Is it possible to stream games from my Home PC to a laptop over the internet? 2 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,299 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Something like Steam streaming is great except, I'd like to be able to do it across an internet connection.

Goes back to my wanting to play games while away from home.  If I could stream games from my PC to my Surface, then I could game well on the go.

Does such a service exist?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,401 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#2 1 year ago

There are a couple ways to do it via some 3rd party apps or services. I've never tried it because my internet is shit and couldn't support it anyways.

I think you can do it with Nvidia GameStream but that obviously requires a Nvidia GPU.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#3 1 year ago

AFAIK you can use Steam in-home streaming for that. Set up a VPN on both machines and connect them (there are tutorials on google). Really depends on your internet connection for the upload and download, chances are that fast-paced games may have too much lag. Sometimes your ISP can provide better latency for a higher fee. If you are using DSL make sure you have enough upstream.

There is also software for streaming to Android devices (limelight or somesuch). Haven't tried these things yet as I don't have a good mobile internet connection, but I generally like the idea (imagine buying a light a mobile laptop and connecting it to your powerful PC at home).