Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Star Trek has put out some stinkers in its time, particularly when it comes to video games.

But there have also been some zingers, and that's what we're talking about here! 

Personally, I spent a lot of time rebalancing Star Trek: Armada 2, to the point that somehow my mod ended up on the FilesNetwork site (mostly because I chatted to FT a lot, who happened to administrate that site for a while).

But if I'm honest, my favourite ST game of all time was Star Trek: Generations. It was the first game I ever played that allowed you to properly 'exist' in the Star Trek universe. I was a kid when it came out, but jeeze, it was the Star Trek version of Doom.

It even had fairly decent space battles for when it came out - like Bridge Commander, you could adjust power to different systems such, and then finish off the opponext with a barrage of 10 torpedoes. And then once you'd beaten them, you could beam down to the planet they were protecting, and find out why they were protecting it, and it became Doom again!

Anyway, my question is, obviously, what your favourite Star Trek game was, and why.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,275 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Hands down my favourite game has to be Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

Arguably it hasn't aged well, but a great game in a solid engine, which had a relatively mundane story but with good characters and voice acting, especially for the time.

combine it with the extras like Virtual Voyager and it was arguably better than most episodes of the actual show.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Forgot the title but but it was basically Bridge commander with a switch to the Klingon side.

And there's the first person shooter game based of the unreal engine where you play as part of an away team and had ai teammates (If I recall correctly seven of nine was one of your teammates on that.)

Sorry if I appear to be a bit sketchy here but you Trekkies have to admit; Of the more that a decade long of ST games, the shitty ones just outnumber the good to decent ones.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#4 1 year ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"Forgot the title but but it was basically Bridge commander with a switch to the Klingon side.

And there's the first person shooter game based of the unreal engine where you play as part of an away team and had ai teammates (If I recall correctly seven of nine was one of your teammates on that.)

Sorry if I appear to be a bit sketchy here but you Trekkies have to admit; Of the more that a decade long of ST games, the shitty ones just outnumber the good to decent ones.

Klingon Academy! Loved that one. Blowing up the Enterprise just felt therapeutic somehow.

And no, you're right. The vast majority of them were shit.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 1 year ago

... Are there even any recent Star Trek games that aren't Star Trek Online?

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,275 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"Serio"... Are there even any recent Star Trek games that aren't Star Trek Online?

There was one based on the new movies, a third person shooter action type effort, but it wasn't that great.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Oh. Oh Jesus. I remember that one. I liked the concept of it, but its execution was sloppier than Roggvir's.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,325 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,144 Posts

5 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Blimey, that's an easy one.

Starfleet Command, the first one. :)

Closely followed by Bridge Commander - which I suppose I might have preferred if it had come first in my chain of experience.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Used to have a copy of Starfleet Command until the disc cracked ;_;

Luckily I backed up the main files on a portable hard drive before that happened so I found a way to make it work.  I think my favorite type of Star Trek game would essentially be one with the RPG element of Skyrim, the character element of Mass Effect, and the ship combat and strategy of Starfleet Command.

But yeah, so far Starfleet Command is thus far my favorite.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#10 1 year ago

I love all the Star Trek games that got cancelled!

....because those ones were never in any position to disappoint us.

#TheProblemWithLicensedGames

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.