Has anyone tried VR, if so what are your thoughts? 11 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,378 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I might start saving up for one, but I'm sure there will be a new iteration before I can ever afford one. I have played around with Google Cardboard and Samsung Gear VR and I find those to be pretty interesting, so something like an Oculus or a Vive does interest me.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Unfortunately, no.  I really would love to though; it seems like a real trip, especially if it works with programs like Flight Simulator, or even Doom 3.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Dragonelf68

ಠ_ಠ

220,771 XP

24th September 2007

0 Uploads

19,359 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I bought the Oculus dev kit 2 back way back before there were any retail versions of anything. I love it. Even as a dev kit version, it's pretty goddamn amazing. 

kYuedqC.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"Unfortunately, no.  I really would love to though; it seems like a real trip, especially if it works with programs like Flight Simulator, or even Doom 3.

Yes, who hasn't always wanted to shit their pants whilst playing Amnesia? :p

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I have the Vive. I really enjoy it, and not in the ways I expected to like.

Originally when I got it thought I'd use with already released, AAA games and the like. But I've played the indie games designed for the Vive specifically way more than anything else.

The Vive is basically split into Room Scale use and then normal VR use. Room scale for those who don't know, gives you the ability to walk around in the real world and translate your hand movements into game movements.

Room Scale First off, the motion tracking using the two controllers is amazing. Simply amazing. It perfectly picks up your hand movements. Perfectly. This isn't the Wii style handheld motion control, this feels real. This really is the key to the rest of room scale. Once they had that down, everything just flows. Audioshield is basically Audio Surf but you hit the beats with your hands. Its an amazing yet basic intro to room scale and it has literally blown the minds of people I know who have played it. Budget Cuts feels like the game of the future. Sneaking around an office building using a teleport option to move around the building is amazing, simply amazing. You start doing things in it without thinking. I was crawling around on the floor at one point and I wanted stand up. I looked at a table next to me and leaned on it to stand up, except there was nothing there for me to lean on, it was all virtual, I was totally lost in the virtual world.

Normal VR use So far I've played 2 'normal' games using the Vive. Elite Dangerous and Project Cars. Both of these games I have peripherals that help complete the emersion into the game. I have a flight stick and throttle control for Elite Dangerous and a Thrustmaster T300 wheel and pedals for Project Cars. Project Cars feels amazing with it. I look to the apex as I approach it, I can look quickly left and right at my competitors and it feels so natural. Elite Dangerous also feels so natural. As I depart a space station, I look around to see where the exit point is while still turning the ship in that direction. I glance at the sun as fly by it when I enter a system. The big problem with both of these games is that text is usually too small. Smaller text means fewer pixals to display on and despite the impressive 1080x1200 per eye, its just not enough. Text looks blurry and at times you'll need to move your head closer to it to see exactly what it says. You can't tell that from any of the videos you see online, instead its something you can only see by trying it.

The screendoor effect is still present and the above problem with small text really highlights that issue but until they can make video cards a lot more beefy and make pixels per mm a lot cheaper, then I think we may be stuck with a bit of a screen door effect for a while. There is a work around for having the text so blurry (basically increasing the super sampling) but my 970 can't push it any higher without it affecting the FPS which has to held at an astonishingly high rate I'm afraid.

The cable at the back of the device is distracting at times but you can get used to it. With HTC already rumoured to be working on a cable-less version I can see this perhaps only being an early gen aspect.

NubSmoo

50 XP

3rd May 2016

1 Uploads

34 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Yes, I love it.. I mostly just played a few games like Time Machine VR (awesome game) But I done a lot of watching movies on oculus cinema, vinceo etc and love it its like going to movies in real life but saving so much money!! Also love how you can watch 3d movies. I've also tried out New Neon Retro Arcade (on steam) you basically can play arcade games n stuff as if you in a real 80s arcade, plus it has a snes with crt TV and gameboys lying around, pretty cool stuff

"Dragonelf68"I bought the Oculus dev kit 2 back way back before there were any retail versions of anything. I love it. Even as a dev kit version, it's pretty goddamn amazing. 

I have that too :]

Desktop Specs: CPU: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz, Motherboard: ASRock N68-VS3 FX, Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz, GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC (EVGA),Case: Raidmax ATX (B

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I have the GearVR that I use for watching films, but I usually only use it when I'm travelling rather than at home. I do feel a little lonely in the cinema by myself though...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,378 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#8 2 years ago
"c0mpliant"I have the GearVR that I use for watching films, but I usually only use it when I'm travelling rather than at home. I do feel a little lonely in the cinema by myself though...

I need to see if I can get an app like that for my iPhone / Google Cardboard!

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MoreGun89

53 XP

28th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Have played, loved what I saw, but it's not something I can keep up with until more developers begin compensating for motion (otherwise I have straight up vomited after a session, bad motion sickness unless I'm wearing my patches).  Going to give another mention and kudos to Time Machine VR for doing such an incredible job with this!  I can't snorkel because of this issue, but I can play this game!!

Mother Banhammer

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago
"MoreGun89"Have played, loved what I saw, but it's not something I can keep up with until more developers begin compensating for motion (otherwise I have straight up vomited after a session, bad motion sickness unless I'm wearing my patches)

What game was that that you played? I've only experienced that with one rollercoster game but it had some sort of framerate issue so it didn't matter if you were going downhill fast or uphill slowly, you feel queezy