Lets take a ride on a Steam Train 7 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,996 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I've been playing a lot of Train Simulator recently, and discovered the new Rail Fan mode when I picked up the latest content thanks to the recent Humble Bundle.

As such, I though I would take a few photos using the photography mode.

This is taken at Dawlish, near Exeter, a place I have visited in real life, but set in the 1950's. Here we see a GWR castle-class and some other tank engine or another, enjoy!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,205 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,111 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 1 year ago

You should do the Horseshoe Curve DLC (assuming that you have it) as that is near where both book and I live.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#3 1 year ago

How does that signal work? If a green sign points 45 degrees downwards rather that upwards, how does it turn to indicate a stop signal? A failing cable should cause the signal to turn red, but if it points straight down it might be a bit hard to read the signal...  I see that a horizontal arm would also move the red tainted glass to move infront of the lighsource and thus indicate a stop signal so that is how it seems to work but it seems a bit less failproof than the classic semaphore design... =/ 

FileTrekker Über Admin

266,996 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#4 1 year ago
"Admiral Donutz"How does that signal work? If a green sign points 45 degrees downwards rather that upwards, how does it turn to indicate a stop signal? A failing cable should cause the signal to turn red, but if it points straight down it might be a bit hard to read the signal...  I see that a horizontal arm would also move the red tainted glass to move infront of the lighsource and thus indicate a stop signal so that is how it seems to work but it seems a bit less failproof than the classic semaphore design... =/ 

Correct.

This is actually the original design of semaphore, which was used primarily by the Great Western Railway, back before signalling technology matured. Stop is indicated by a horizontal arm, as are regular semaphore signals, but the quirk is that these semaphore signals do indeed indicate proceed with a lowered arm.

These designs use a counter-weight system to ensure that they don't wrong-side fail, i.e. a failure will revert the signal to danger. They are still inherently less safe than the regular BR design, though, and were phased out slowly by British Railways. Semaphore signalling is still surprisingly common on UK railways, in more rural areas, but color-light signalling is now the standard. There's no signals of this type left on the mainline, though, as far as I know.

There was a famous incident where three trains collided on a very cold and wintery day due to the signal freezing in the down (clear) position, which is why these types of signals are not favoured.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 1 year ago

I just want to say I blame FileTrekker entirely for my rising interest in trains and Train Simulator. Rather paradoxically, I feel more drawn towards German trains than British ones. They're mot familiar to me, I suppose, since most of the trains we use up here are German or Italian(fucking AB)

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Steamengines equal German loco's to me. Diesel and electric trains were mostly Dutch design and build untill I think the 90's or so. Then they got involved with companies such as Bombadier and also with AB (promosing that the high speed trains wouldn't be suck a fucking distaster as the mess AB created in a few other countries, we wouldn't have any problems they assured us, untill it all went tits up). 

And I love the nostalgic look of semaphore signals. Though for their obvious drawbacks you will not find them anywhere in NL anymore (except museum yards and lines). 

FileTrekker Über Admin

266,996 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Foolishly bought some new DLC, so here are some more shots from Bristol Temple Meads in, well, Bristol.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Spot the obvious operational error - my jaw dropped when I saw this!

5.jpg6.jpg

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#8 1 year ago

I don't think even I've forgotten to close the doors before driving off.