Aliens vs. Predator (2010) Review 73 replies

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 8 years ago
Aliens Vs. Predator
avp_g4w_2dpack_pegi-noscale-727x1024.jpg
Overview 3 Different species collide in an interstellar battle for supremacy, the humans testing and using alien specimens, the predators vying for control over their territory which the humans have discovered while the Aliens expectedly escape and cause havoc for the other species.
I must say, i've been looking forward to this game for a long time, although Rebellions more recent efforts have put doubts in my mind as to how much they could disappoint me. Did they meet the goals of fans and surprise other gamers who looked at the title with severe skepticism? Or did they fail and deliver a mediocre, at best, title that only echoes what was once a thriving franchise in the gaming community? Well we will see.
Graphics: 9/10 With Aliens vs. Predators' advanced graphics it's almost hard to say it isn't something to gander at and appreciate while you unload clips into Xenomorphs and Predators alike. Its dynamic lighting helps to show off the grand architecture and complex environments with reflective lighting and dynamic ambient lighting. It's textures have amazing amounts of detail and can show you every inch of a Xeno's, Marines, or Predators body and weaponry with astounding accuracy leaving fans of the series relishing every minute of all the game has to offer, especially in DirextX 11 with it's Tesselation and advanced lighting. The way the light shimmers off of water and the sleak, black, Xenomorph bodies is almost something to behold while treading through sewers with debri hanging from the ceiling and garbage on the ground with a light source or two showing a path. Although, there are some small graphical glitches you may encounter, although not too common and only noticeable for a slight second, it doesn't pry away from Rebellions efforts to bring the AVP universe to life with it's rich level design and compelling array of variety in environments, changing from claustrophobic, dark interiors, to large outdoor area's with realtime backdrops of enourmous buildings towering hundreds, possibly thousands of feet above the player seamlessly.
Controls: 8/10 At first they take some getting used to, especially the Alien since it has a dizzying role of going from wall to ceiling, to floor, and then back to the ceiling, but everything is taken into account so well, it works smoothly to create an easy way of transitioning from all the different surfaces as an alien, and jumping from treetop from treetop as predator. Melee can be frustrating to some, and may not fully be able to grasp it too quickly, but with enough play time it's sure to come into it's own as you advance throughout the game, countering, blocking, and finally, finishing opponents.
Story: 7.5/10 The story is satisfying and straightforward, not overly complex and it provides a nice amount of twists and surprises hidden within it. Although the Predalien, which is introduced so early in the Predators campaign, doesn't appear again until much, much later in the story, making you wonder what happened to it throughout the rest of the story, aswell as throughout the marines story, as they take place pretty much on the same time frame. I will also say that the ending to the Aliens story, although exciting, to see what becomes of our little xeno friend at the end, becomes completely null from what you will soon discover upon starting the marine or predator campaign. So apart from the questionable details of the predalien and the lack of each species stories combining more throughout the game, the story isn't an award winner, but it was a very pleasing experiance, which leaves itself open.
Gameplay: 9.5/10 With the 3 different races, it offers variety of plenty sorts for all gamers, Marine for the intense, survival horror esque, first person shooter experiance, and Predator and Alien for the stealth approaches, but each in their own way as the Alien must rely on speed and agility while the Predator relies on tactics and brute force. As i played through the Marine campaign i found myself elated throughout it's entirety, with a nice variety of enemies, a large array of weaponry to use at my disposal against synthetics, aliens, and predators, and the seemingly neverending feeling of despair as the marine sloshed his way through brutal, bloody battles and escaped from enemies that never quit, as the aliens jump from wall to wall dodging your gunfire. The Marine truly was an exhilirating struggle for life as you fought to keep facehuggers off you, bash at aliens which had their legs blown off, clawing and grabbing at you, running and hiding from the Predators firing off their shoulder cannons at you and laughing in the background, giving you the sense that at any moment they could jump down and make a trophy out of you. There are also collectible audio diaries scattered throughout each level which you can collect and listen to, to gain more knowledge on what happened there and about the facilities past. No other campaign quite offers the reward of truly experiancing earth shattering intensity and horror like the moment you accidentally wonder into an egg den armed with a flamethrower and seeing one of them open right before you, or having the aliens blended into the environment and come crawling out of the walls like in the movies.
Alien was refreshing to play again, with fond memories of hiding on the ceiling and hissing at civilians and soldiers, causing them to flee or spray their weaponry in the direction they think you are, only to quickly run behind them and headbite them, only this time, the gore is upped, and the AI is smarter but still has the same dynamic feel like in the original although they won't run screaming from you or drop their weapons this time around. No, this time the marines are tough, they have sentries set up, they have flamethrowers, they have auto targeting smartguns, shotguns, "they've got tactical missles, sharp knives and pointed sticks", this time, there ready for you.... Almost. Like in the original you can also hiss, but this time it serves a more important function, leading a soldier away from a group perhaps or out into an open area, although be careful, if the marine has seen too much or becomes too nervous, it will ignore your calls for the desire to rip your steely fangs into there skulls and play it safe. Transitioning from surface to surface soon becomes a natural instinct as you whip out lights with your tail creating a veil of darkness around you while you jump halfway across the room before they even knew you were there. The Alien has 3 weapons at his disposal, light attack, for quick ambushing, heavy attack, for stunning your prey and commensing a finisher on them, or tail whip, which you perform while on a wall or ceiling, which also knocks them down but is much quicker. Crawling right above the heads of unwary marines as you lay your trap and take them out has never fealt so natural or satisfying until now where you can litterally impale enemies with your tail, head bite their eyes or brains out, or even rip there heads off.
The Predator. The lord of the jungle, the ultimate hunter, the demon, all names derived from the fact that the Predator is indeed what his name implies. Through every level you jump from treetop to treetop, rooftop to rooftop, rubble to rubble, or mabye you prefer a more direct approach? Wizzing by unsuspecting marines while cloaked, startling them, or mabye you want to lay some mines for a patrol to stumble upon and then take out any survivors with your spear or Shoulder cannon? The Predator truly is the most sandbox experiance throughout all 3 campaigns and certainly lives up to his namesake. Trophy killing is a glorifyingly violent situation in which your tear the skull from the marines body along with his spine (sometimes), one trophy kill i find to be particularly interesting, is how the predator pulls the marines head off by ripping his spine out of his stomach and pulls his head out along with it. Stealth killing is also prevalent in the Predators campaign, along with the Aliens. Although as a predator, sneaking up on prey is all the more easier, with the ability to cloak and jump behind a marine, he'll have a wristblade through his chest before his buddies are even aware your near them! Fighting the aliens as a predator is also it's own reward, and when it's 3 on 1, you know it's a fair fight, tossing a disc blade at one, slicing it's leg off and causing it to fall from where it was on a wall or ceiling or mabye causing one to explode in a fashion of limbs and blood with a charged shot from the shoulder cannon, you take out your prey how you want to, although i feel like the predator should be given a speargun or plasma pistol to his arsenal. Either way, at the end of the day, playing as the predator shows what it's really like to have power.
Multiplayer: 8/10 I haven't been able to get into too many online games so far, but from what i've experianced, it is very fun, especially the specific game modes tailored for the game such as Infestation or Predator hunt, where the Predator must eliminate the marines within the given amount of time or in infestation where there is 1 alien and the rest are marines and the alien must kill players to add forces to the xeno horde. It uses both a matchmaking system and a browser based system, with matchmaking having either normal player matches or ranked matches. There are also 7 total game modes, and 8 total maps put together for all game modes.
Overall: 8.4/10 I found Aliens Vs. Predator to be an extremely satisfying throwback to the times when Rebellion knew how to make good games and from the weeks i've spent going through the levels of AVP GOLD 1999 over and over again. It's a great game that offers a unique atmosphere with a blend of survival horror, stealth, and FPS all in one box with a well worked MP. Theres no other experiance quite like AvP in the gaming genre and it still proves to be a working combination to this day, showing that yes, Aliens and Predators DO work well together and yes, this IS a truly great game to start the new year off with.

Ufiniti

fast and furious

50 XP

19th February 2010

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

Hmnn I saw on gamespot this got a 4.5/10!!!

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 8 years ago
Ufiniti;5246016Hmnn I saw on gamespot this got a 4.5/10!!!

And IGN Uk gave it an 8.5/10, so whats your point? And it was a 5.5, not a 4.5.

Please, feel free to post comments on your thoughts of the game and my review.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago

Gamespot rated the PC version 5.5. On GameRankings the overall is 71% (7.1/10) for the PC version and a dismal 65% for the 360. GameRankings - Video Game Reviews from around the Internet

It really skews the average when one site ranks on a title hard though. I trust GameTrailer's reviews over GameSpot's anymore, and their rating of 7.7/10 is probably a lot closer to the average opinion than 7.1. Even GT mentioned they thought it didn't bring much new to the series though. Aliens Vs Predator Video Game, Review HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Whenever you have a makeover graphically of a series and showcase scenes that were in the movies, you have to count on die hard fans of A & P movies and AvP games and movies to be the bulk of the audience. Most have mentioned the story is a bit weak though, which doesn't help.

I'm sure it's worth a play, and I still plan to. I just need to finish up my final run of DiRT 2 on Hardcore, then get back to a few titles I put on hold ever since D2 came out, before giving this one a whirl.

As far as GS goes, note that of 408 user scores listed on the same review page, it averages 8.4/10. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/review.html

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 8 years ago
>Omen<;5246155Gamespot rated the PC version 5.5. On GameRankings the overall is 71% (7.1/10) for the PC version and a dismal 65% for the 360. GameRankings - Video Game Reviews from around the Internet It really skews the average when one site ranks on a title hard though. I trust GameTrailer's reviews over GameSpot's anymore, and their rating of 7.7/10 is probably a lot closer to the average opinion than 7.1. Even GT mentioned they thought it didn't bring much new to the series though. Aliens Vs Predator Video Game, Review HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com Whenever you have a makeover graphically of a series and showcase scenes that were in the movies, you have to count on die hard fans of A & P movies and AvP games and movies to be the bulk of the audience. Most have mentioned the story is a bit weak though, which doesn't help. I'm sure it's worth a play, and I still plan to. I just need to finish up my final run of DiRT 2 on Hardcore, then get back to a few titles I put on hold ever since D2 came out, before giving this one a whirl. As far as GS goes, note that of 408 user scores listed on the same review page, it averages 8.4/10. Aliens vs Predator Review for PC - GameSpot

then they haven't played too many AvP games. The completely reworked melee system and trophy kill system is very new and a large portion of the games gameplay mechanics rely on that. Even though that's one of the only changes, it's still a big one, worthy of experiancing first hand as it truly does even the playing field a little bit for aliens and predators. The story gets by, it's not "weak", it's reasonable and it works. Now it's 8.3... I assume my review was pretty accurate according to what the actual gamers thought of it. I only presented what i experianced during my playthrough. I can definately say i'll be coming back to this game to replay it's levels quite a bit, although i was disappointed when i found out the predator didn't start out with the disc, proximity mines, spear or alien vision mode. Lets just put it this way, i'm a huge fan of Bioshock, i thought that game was a masterfully well put together peice of art... But i found Aliens vs. Predator to be more enjoyable then Bioshock 2... If anything, Bioshock 2 adds less to the originals formula then AVP does.

•PSM3 91% •OXPM 90% •OPM 9/10 •Hardgame 9/10 •OXM AUS 9/10 •GI (Aus) 8.7/10 •Seraphic Gaming 8.6/10 •Gamez.nl 86/100 •IGN UK 8.5/10 •GamingXP.Com 84% •PC Zone 82% •Gamers.AT 81% •OXM UK 8/10 •Onet.pl 8/10 •GamesRadar 8/10 •Empire Magazine 4/5 •TechDigest.TV 4/5 •TheGuardian.co.uk 4/5 •3DJuegos 7.8/10 •Gamervision 7.75/10 •Everyeye.it 7.5/10 •Meristation 7.5/10 •Multiplayer.it 7.2/10 •Play.pr 7/10 •IGN US 7/10 •Eurogamer Italy 7/10 •Jeuxactu.com 7/10 •Games.Tiscali 7/10 •Bit-Tech 7/10 •PC Powerplay 7/10 •Original Gamer 6.5/10 •Actiontrip 6.1/10 •PS3bloggen.se 60/100 •Gamereactor 6/10 •TeamXbox.com 6/10 •Game Informer 5.75/10 (Don't take this one seriously) •Gamespot 5.5/10 •Gamecentral 5/10 •Gram.PL 4/6 •Polymania 3 /5 •Electricpig 3/5 •Burn360.net 3/5 •Gamespy 2.5/5 •FZ.SE 2/5 •1up 25/100

As you can see reviews for this game are totally mixed. Its not a game where everyone is calling it great, fun, and spectacular but its not one where everyone is calling it shit. I'd say that if you like FPS's, if you like stealth, and if you like horror, definately get it.

Badha1rday

Nature's best screw up.

132,255 XP

27th July 2005

0 Uploads

12,663 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

For me, I think the score you're giving this one is a bit jaded. If it was a review done by someone who wasn't already super psyched for the game, which you were from the start, then I'd probably be seeing a lower score instead of an 8.4.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 8 years ago
BadHairDẵy;5246918For me, I think the score you're giving this one is a bit jaded. If it was a review done by someone who wasn't already super psyched for the game, which you were from the start, then I'd probably be seeing a lower score instead of an 8.4.

Jaded? How so? This is rather low compared to what some other reviewers gave it, and after playing and gaining ranks and new skins in MP i'd actually go as far as to say that MP is worth atleast an 8.5 now instead, as before when i did the review i had really only scratched the surface of multiplayer with predator hunt and team death match. Mixed Species Deathmatch is insanely fun, and seeing marines and aliens work together to form strategies against the opposing team is amazingly cohesive. Yes, i was "psyched for the game", but fans are usually more critical then people who aren't, so i think that in terms of gameplay and Multiplayer, the fact that it met and in some cases exceeded my expectations shows just how much this game has to offer. I'm having a wonderful time replaying the levels and trying out different strategies and finding all the collectibles. Then again, i'm just one opinion, just like all the other reviewers. Fans of the genre, this is a definite buy, anyone outside, try it out yourself by renting it and see if this your kinda game, i think it was definately worth my 50$, and with a download content function in the menu, i can't wait to see what Rebellion has in store for us.

BlitZ, The 57th

Fack, Fack you, Fack that

50 XP

20th April 2007

0 Uploads

3,236 Posts

0 Threads

#8 8 years ago

Strange, the retailers in my country hasn't recieved it yet. What was the date for the other country to get AvP3? I remembered europe was it? That got delayed in recieving it or something.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 8 years ago
BlitZ, The 57th;5247066Strange, the retailers in my country hasn't recieved it yet. What was the date for the other country to get AvP3? I remembered europe was it? That got delayed in recieving it or something.

The US got it on the 16th, the UK got it sometime like, the 19th i believe.

BlitZ, The 57th

Fack, Fack you, Fack that

50 XP

20th April 2007

0 Uploads

3,236 Posts

0 Threads

#10 8 years ago

Even more strange then... Stores around here haven't got it.