Favourite games fron the 1990s? 4 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,264 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#1 3 months ago

I've got my 486 PC emulator nice and set up well now, with proper graphics and sound and everything else, using PCem, so, I need some games!

I've gone through my nostalgia titles (other than obvious ones like Doom etc.) of games like Monster Truck Madness, Oregon Trail, POD, and Fury 3, Age of Empires and of course Theme Hospital, so what other types of games from the era do you recommend?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,725 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#2 3 months ago

Fallout 1 & 2 were supposed to be amazing.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,264 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#3 3 months ago

I tried to play Fallout 1 and just couldn't really get into it, I guess I am just spoiled by that franchise starting at Fallout 3.

I may retry it though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#4 3 months ago

I think Fallout 2 is a bit easier to get into as it doesn't have this annoying countdown preventing you from playing at your own pace (although that probably wasn't such a big issue in Fallout 1).The first chapter in Fallout 2 is a little weird and annoying, but it gets better after that. Still my favorite part of the series.

For 90s RPGs the best one is Planescape Torment. Baldur's Gate 2 beats it in scope, but Torment had the better story and characters. Also takes a little while to get into due to unusual setting, but well worth the investment.

Another favorite from that era is Sid Meier's Colonization. I probably played through that game more often than any other game. There is an updated version with nicer graphics and also a pretty decent open-source version out there.

Master of Orion 2 was my favorite part of that series: easy to get into, difficult to master. Highly addictive.

The 90s saw several releases of the Panzer General series, which has taken many sleepness nights from me. Those could get pretty difficult though.

I also like the old X-Com games (1-3). I think the third part is underrated, it had some pretty nice concepts for its time.

Silent Service II was the first PC game I played, so I may be a bit biased in favor of it. I replayed it a few times many years later though and still like it. Back then when you bought a sim you didn't just get the game, you also got a really well-researched book that didn't just explain the game but also provided a lot of interesting background info.

Last edited by MrFancypants 3 months ago

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,790 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#5 3 months ago

Goldeneye: 007

I knew all the map exploits, so I would always be first to reach the Golden Gun. Then, I could completely shut down entire sections of the map.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png