GF makes me horny

50 XP

7th March 2004

0 Uploads

85 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Did some research on the nightfighters, found this: Nightfighter Tactics

Schräge Musik (slanting music, or Jazz) In the Schräge Musik tactic, the nightfighters carried specially equipped 20mm cannon almost upright in the fuselage or rear cockpit of the planes. Since they were aimed upward, a nightfighter pilot would, in a feat of incredible piloting skill, approach the unsuspecting bomber from behind and below (usually a RAF bomber's blind spot) and remain seemingly suspended there as he moved closer and closer to the bomber's fuselage. Then he would aim the guns through a special "Revi" reflector site (like a upward viewing periscope)and fire away with tracerless shells -- taking care to hit the fuel tanks and not the bomb bay, since an explosion of the bomb load might destroy his own aircraft. The nightfighters were armed with three 7.9mm MG17 machine guns and three 20mm cannon. A short burst of this heavy armament usually resulted in the bomber immediately exploding into flames. Later versions of the Ju 88 night fighter were fitted with two 20mm MG151 cannon mounted in the top of the fuselage and firing upwards at an angle of between 70o and 80o. This lethal tactic caused great damages to the RAF night bombers and had once achieved a killing rate of one bomber per minute!

schraege.gif Would be cool to have this in FH! What do you think?

Gauntlet

Dead rather than Red!

50 XP

25th April 2004

0 Uploads

4,346 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Not realy. Will be very hard to manouver in under the bomber without beeing spottet. The maps in FH is too light. Besides, these fighters had two gunsights, on forward, and one upwards. How can they make that in FH?

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

Forgotten Hope's maps aren't big enough to get in such a position.

Gauntlet

Dead rather than Red!

50 XP

25th April 2004

0 Uploads

4,346 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

True.

:)

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

Schrage Musik was very successful and in the case of the Lancaster and Halifax, they didnt have belly turrets to spot bombers. But they did have a airborne warning radar reciever that let them know they were being tracked by a Nachtjagers search radar.

And I agree that the FH maps are too small but I have no doubt there are pilots of MG42's calibre that would make deadly use of it.

ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago
GauntletBesides, these fighters had two gunsights, on forward, and one upwards. How can they make that in FH?

I suppose the devs could do something like the tank gunsight, one view if from the cockpit the oter, looking out the second gunsight.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

The Uhu in FH has this feature, 2x 30mm firing in a 60° or 70° (don't remember) angle. You can try to aim by moving th ecam by mouseview to the highest elevation, it will show where you hit.

Josey Wales

Save the wales !

50 XP

30th November 2003

0 Uploads

508 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago
odin (ger) ... in a feat of incredible piloting skill...

I think that says it all.Would be a nice feature, but think of all those n00bs and newbs on public servers + as mentioned above, the maps are too small.

JW

Edit : Hartman, are you serious ?i hope that wont be the only gun ? I see all those people crash while they try to strafe the airfield flyin upside down...

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago
Major HartmannThe Uhu in FH has this feature, 2x 30mm firing in a 60° or 70° (don't remember) angle. You can try to aim by moving th ecam by mouseview to the highest elevation, it will show where you hit.

Great !!! :)

I don't think it is more difficult then attacking a bomber in a more conventional way, or you should need more room for it.

There are not many servers running FH maps where you have to attack medium and heavy bombers, so it might have escaped some players the gunners of bombers have become quitte powerfull....

That means, if you attack from 6 o'clock position you'll end up with bullets in your nose, straigt into the engine and you will go down in seconds.

The worst position to attack a heavy bomber from is high behind it......several mg positions cover that angle in a heavy bomber. The least number of mg can be aimed at a low flying flank attacking fighter, ( difficult angle for fighter to attack in ) head on attack ( collission danger ) or attack the belly.

With the schräge musik you do just the latter mentioned, without having to pull up ( bounce ) under the bomber to aim your guns at it......so it is even more practical then a normal fighter. Sights are not really nessesary, you'll know when that large bomber is over you.....question of right timing.

A surviving pilot of a ME 110 on Discovery Channel with schräge musik installed said his version was even triggered by an optical device, when the bomber was above the ME 110 it went off. Seems this device worked at night and used star or moonlight to detect something casting a shadow over the ME 110. Quitte possible it did not fuction when the skies were clouded.

The only disadvantage of the schräge musik in FH is almost all aircraft, contrary to real bombers fly treetop altitude......

That is why the belly turrets are rarely used or have to be used, and the schräge musik weapon might fail in FH when bomber pilots discover when they fly low, they cannot be attacked by schräge musik. Hopefully aircraft equipped with it also have foreward firing weapons.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

when they fly low though, aa will tear them to shreads