Can anyone recommend a good PC game for me? I played D2 and World of Warcraft to death. Same with Sims and I didn't like Hellgate London. I'm an insomniac so I'm quite bored until about 5 or 6 AM haha. I prefer multiplayer games, but pretty much any thing that is popularly good will do.
It depends what genre of game you like. Assuming you like first person shooters, I'm going to say that you can't go past Bioshock, CoD4 (never played it, heard it rocks though) and FarCry, though those are all off the top of my head.
I follow teh Moo!
23rd February 2007
Don't know what genre you're into but if you like mmorpg's you might wanna try RF Online or Rohan Online.
17th June 2002
z3n;4437131It depends what genre of game you like. Assuming you like first person shooters, I'm going to say that you can't go past Bioshock, CoD4 (never played it, heard it rocks though) and FarCry, though those are all off the top of my head.
And if you've never played the Half-Life franchise, then shame on you! Buy it, immediately.
Also, you could try Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic if you're into RPGs; though they're single player they're fudging awesome.
I'm way cooler than n0e (who isn't though?)
27th May 2004
- Call of Duty Series (Original, United Offensive, 2 and 4)
- Far Cry
- Crysis (Bit overrated but still good fun)
- Half-Life Series, absolute must-haves.
- Counter-Strike Source
- Team Fortress 2 (Probably the best multiplayer ever)
- Hey, why not just by the Orange Box?
- Hitman: Blood Money
- SWAT 4 + Expansion. great tactical fun.
Real time and Turn-based Strategy
- Company of Heroes + COH: Opposing Fronts
- Dawn of War [Winter Assault] [Soulstorm]
- Medieval 2: Total War + Kingdoms expansion
- Rome: Total War is okish, I like the latest one though.
- Command and Conquer Generals + Zero Hour expansion (It makes it so much more awesome)
- Cilvization IV + [Beyond the Sword] and [Warlords] just one more click before you go to sleep..
- Another one I almost forgot.. Sins of a Solar Empire. Brilliant space combat. Hooray for 4X games!
- Morrowind + Expansions. Brilliant sandbox fun to be had here, a little old, but there is an awesome amount of mods that increase playability.
- Mass Effect. As Mr Matt suggested, this is awesome. I recently bought it and absolutely love it.
- Another Mr Matt suggestion, Knights of the Old Republic. Pick it up, great fun. Cheap too.
- The Witcher. The combat is different, but the RPG elements are great, loved the story and I saw it through to the end.
- The Fallout Series! They're pretty cheap and being promoted a lot lately due to the release of #3 just around the corner.
MMOs You've played World of Warcraft to death.. maybe it's time to play something a bit more interesting and... complex.
- Lord of the Rings Online. If you love the books or films, this follows it pretty well. Great graphics, housing, and interesting PvP. The Devs keep it in great check as well, with updates and content being added all the time. 2 new classes are on their way as well in the next one!
- Eve Online. This game is all about risk vs reward. It isn't for the faint hearted, and I'm deadly serious when I say that. If you aren't careful, you'll be destroyed beyond comprehension.
- Age of Conan. The latest addition to the MMO table. It has a new combat system that many find enjoyable and gorgeous graphics. However, it has now ranked up to near 2GB in patches and a majority of the end game and PvP content is still yet to be implemented.
Just to name a few.. =p
Trust me, I'm a Doctor
25th November 2003
If you like RTS games, the Command & Conquer series is a must, along with World In Conflict.
In addition to other FPS games mentioned, FEAR (and the expansions) is a good one to get.
Apollo75;4437219In addition to other FPS games mentioned, FEAR (and the expansions) is a good one to get.
:nodding: Indeed! Just two words - AI and atmosphere. Don`t miss it. If you like Star Wars, I recommend great squad based shooter called "Republic Commando". Good gameplay and amazing music.
29th January 2007
* Morrowind + Expansions. Brilliant sandbox fun to be had here, a little old, but there is an awesome amount of mods that increase playability. * Mass Effect. As Mr Matt suggested, this is awesome. I recently bought it and absolutely love it. * Another Mr Matt suggestion, Knights of the Old Republic. Pick it up, great fun. Cheap too. * The Witcher. The combat is different, but the RPG elements are great, loved the story and I saw it through to the end. * The Fallout Series! They're pretty cheap and being promoted a lot lately due to the release of #3 just around the corner.
I'd add to this with Nwn 1/2 Baldur's gate 1/2 Planescape Torment Lionhearth
11th November 2006
I don't know your specs, so i'll just make a list of the games i can recommend:
First Person Shooters S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl It's an RPG, but it's set in Ukraine and it's pretty darn fun. Could count as a Zombie Survival RPG with a few mods. Call Of Duty 4 Though it has it's fair share of hackers and cheaters online, but what game doesn't? Crysis I just had to put it in. It's fun!
Grand Strategy Games Europa Universalis III + In Nomine & Napoleon's Ambition Now THIS is my second-most played game. You basically chose a nation from the 14th to 19th Century and play it out on a world-map RISK style. There is a mod for In Nomine called "Whole World" that extends the timeline to 1917. Europa Universalis: Rome Takes the best from Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis, putting together a Roman Empire era game. Nothing much to say, and not as fun as EU III. Crusader Kings + Deus Vult The third of Paradox Interactive's series. Great fun, alittle old though.
Real Time Strategy Age of Empire's 1, 2, & 3 The series... Can't say much except it was one of the greatest RTS games in history. Command & Conquer: Saga Contains all the Command & Conquer games which should lend a nice 60 Hour gameplay. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2 Lord of The Rings RTS game. Includes a War of the Ring mode where you conquer the world.
RolePlaying Games The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion + Shivering Isles & Knights of the Nine I really don't need to describe it, do i? Fantastic gameplay, with hundreds upon hundreds of hours. Neverwinter Nights 2 This is more of a "Meh" as the first one was better. This one does lend quite a bit of gameplay though. Mass Effect BioWare RPG, need i say more?
MMO's Lord of the Rings Online The second best-looking MMORPG out there. EVE Online If you like stunning graphical effects and player driven galaxies, this is the game for you! Plus, in the subscribtion it includes that you get all the expansions for free download when they're released
Upcoming Games SPORE(US - September 7th, EU - September 5th) The first "Massive Single Player Online God Game". Basically, you play your creature from Cell Phase to Space Phase where you can conquer and destroy solar systems. WarHammer Online(Can't remember) Oh this is going to beat the crap out of World of Warcraft! ---
I'm never writing that again
Shizzle my nizzle
28th July 2004
[COLOR=Black]Company of Heroes[/COLOR] is brilliant. I used to really like RTSes, then went off them, then Company of Heroes got me back into them, such is its brilliance.
Any of the Total War games, especially Medieval 2 and Rome. Look out for Empire: Total War later this year as it looks amazing.
Half-Life 2 is gaming art and thus is a must-play for any GeForce or ATI owner. Seriously, you don't even have to enjoy shooters to love Half-Life 2, due to its stunning storyline and gameplay.
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are both ridiculously brilliant, even if you don't like Star Wars. Even my sister plays this, and she hates games. In fact, she plays it more than I do.
Mass Effect for similar reasons, and for the Citadel*.
Civilization IV is a turn-based masterpiece. You sound like you've got a lot of time on your hands, and 'Civ is perfect for that because individual games can last weeks. However, its game settings are flexible enough to last only a few hours if you wish too.
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is verging on the brink of real life in its high definition rendering glory. If you pack heat (graphics card wise) then this game looks... real. It's also totally non-linear so you can do whatever the hell you want in it when not on quests. It's like Grand Theft Auto with a better story, much better graphics and necromancers.
*Play it to find out what it is. It's stunning.