The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Spoiler: It's a fucking lot.

Before moving on to the numbers themselves, let's just get down who CD Projekt are. They're not the people that developed The WItcher. They're the people that own the people that developed the Witcher. I do believe there's some overlap between RED and CDP, but for the sake of this article, we're dealing with the big entity.

Anywho, CD Projekt hasn't published anything in 2016 so far, and they've still managed to generate revenues reaching €15 million from their RED studio, and €4.5 million from their GOG platform. Once all expenses and what not are paid, the profit came out to €7.3 million. For some reason, despite the impressive profits, their stock still fell by 0.16%.

Source: http://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD-Projekt-przebil-oczekiwania-analitykow-3527538.html

EDIT: It's meant to be in Euros, but for some reason the forum hates displaying that. So just pretend.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I love CD project red.

They should pick up Interplays old motto of By Gamers for Gamers.

Can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,717 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I've only played The Witcher 2 and about half of The Witcher 1 (still working through it). They're a good role model for game developers.

Compared to EA, they made almost no money. And this is ok, because a good game developer will be concerned with bringing in enough money to continue existing while still making improvements to the games they develop, and not much more.

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,093 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Make good games that people love and don't treat the gamers as walking wallets, and you make a good profit.

This is what I like to see in the industry.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

not sure about 2 and especially 3, but the witcher 1? fighting was a joke. loading times were a joke as well (heavily modified aurora engine gets the blame, but still). even performance at some points was a joke.

it was a very good game overall. just not great enough (nothing comes close to mass effect trilogy in my book though).

as for money, they've spent shitloads of cash on the witcher, especially on the witcher 3. it's only fair that they've earned something in return. i'm far from idolizing them though, i've read some opinions about them by the devs that've been working there and it's not a paradise. that seems true for most, if not all, companies of that caliber, unfortunately.

and comparing them with EA isn't exactly fair. i'm not sure how gog compares to origin when it comes to the size, but EA has tons of intellectual property, while cd projekt has... the witcher and cyberpunk 2077, which hasn't been released yet - and certainly burns through cash at a steady pace while in development, and that will only increase when the marketing department kicks in.

lets hope EA is as willing to invest their earnings into mass effect andromeda.

AOE2 Addict

11,717 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#6 2 years ago

unic0rn not sure about 2 and especially 3, but the witcher 1? fighting was a joke. loading times were a joke as well (heavily modified aurora engine gets the blame, but still). even performance at some points was a joke.

it was a very good game overall. just not great enough (nothing comes close to mass effect trilogy in my book though).

as for money, they've spent shitloads of cash on the witcher, especially on the witcher 3. it's only fair that they've earned something in return. i'm far from idolizing them though, i've read some opinions about them by the devs that've been working there and it's not a paradise. that seems true for most, if not all, companies of that caliber, unfortunately.

and comparing them with EA isn't exactly fair. i'm not sure how gog compares to origin when it comes to the size, but EA has tons of intellectual property, while cd projekt has... the witcher and cyberpunk 2077, which hasn't been released yet - and certainly burns through cash at a steady pace while in development, and that will only increase when the marketing department kicks in.

lets hope EA is as willing to invest their earnings into mass effect andromeda.

The Witcher series so far has had a pretty good story. The Witcher 1 was lacking in a lot of areas other than the story and that's why I've had a hard time pushing through it. Yes, it was an unfair comparison, but it sort of shows how big the giant has become. The Witcher 3 was a highly successful game and GOG is a decently large reseller. EA better invest in Andromeda. If they don't I think we as a site need to boycott EA for the rest of time under penalty of permaban.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

boycott?

if they'll fuck up andromeda, i'll burn them to the ground.

AOE2 Addict

11,717 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#8 2 years ago

unic0rn boycott?

if they'll fuck up andromeda, i'll burn them to the ground.

Their shareholders will burn them to the ground if they stop making money, so we don't have to worry about that part.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I couldn't get into The Witcher 2 at all. From what I played it certainly had a great story, decent voice actors, and interesting characters, but the combat just didn't do it for me and I couldn't force myself through it. I recently tried to get into it again, after finishing The Witcher 3, but that was a mistake as it's not aged well at all - graphically or otherwise.

The Witcher 3? Fucking amazing game. I've just gone back to it to play through the first bit of premium DLC after having played Fallout 4, and to be honest, TW3 has ruined nearly all other RPGs. It's the new bar by which all must be judged. I love the tough, Arkhamesque combat, the characters and story set a new bar for games, I love the ambiguous moral choices, and the fact that even seemingly small decisions can come back to bite you in the arse later on after you've almost forgotten you made them. And hunting monsters, with all the tracking and prep work that goes into it, is just great. TW3 is a lesson in how to make sequels - rectify all of your previous mistakes and do everything better.

I've nothing but love for CDP and CDPR. Between their original content and their support for old games via GOG, not to mention their generosity (Free DLC? The soundtrack in the regular edition? Yes please!) I think they're great for the games industry and I'm glad that they're being rewarded accordingly. I'll happily hand over my money to them. Let's just hope they don't end up turning into EA or Activision, who I also used to be fond of back in the early days.

AOE2 Addict

11,717 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#10 2 years ago
Mr. Matt I couldn't get into The Witcher 2 at all. From what I played it certainly had a great story, decent voice actors, and interesting characters, but the combat just didn't do it for me and I couldn't force myself through it.

The combat was rough and I could never quite figure it out. I finally gave up, put it on easy, and button-mashed my way through it. Even still I died a lot and had to use some strategy - like rolling or casting the flame spell just as an enemy just begins to strike at you - but it's certainly not the best combat system ever developed.

I haven't purchased TW3 yet because it hasn't come on sale for cheap enough. That moment you realize 75% of your scholarships are expiring is the moment you become a penny pincher again.