Reekris

Formerly Red Rebel

60,555 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

5,413 Posts

0 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I've been playing the crap out of it and I'm going to go ahead and say "yes". This game just sucks me in and won't let go! There are so many things to do, and it feels like you truly shape the story with your actions. I know a lot of people don't like the movement/combat but it's really grown on me. I'm gonna go back now, I have some DLC to play.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

"Best Game Ever" will always be subjective.

And no it isn't even top 3 but good enough for top 5 of the greatest western rpg's so far.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,205 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,111 Posts

1,329 Threads

#3 2 years ago

It's in my personal top 5 games.

I'd say it's probably the best written game I've ever played. No game has made me care about characters more.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,475 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Lord Rumpuss V"greatest western rpg's so far.

Western?

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,723 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#5 2 years ago

It's got the intensity to require you to think (or be a bit lost), but it still feels like a game you can play pretty casually. Characters, complexity, and depth are awesome.

I think it's a top 3 for me at this moment in time. Scaling for time, experience, etc., probably still top 3.

"RadioActiveLobster"It's in my personal top 5 games.

I'd say it's probably the best written game I've ever played. No game has made me care about characters more.

It got to a sort of awkward point where, never having been an IRL romantic relationship before, in-game I was psycho-analyzing myself to try to figure out how I was managing to so consistently dodge romantic relationships while simply interacting with characters as closely as possible to how I would imagine myself doing so in real life.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"Western?

JRPG's are in a league among themselves then there are the action rpg's (Diablo and it's clones and offshoots)  and hybrid rpg's. (Deus Ex series as well as the ME series fall into this category)

The RPG genre itself has evolved in a way that it developed it's own sub genre's.  Kinda like what happened to Metal music I suppose.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Reekris

Formerly Red Rebel

60,555 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

5,413 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"RadioActiveLobster"It's in my personal top 5 games.

I couldn't agree more, and that I think is why I love it so much. Of course I like a game that plays well and has good mechanics, but as I've gotten older story has become more and more important to me.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#8 2 years ago

That's a surprisingly difficult question to answer, liking several different genres, as I do.

Is it the best space-strategy game? No. Best ground-based RTS? No. But there's at least some cross over. It's better than Sword of the Stars 2, not in a falling higher on the list for its genre than SOTS2 does, but in an absolute sense where it would make sense for them both to be on the same list.

It's certainly the game with the best compromise between scope and production values that I've ever seen. That they were able to make a true open world game, with that many beautifully written stories at that level of detail, is incredible and their post launch support - including their excellent expansion packs - has been very good. They deserve every damned penny they make from that game.

Judging it purely in terms of RPGs. The big ones there, the ones that get Nem's "Buy it" stamp of approval, are going to be:

• The Witcher 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Neverwinter Nights (with mods, without was kinda bad.)
  • Baldur's Gate

And you know... it's hard to choose between those. If you had to eliminate one of those from history in order to have the Witcher 3, which would it be? Would you never have that delicious moment at the end of ME1 where you're storming the Citadel while fleets die around you and you decide the fate of the council? I played that with orchestral music blaring through my headphones one night and it was very good. Would you never have those character moments from KOTOR? Those party conversations that made the thing feel so much more like you were travelling with a bunch of people (and the messing up of which are why Dragon Age does not make the buy-it list)? Would you remove those excellent downloadable campaigns from NWN? (Honestly, that game was more building material than game, in some ways.)

The easiest one is Baldur's Gate. That's rather dramatically showing its age and the limitations of the system it used at this point - gaming, and tabletop gaming as well, has moved on. If you'd never heard of THAC0, you wouldn't invent it. So I suppose Witcher 3 is better than BG.

Still, there's some very high calibre competition left on the list. I'm not sure that any one of them is a clear win out against the others.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Categorising games like that and listing them up is extremely difficult. I think The Witcher 3 gets a few points right, that other games have failed;

• Quests aren't "fetch" quests. Every single quest has a story. Each quest is a mini-plot in itself. Even simple "fetch" quests are backed by sometimes complex plotlines
  • Environments feel hand-crafted. No two locations feel the same. After a few hours, it's still possible to get lost because of weather and lighting changes. This makes the environment feel incredibly living.
  • Geralt is, while being a very fleshed out character with a deep backstory, someone that players can associate with. This is actually a testament to the capabilities of CDPR's writers. They've managed to take a pre-established personality and make him someone that players can associate with easily.

I would argue that Mass Effect, for instance, gets all three points right, but not to the same degree. Shepard lacks the backstory that Geralt does, so you don't have characters like Yennefer or Dandelion, who has a close connection with your PC. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Mass Effect focuses on player choice, whereas Witcher 3 focuses on narrative.

In terms of narrative, Witcher 3 definitely wins out. Hands down. Seriously. Go read The Last Wish after playing the Witcher 3, and you'll see just how on-point the game feels. From how you encounter some quests, to Geralt's personality. It's incredible.