airborne, fast. The only way Axis can win this is through bombing.

Always call out enemy units. Ships especially -- if you see one, tell your team what, where and in what direction, plus if you hit it, and with what.

The most important naval units to kill are the destroyers, followed by the carriers, followed by the PT boats.

Air (Vals):

Your main weapon is the Val (dive bomber.) Use it like a dive bomber -- level bombing will get you killed uselessly. All Vals should initially go for the island targets (first the hangar, then the huts.) Fly high, and go into a steep dive the moment you're over the target to give AA less chance to react.

Air (Kates):

All Kates should immediately go for the Allied carriers.

Air (Zeroes): All Zeroes should first look for the B-17/B-26, then go actively hunting Allied bombers (especially SBDs.) Pay attention to high altitudes, as the most lethal SBD attacks come from there. If you are flying CAP for a carrier, pay attention to the fore and aft, where his AA cannot reach him.

Priorities & Tactics:

• You should NOT go for the flag initially, or at least send no more than one guy to do so.
  • Fighters should find and destroy the B-17 as quickly as possible.
  • Bombers should take out the West island hangar (see below) as quickly as possible.
  • Your destroyers should team up and engage (1) the enemy destroyers, one by one if possible, and (2) the enemy carriers.
  • Your carriers should get the hell out of dodge, see below.
  • All infantry waiting for planes should man an AA gun
  • The island is bristling with AA. Use the clouds, gain altitude and dive bomb the targets from high up. The same goes for ships.

ALLIED

Overall: Your goal is to wipe out the Axis ships using your land- and sea-borne air units. You are fighting essentially a "defensive offense" and must put more work into protecting your assets. You have several individually very hard-hitting units (the destroyers, the B-17, the PTs); use them.

Targets:

Your targets are three carriers and two destroyers, that spawn at the West end of the map.

Carriers: You have two. MOVE THEM. Do it quickly. Same as with Japanese for the "quit movin' the carrier" weenies, but again, please try to do so in a manner that lets at least some people take off.

Someone should be manning the elevators at all time, as an SBD and F4F spawn belowdecks. You will need these, work together.

If you are waiting for a plane, man an AA gun instead.

Destroyers:

Your first goal should be to head off the Jap destroyers coming for your carriers. Kill them, preferably by working together. If you can kill their DDs, you can go crazy at their carriers.

PT Boats: You have two of these; they spawn on the North shore of the East island and the Southeast corner of the West island. Each carries 2 loads of 4 torpedoes which it cannot reload. They respawn, albeit slowly. The PTs are one of the more powerful Allied weapons, although very crunchy. To use them effectively, you must get them out of the lagoon and sneak around the Axis air. A single strafing Zero, if your bofors gunner is not paying attention, will do you in very quickly. For best effect, unload torpedoes at Axis carriers at a 90 degree angle -- they do horrendous damage, and each PT should be able to sink at least 1 carrier on its own if it gets through the Axis air patrol. You should always make sure you have at least the bofors manned. After unloading your torps, find a carrier and make sure no planes get very far away from it -- your two twin MGs have limited ammo, but the bofors can fire forever (minus overheating.) Air (General): Always call out enemy units. Ships especially -- if you see one, tell your team what, where and in what direction, plus if you hit it, and with what. The most important naval units to kill, if you see them, are the destroyers, followed by the carriers.

Air (B-17 / B-26):

These spawn at the East end of the East island runways -- the B-26 at the North, the B-17 at the South. They are the single most obnoxiously overpowered weapons (the B-17 more so) in the game, due to stupid amounts of machine guns, heavy bomb loads, crazy rate of climb and the ability to essentially dive bomb. Get these off the ground quickly, but don't forget your gunners. Particularly on the B-17, your gunners should be able to make short shrift of most Axis planes. For best results, attack carriers lengthwise. A single stick of bombs from the B-17 should do a carrier.

Air (SBDs):

Easy. Bomb stuff. Fly high, dive bomb, and plant as many fat ones near the back where their plane campers wait as you can.

Air (TBDs): Easy. Bomb stuff. Torpedo bombers should come in low, straight and slow-ish, and release as far from the target as possible while still being confident of hitting it (torpedoes first dive into the water before coming up to a level where they will hit the target.

Island AA:

There isn't much to do on the West island except man the AA. If they're all taken, don't spawn there. Same on the East island--the 3" AA batteries are surprisingly effective, and there are a few bofors around too.

Priorities & Tactics:

• You should NOT go for the flag initially, or at least send no more than one guy to do so.
  • Get the B-26/B-17 up, with gunners.
  • Your destroyers should team up and engage (1) the enemy destroyers, one by one if possible, and (2) the enemy carriers.
  • Your carriers should get the hell out of dodge, see below.
  • All infantry waiting for planes should man an AA gun
  • The island is bristling with AA. Use it.

PRETTY GRAPHICS:

Map Layout: mapic7.th.jpg

Here you see the starting positions of the Axis and Allied fleet. (1) marks the spot, described in the Allied section, where the PT boats can enter/exit the lagoon. Also, note pointers to the targets on the Allied islands.

airfieldhm1.th.jpg

This is the Allied airfield (East island.) (1) are the four Quonset hut targets. They are fairly crunchy. (2) are the SBD / F4F spawns (one SBD/F4F combo North & South each) (3) are the B-26 (I'm in it) and B-17 spawn points (4) is the way to the East island PT boat.

hutsdestroyeded6.th.jpg

This is the East island after two of the Quonset huts have been destroyed.

hangarlj3.th.jpg

This is the West island. (1) is the main target (the hangar -- it is very robust.) (2) is the way to the West island PT boat (at the dock)

hangardestroyedqx0.th.jpg

This is the West island after the hangar (1) has been destroyed. (2) is the PT boat.

wjlaslo

I've defected to the Pies

50 XP

13th August 2004

0 Uploads

2,762 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

Good guide. I already knew most of it from Lobo's Essential Guide to Midway thread but it's still useful.

Dam! I've tried SO MANY TIMES to give you rep over the last month but I need to "spread it around".

affeee

Proud to be an FH player

50 XP

15th January 2006

0 Uploads

368 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

very nice guide

Toekar

Proud to be American

50 XP

21st August 2005

0 Uploads

980 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago

Ooo.. good job Fuzzy. I (among others) have found that map a bit confusing. this clears a lot up for me Can't give you anymore rep :(

Kurb King

All my base are belong to n0e

50 XP

11th April 2005

0 Uploads

533 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

Nice guide. There are still many people who have no idea how to play this map who spend all their time whining: "this map sucks" or "no moving the carrier noob" or "This map is too slow for my fast paced, 1 hour photo, instant oatmeal, ADD attention span" And hardly no one on axis goes after the objectives, they focus too much on points and kills, makes for a very frustrating round.

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#6 12 years ago

Those of you who are confused about the not-so-straightforward objective maps (which I _LOVE_ _LOVE_ _LOVE_) should check out Yossarian's "Soletschnogorsk for Dummies" guide at WOLF:

http://wolfgaming.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29242

I really really really hope that FH2 has way more of these maps (LOBO YOU LISTENING?) They're awesome.

craka)(craka

Stack it high, tough guy!

50 XP

9th January 2005

0 Uploads

566 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago

Nice guide, helped me get out of some confusion. I think this should be a sticky!

Lobo

All your base are belong to FH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

6,883 Posts

0 Threads

#8 12 years ago

yes, I LISTENING, but the sad reality is our beloved players dislike slightly the complicated maps, yourself was not very fan of Pegasus in her first youth steps in our servers, FUZZYBUNNY YOU LISTENING?

Sicarius

AIDS Monkey

50 XP

2nd February 2006

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

People will have to get used to it then! Objective Maps are "teh shit". And are awesome for public games, competitive play, AND promote massive amounts of teamwork....Although, they could be structured better somehow (Flags matter too much compared to the objectives)

..IM NOT IMPORTANT BUT IM LISTENING!?

Fuzzy Bunny

Luke, I am your mother.

50 XP

2nd May 2005

0 Uploads

6,274 Posts

0 Threads

#10 12 years ago
Lobo;3406831yes, I LISTENING, but the sad reality is our beloved players dislike slightly the complicated maps, yourself was not very fan of Pegasus in her first youth steps in our servers, FUZZYBUNNY YOU LISTENING?

The screw 'em. There always have been and always will be people who like simplistic slug-fests, and those who like more complex maps. Both have their place, and people whining about maps is part of the game, ignore them.

Lobo, Pegasus is awesome. However, I was never a fan of one certain aspect of Pegasus, and I am still not -- that is the fixed mortar emplacements, but that's not the point of this argument.

I really <3 <3 <3 diversity of maps -- especially those that require some advanced tactics. For me, maps like Soletschnogorsk, Berlin-1945, Lilliput and Midway-1942 are the culmination of FH so far, and if you can get push working without bugs in FH2, more power to you. Head-to-head king of the hill-type maps like Breakthrough are really fun, but please do keep mixing in "thinking man's maps" like this one.

And I'm with Sicarius--in this specific case, the flag could really stand to go, but aside from the ticket countdown bug at the end when one team's objectives are dead, that's really the only constructive criticism I have.