>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#1 7 years ago

Last month EA and developer Starbreeze officially announced their upcoming multi platform remake of Syndicate for early 2012. Rumors place the launch date in late February.

The actor voicing the first character shown that tells you to retrieve a chip sounds familiar to me. After pondering it a bit I thought it might be Desmond Harrington, whom plays detective Quinn on the TV show Dexter.

The game has similarities to Deus Ex: HR, but looks like the graphics and gameplay could be even better. Syndicate Media

Fyurii

NEKRON!!!!!!!

50 XP

4th August 2006

0 Uploads

3,477 Posts

0 Threads

#2 7 years ago

Honestly.... I'm disappointed.

First, X-Com becoming a Squad FPS, now Syndicate has become an FPS that will immediately be compared to Deus EX: Human Revolution. Fallout3 & New Vegas weren't such a big problem for me, though it would be refreshing if the next Fallout game wasn't First person perspective.

If they're going to remake/reboot a game, why not try and innovate on the game's format without turning it into an FPS???? The answer is simple. FPS "kiddies" that play on consoles. I'm sorry if anyone finds that offensive, but that's what this reeks of.

Am I the only one getting sick of so many FPS games being made by the "big" studios/publishers?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#3 7 years ago

Well you're the only one having responded so far, so I'll try to keep this civil.

First off, Syndicate 2012 differs from the original in far more than a mere view perspective change. The original was more of an RTS type shooter where you commanded a squad from an above fixed camera angle.

Second, the first shooter game on PC WAS an FPS called Wolfenstein 3D, and it predates the original Syndicate.

Third, I find it odd you label the FPS genre in general as being for console "kiddies", because FPS are known for the need for precise aim, quick reflexes, and the need to be aware of your surroundings, since you have far less peripheral view.

Third person perspective games are more a product of consoles than PC. Again, the first FPS was made FOR PC, not console.

Now whether you meant you want it to be kept RTS type view and gameplay is not clear, because you didn't even mention that in your tirade against FPS fans. If you did, let's examine that. RTS shooters aren't very common anymore, and the only reason they made them that way in the first place was back when games like Syndicate 1993 were made, they had limited technology and used simple fixed camera angles with restricted battle areas.

Anyways, my point is, you not only made some rather inaccurate and misplaced complaints and insults, your reasons for not liking FPS weren't clarified at all. Usually when such complaints are all rant with no given reason, it means the person complaining lacks the reflexes and precision to play most FPS games well. If anything that would fall into the category of console players, so why you label FPS fans as being console players, esp with an insulting tone, is rather absurd and childish.

For anyone that doesn't know, this is what the original looked like:

syndicatescreenshot.jpg

Fyurii

NEKRON!!!!!!!

50 XP

4th August 2006

0 Uploads

3,477 Posts

0 Threads

#4 7 years ago

>Omen<;5576596Well you're the only one having responded so far, so I'll try to keep this civil.

First off, Syndicate 2012 differs from the original in far more than a mere view perspective change. The original was more of an RTS type shooter where you commanded a squad from an above fixed camera angle.

Lovely assumption that I've never played Syndicate, American Revolution, or the sequel Syndicate Wars where the only real draw backs in my opinion, was the universal ammunition pool for all weapons, and a couple less cyborg modifications for your agents.

Second, the first shooter game on PC WAS an FPS called Wolfenstein 3D, and it predates the original Syndicate.

Whilst an earlier one to use first person perspective was Ultima Underworld. See, I know my gaming history too!

Third, I find it odd you label the FPS genre in general as being for console "kiddies", because FPS are known for the need for precise aim, quick reflexes, and the need to be aware of your surroundings, since you have far less peripheral view.

You completely misread what I wrote. I never said that FPS games were for console "kiddies". I said that the noticeable increase in the amount of them from big studios/publishers, including reboots/remakes of games being changed to FPS, was because of the console "kiddies". Very big difference.

Third person perspective games are more a product of consoles than PC. Again, the first FPS was made FOR PC, not console.

Omen, you're not a Stephen Fry on QI, but for your information the earliest recorded fps type game was from 1974, pre-dating Wolfenstein by almost 20 years.

Now whether you meant you want it to be kept RTS type view and gameplay is not clear, because you didn't even mention that in your tirade against FPS fans.

Gee, I'd have thought it would abundantly clear that I would have preferred they use an isometric view, along with controlling up to four agents, loaded with miniguns, gauss guns and persuadatrons.

If you did, let's examine that. RTS shooters aren't very common anymore, and the only reason they made them that way in the first place was back when games like Syndicate 1993 were made, they had limited technology and used simple fixed camera angles with restricted battle areas.

Ever played Elite? You'd be amazed at what can really be done in regards to technological limitations.

Anyways, my point is, you not only made some rather inaccurate and misplaced complaints and insults, your reasons for not liking FPS weren't clarified at all.

Show me, word for word, where I even once said or insinuated that I dislike FPS games. While doing so, please realise that I've been gaming since Wolfenstein3D came out, and have all the Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Unreal games, along with well over three hundred different games of practically every genre.

Usually when such complaints are all rant with no given reason, it means the person complaining lacks the reflexes and precision to play most FPS games well. If anything that would fall into the category of console players, so why you label FPS fans as being console players, esp with an insulting tone, is rather absurd and childish.

And usually when someone decides to attack someone else on a forum in as round-a-bout and veiled a manner as possible, it's because they didn't properly read what was written, and had a terribly knee-jerk reaction and blew the other persons words out of context. Just like what you've done, by trying to make it seem that I wrote things I blatantly didn't.

:EDIT: If I didn't like FPS games, why would I have posted in threads concerning them, talking about what I liked and dislike about those games? That includes a fair few threads that you yourself posted in as well.

&gt;Omen&lt;

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#5 7 years ago
Fyurii;5577195Lovely assumption that I've never played Syndicate, American Revolution, or the sequel Syndicate Wars where the only real draw backs in my opinion, was the universal ammunition pool for all weapons, and a couple less cyborg modifications for your agents.

Funny you claim I'M assuming, when nowhere did I imply by saying this that you'd not played the original. I was merely pointing out there were far more differences than you talked about. You came off as sounding fixated over mere camera perspectives and nothing more. Why do you thin I captioned the photo saying "For anyone that doesn't know...", vs speaking directly to you? I assumed you HAD played it, it's obvious. So maybe you should think about how you structure rants vs assuming yourself.

Whilst an earlier one to use first person perspective was Ultima Underworld. See, I know my gaming history too!

Apparently you don't know, because that game is a first person role playing game, not an FPS. I was also referring to the first FPS on PC, not first FPS period.

You completely misread what I wrote. I never said that FPS games were for console "kiddies". I said that the noticeable increase in the amount of them from big studios/publishers, including reboots/remakes of games being changed to FPS, was because of the console "kiddies". Very big difference.

Actually you heavily implied FPS are for kiddies, and didn't clarify otherwise. I find it odd someone that now claims to enjoy FPS games would even USE the phrase "FPS kiddies". I guess you can count yourself as one of those you stereotype as a childish console brat then, see how that works?

Omen, you're not a Stephen Fry on QI, but for your information the earliest recorded fps type game was from 1974, pre-dating Wolfenstein by almost 20 years.

Odd you should claim I don't read what YOU say when clearly you missed that I said first FPS on PC, not first FPS period. All that Maze War and Spasim stuff was made on systems like Sega and Nintendo, or did you forget about the "console kiddies" you were earlier maligning?

Gee, I'd have thought it would abundantly clear that I would have preferred they use an isometric view, along with controlling up to four agents, loaded with miniguns, gauss guns and persuadatrons.

Again, you only talked about it being bad in terms of the perspective, even labeling those playing FPS games as "console kiddies".

Ever played Elite? You'd be amazed at what can really be done in regards to technological limitations.

Actually I'm amazed at how you somehow think using an entirely different genre of game applies to the tech used in FPS games back then. Elite is a SPACE trading/combat SIM, not an FPS. Then again your analogies, excuses and denial seems a bit spaced out.

Show me, word for word, where I even once said or insinuated that I dislike FPS games. While doing so, please realise that I've been gaming since Wolfenstein3D came out, and have all the Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Unreal games, along with well over three hundred different games of practically every genre.

I've already shown you, and anyone that read your first post can clearly see it. You waxed on saying you'd prefer this game to be FPS, even calling those that play them console kiddies. You must be in serious denial to say that doesn't sound insulting toward FPS games and those whom play them.

And usually when someone decides to attack someone else on a forum in as round-a-bout and veiled a manner as possible, it's because they didn't properly read what was written, and had a terribly knee-jerk reaction and blew the other persons words out of context. Just like what you've done, by trying to make it seem that I wrote things I blatantly didn't.

I just pointed out above that it was YOU twisting words and insulting, it's clear really. Again with the denial, but passing the buck to place blame on me that should be yours to bear is the real childish part.

:EDIT: If I didn't like FPS games, why would I have posted in threads concerning them, talking about what I liked and dislike about those games? That includes a fair few threads that you yourself posted in as well.

Get a clue, do you think I spend every living moment keeping track of what everyone says on public forums just to somehow ascertain whether nonsense posts like the first one you made here might require quite a bit of reading between the lines after you made it sound like a rant against FPS players? Some of us take things for face value concerning remarks made here, so if you don't want to get your panties in a bunch over responses to such comments, maybe you should think first before you run your yap in such ridiculous ways.