Tin Soldier

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

17th April 2007

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#73 13 years ago

Aussie Uniforms need to be fixed to be any were near historical, no matter how good the map is!!! (not taking anything away from the map,..it looks great). But here is what the real Australian WW2 S.D. Uniform looks like plus cuffs in detail but obviously would have been faded from sun & covered in dust. The Australians still wore the old style tunic very similar to WW1 with skirt section with two large bottom pockets (similar to German WW2 Tunic) were British Commonwealth troops other than Australia wore the Battle Dress pattern uniform with no bottom skirt section with pockets as the Australians are wearing in Tobruk & Cretan Village (this is incorrect)! Plus would be good to see some Aussies in the desert maps with the slouch down on their hats as they were suppose to protedct their face from the sun & what about some goggles on some hats & helmets on Allies in desert maps??? And like other original photos of Aussies taken in Tobruk what about some models with shirts & shorts or long desert colored cotton trousers, this is the desert remember it did get very cold at night but during the day 58c degrees not many soldiers running around in wool pants & jackets:beer: See the bloke in first photo of real Anzacs on the R/H side with the small wounds all over him,...looks like a Hard Bastard!!! WW2 2/2nd Australian Infantry Battalion Tunic & Slouch Hat Plus two photos taken at Tobruk of Australians,...Enjoy!!!

Tin Soldier

50 XP

17th April 2007

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#74 13 years ago

Here are a couple of diagrams from Osprey book The Australian Army at War 1899-1975 showing three variants of Australian Uniforms worn in the Middle East.

Tin Soldier

50 XP

17th April 2007

0 Uploads

19 Posts

0 Threads

#75 13 years ago

Plus also noticed that soldiers with Rifles don't have any bayonets on their equipment (they should)!!! doesn't have to be on the rifle but at least hanging off the belt? Infact the first clash against the DAk & Australian soldiers at Tobruk was on the night of 13-14 April 1941, when a couple of German Machine Gun teams & about 50 men broke through the wire to get set up inside the perimeter. So the Australian officer in charge of that Post from 2/17th Battalion realised he didn't have a second to lose & decided to make a bayonet charge. With only seven men only at his disposal they started off to try & dislodge them before they got properly set up. This is were Australia recieved it's first Victoria Cross during WW2 in Cpl. Jack Edmondson from Liverpool N.S.W. who recieved a burst of Machine Gun fire in the stomach & was also hit in the neck in the initial charge but still proceeded with his mates & even saved his Captain from a struggle with two Germans, and while bayoneting one the blade broke off in the Germans chest. From the Captains words himself: "And before the Germans could open up again we were into them. They left their guns and scattered. In their panic some actually ran slap into the barbed wire behind them and another party that was coming through the gap turned and fled. We went for them with the bayonet. In spite of his wounds Edmondson was magnificent. By this time I was in difficulties wrestling with one German on the ground while another was coming straight at me with a pistol. I called out - 'Jack' - and from fifteen yards away Edmondson ran to help me and bayoneted both Germans. He then went on and bayoneted at least two more. [Mackell quoted in Barton Maughan, Tobruk and El Alamein, Canberra, 1966, pp. 148-149] This charge drove the Germans back out beyond the perimeter but Jack collapsed straight after, his mates still not realising at this stage that he had been hit, so they carried him back to the Post but then came under heavy artillery fire & could not be evacuated from the Post until next morning, but it was too late Jack passed away during the early hours of that morning. (Lest We Forget)