The Joelteon7

The cake is a lie.There is no cake.

50 XP

13th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,926 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

I was thinking of getting this game, considering I like the Battlefield series, but the system requirements ask for a 9700 radeon card. Granted, I knew when I bought my 9600 Pro a year and a half ago, it wouldn't be ideal (I play games for gameplay, not graphics) but what's the difference between the 9600 and 9700 that means the 9600 isn't a supported chipset in the game? To be honest, if I can't get the game without an upgrade, I won't, but I'd like to know why, so if there are any future games I want that have this problem, I'll know what to upgrade to. (Failing that, just get a 9800 and have done for a bit :p)

SciComHam

Now with more red

50 XP

28th November 2004

0 Uploads

935 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

From the modern point of view, they're both ancient and dustily underpowered. Buy a modern graphics card and enjoy modern games at decent graphics and good framerates (while graphics don't influence gameplay much, framerates definitely do).

Then again, if you're using such an old graphics card then your motherboard probably doesn't support PCI-E which is needed for new cards. You'd need a new mobo and consequently new RAM and a new processor.

So, I recommend buying an entirely new PC. What's your budget?

SteVen

"World's Best Boss"

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

3,254 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I thought Radeon 9700 models were only for laptops......Have you tried the demo out yet to see if your 9600 works?

Vangaurdius

I may be bad, but I feel good.

50 XP

28th May 2007

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

The 9600 will work with the game just fine. I would also like to point out that for most of us spending $5000 on a new computer is to much money. (I'm talking Canadian, $100 Canadian is equal to $75 US, then you have to add on %15 of that cost to cover taxes, then you have to add in shipping and handling) Don't mention new egg because they only ship within the US.

The Joelteon7

The cake is a lie.There is no cake.

50 XP

13th November 2004

0 Uploads

3,926 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

SciComHam;3927143From the modern point of view, they're both ancient and dustily underpowered. Buy a modern graphics card and enjoy modern games at decent graphics and good framerates (while graphics don't influence gameplay much, framerates definitely do).

Then again, if you're using such an old graphics card then your motherboard probably doesn't support PCI-E which is needed for new cards. You'd need a new mobo and consequently new RAM and a new processor.

So, I recommend buying an entirely new PC. What's your budget?[/quote]

Nil, at the mo. I might spend £35 later this year on getting another 512mb ram to go up to 1gb. I've got by with the card on low settings for most games fine for the mo...no intention of any serious upgrade.

SteVen;3928465I thought Radeon 9700 models were only for laptops......Have you tried the demo out yet to see if your 9600 works?

You see...I thought the 9700 was only for Laptops too.

[quote=Vangaurdius;3936684]The 9600 will work with the game just fine. I would also like to point out that for most of us spending $5000 on a new computer is to much money. (I'm talking Canadian, $100 Canadian is equal to $75 US, then you have to add on %15 of that cost to cover taxes, then you have to add in shipping and handling) Don't mention new egg because they only ship within the US.

It does work? Awesome, ta for telling me. Thank you :)

Also, agreed on your second point.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 10 years ago

No the Radeon 9700 is a desktop video card it came out 5 years ago and was like the 8800's are now back then.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 10 years ago

I am running this game on an ATI 9600 256Mb Atlantis Pro, overclocked using RadLinker. I had to put a 50mm fan just under the card to cool (since it only uses heatsink) to overclock to get 438Mhz core and 232Mhz memory without freezing. It might go a bit higher. I put game settings all on low except weather/debris and terrain on normal. It runs between 20-30 fps and can play just fine. However enter servers with about max 7 players per side since with more when it gets frenetic you will lag and die too easy. Hope that helps. I also have nearly 2Gigs memory and is old homebuilt amd 2800 overclocked to 2.167 GHz system. I am thinking that I may even get Crysis to run on this old baby on low settings, I am slow to build my core2duo since it keeps running everything I throw at it!