Bethesda reveals why Skyrim over Oblivion 13 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,304 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago
BethesdaBethesda PR vice president Pete Hines reveals that the amount of work needed for an Oblivion remaster would be ‘mountainous’ and would be better served towards a new game.

Yes, that is true.

And also probably true.

Essentially, it's a case of it was quick and easy to do;

As for why Skyrim was chosen for the remaster treatment, Hines stated that the development team had already ported Skyrim to the Xbox One as a technical exercise during the research phase of Fallout 4, and some of the work had already been completed. Combined with the still-massive fanbase of Skyrim, it just made logical sense for the team to remaster the game.

So there's an obvious answer to an obvious question, I guess.

Cue rumours of development of a brand new Elder Scrolls game!

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,129 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

A new Elder Scrolls game might be fun. I just hope they fix the horse mechanics. That is probably the only thing that really annoys me about Skyrim.

* You can only attack from the right side, so you need to keep turning the horse around to attack. Which means the horse will die before you can kill anything. * You barely hit a rock, and your horse goes flying, and dies when it hits the ground. * You try to run up a hill, and your horse gets embedded in the hill. * Your horse runs for 10 metres, and needs to rest. You can run farther than your horse can, which means you can get anywhere on foot faster than you can by riding a horse.

Bethesda, please fix this. I should not need to use console commands to make horses a viable means of transportation.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Never got their horse handling mechanics. Always appeared too dicey. They could've just taken a cue from the M&B series and it would be all good but nooo.

Anyways...GTA the medieval fantasy coming soon I suppose.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Well, their reasoning makes sense. If it wasn't going to be a full remake of a game, I guess it had to be Skyrim. Not sure how hard adapting Skyrim's engine to be 64-bit would have been, but since they did it with success in Fallout 4, the groundwork was already laid. Some working backwards likely had to be done, but not as much as if they'd have gone all the way back to Oblivion or Morrowind.

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

It's not much as the engine as I suspect it's the system adaptation that's the culprit. As far as the meat in any RPG mechanics goes, Oblivion has it in spades over Skyrim, Same deal with Morrowind lording it over Oblivion.

So they just took the easier and cost effective route.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,910 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,880 Posts

218 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Basically, "We'd already done it, so why not make money off it".

I'm boarding the Bethesda Hate Train, apparently.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 2 years ago

So, the research phase at Bethesda involves porting old games to see if the engine works?

... Not filled with confidence here, guys.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,129 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Not just old games. Bethesda is known for porting games from console to PC, and even leaving in the controller-driven menu UI system. We need to use mods just to give it a menu UI system specifically made for keyboard and mouse. For example, Skyrim. That actually is the Playstation 3 version ported over to PC, which is why it crashes so much. And in the case of Fallout 4, that is actually the Playstation 4 version ported to PC, which is why it crashes so much.

To make matters worse for PC gamers, the Playstation version was not made for modding. So when you mod the PC port, you are actually modding a game that was never designed for modding, which leads to even more crashes.

The dumbest thing of all is how Rocksteady Studios only had a team of 12 to port the Playstation version to PC, which is why it looked horrid, and lacked some features.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but please make a PC-specific version. Seriously.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

They already made one it's called Morrowind. :p

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,910 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,880 Posts

218 Threads

#10 2 years ago

So they make things for consoles first?

Seems a bit backwards...

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer