Do you buy from Steam, or CD Key retailers? 9 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Not going to drop names or URL's, but out of curiosity, do you buy directly from Steam or do you hunt for bargains on CD key retailers?

I find it a lot cheaper but I have had a few bad experiences, overall though I have still saved money.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,402 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Depends on the game and the price.

Most games I get directly from the source, STEAM, Origin, GOG, etc...

If the deal is good I some times go to trusted places like Green Man Gaming and if it's a killer deal there is one place I've used that I won't name that I've heard good things about and have never had issues with.

I prefer to support the devs any time though.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I buy from steam and GOG. I don't buy enough games for the payoff to be worth it in hunting out alternate sources. If something's too dear I just don't buy it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

It depends. I buy from authorised retailers, but not from the more shady ones. If there's no clear idea of where they get their keys from, I don't buy from 'em. I don't want to risk throwing money at something without getting anything back.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Whichever's cheaper, as I am a disloyal cur (I don't even consider the ones I've heard are shady or unauthorized, though; even a cur must know his limits). GreenManGaming has been very good to me.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

JUMBO PALACE

50 XP

7th June 2016

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I'm a big hypocrite honestly. If a developer I like puts out a game I know I want to play, and I like what they've done in the past, I tend to just pony up the cash through Steam/whatever distribution service I'm forced to use to support them. A recent example would be Dark Souls 3. Been a fan of the franchise since DS1 on my 360 so I wanted to give FROM their due. If I'm bargain hunting or not 100% sure I want to spend full retail I'll use a key site. I use one in particular that I've never had an issue with. I recently bought DOOM from a key site and in retrospect that's a game I would have gladly paid $60 for. 

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,910 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,880 Posts

218 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I try to get keys from key sites as often as possible

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Usually Steam, GOG, Amazon, etc. - the better known retailers. But with the general rule that the game must be significantly less - 50% or cheaper - than the original release price.

Ryojin

lolwut?

536,504 XP

8th November 2005

5 Uploads

52,632 Posts

406 Threads

#9 2 years ago

These days I get all my games from XBox Gold bonuses and Humble Bundle Monthly. (Great deal for me, as I'm not paying for either of them. :D) When I do get games from other sources, it is usually through Steam if it is a digital copy, and Amazon if it is a physical copy.

I don't do much hunting for the best price. The stuff I get is usually at least 50% off anyway, so if there is a cheaper price, it is usually hardly any better.

Disclaimer: Personal opinions still not endorsed by Ryojin.

Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I like to buy from Steam, I don't why but it is always my go to.

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords