Favourite Console of the 1990's? 10 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

A bit of a nostalgia thread, because, I'm good of those?

List your favourite consoles of the 1990's generation:

For me I loved the Sega Mega Drive, the PS1, and the Dreamcast, but the N64 and PS2 are a very close second.

We had a lot of good choices for consoles back then.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lysdestic VIP Member

Dr. Professor Logic, PhD.

45,021 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,262 Posts

93 Threads

#2 2 years ago

For me it's always gonna be the NES. My parents had one, and that was my first exposure to games. We were poor in a poor town, so I never played much more than Mario and Duck Hunt growing up, but it's how it all started.

Honorable mention for those few times I'd get to play Sonic on a friends Sega. :D

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Hard choice to make. I grew up on a Mega Drive and a PS1; I'll always have a soft spot for them both. In retrospect, it's hard to deny the SNES' superiority over its SEGA competitor (though primarily because of its library) and the PS1, though revolutionary in more ways than one at the time, isn't a system I often go back to nowadays except for a handful of titles.

I never had the pleasure of laying my hands on a Saturn or a Dreamcast and all my N64 gaming has been on emulators; I admit, I'm not a fan of those games.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,889 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,878 Posts

218 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Sega Mega Drive.. yeah. 

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#5 2 years ago

The Mega Drive is the undisputed greatest console of the 1990s (despite releasing in the 1980s), and anybody who says anything to the contrary will be ritually sacrificed to the Unholy Sky Wizard.

The Dreamcast follows in close second, however. That was a machine the likes of which we had never seen before, and shall never see again. Gaming distilled to its most raw form.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,650 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,732 Posts

2 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I'm going to have to say Game Boy because Paperboy was the first outlet I ever had for my latent destructive tendencies. :lookaround:

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

N64. Why? Only one I had. My Japanesecopy of Super Mario 64 made me cry after I finished it. It also had Donkey Kong 64, Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil and Wave Race in its favour.

Only one I had; only one I needed. :) 

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Probably my modded PS1. Back in the day playstations came with hardware copyright protection that limited you to legally purcahsed games. But there was a chip that enabled the use of copied games. It also messed up the thermal management, so if you played too much the casing would melt a little. Fun times.

MoreGun89

54 XP

27th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Oooh tough!  Toss up between N64 and PS2!  I think I have to go with N64 though based on that getting the most use.  Such a great system!  I even have adaptoids for the original controllers on ROMs (since I may have used the actual system to death).

Mother Banhammer

Aeia

Live with honor, die for justice!

90 XP

3rd May 2016

0 Uploads

181 Posts

1 Threads

#10 2 years ago

PC it was and PC it is :cool: :o

And PC it probably would be!

I know it isn't a console ... but ... PC man! PC!!

Basically it's the ease of operating your character through the very large and very customizable controller (aka the keyboard) which you don't get with anything else. In my teens I got to play with a NES (cheapo, yeah :p) and I HATED how my character died over and over again in Super Contra, Mario, Bomberman and several other games simply because the controllers were shyte. (Oh, the anguish!)

I did dream of getting a PS1 then, but ever since I got a computer and experienced the satisfaction of computer gaming, I have lost all interest in consoles.