Bioshock Remastered 3 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So, I played Bioshock Remastered for a good chunk of last night, and I have to say, for a free PC upgrade, I am impressed.

Firstly the graphics, while subtly improved, are a lot nicer, not so much in the overall visual style but you can tell that models are much higher detail, lighting is overall much nicer, they got rid of the water reflection effects I liked on the steps of the lighthouse, but overall, it looks so much nicer. Plus there are a lot of starfish on the windows now for some reason, I never noticed them before.

But the bit that I really found nice was the additional content: a museum of scrapped models and concept art that I really enjoyed, directors commentary, something I enjoyed in the Valve games, and a new portal-esque game mode which is similar to the one found in Bioshock Infinite, which has no story elements but pits you up against various challenges.

So yeah, for a free update, very nice IMHO.

I haven't got to Bioshock 2 remastered yet, but I am hoping that they have fixed the texture loading issues, and fixed the vending machines, in that game.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I'm very much enjoying it, too. I did run into the odd glitch with the red box; BoZzUvB.jpg

But I think this is actually a bug that hearkens all the way back to the original release. It's something to do with the way the game handles reflections in that particular location. Scared the crap out of me, since I thought my GPU was suffering.

But yeah, the game feels a lot more "modern" without being a total overhaul. They've improved some of the textures, but nothing that looks out of place. They're subtle changes that just help make the game feel better. And as you mentioned, some of the reflections are gone, but the overall lighting is improved. There aren't any spots that are excruciatingly dark, but the overall atmosphere of Rapture is preserved.

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,107 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Got both for free myself.  I have yet to play them, but I've heard mixed reviews.

I personally loved the original Bioshock, so I'll probably load it up at some point.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"Nittany Tiger"Got both for free myself.  I have yet to play them, but I've heard mixed reviews.

I personally loved the original Bioshock, so I'll probably load it up at some point.

See, I don't understand the negativity people have had. A lot of people have had crashes -- and I know FileTrekker himself had one -- but I haven't yet run into any issues aside from aforementioned red box. In fact, I feel like the game runs better than the originals(based on memory, at least).