Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Could be good, I found that after Mass Effect 1 the series went downhill rather rapidly with the originals but... eh. Cautiously optimistic. Maybe they'll do a better storyline now they're not tied to some undefeatable evil they've gotta a-pull around. ^_^

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Too little shown so far for me to really decide. I'll wait with getting hyped until they've shown some actual gameplay.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Nemmerle"Could be good, I found that after Mass Effect 1 the series went downhill rather rapidly with the originals but... eh. Cautiously optimistic. Maybe they'll do a better storyline now they're not tied to some undefeatable evil they've gotta a-pull around. ^_^

i've played the whole trilogy, with an average of over 60h of gameplay for each part (that's SINGLE play-through), and while i see where you're coming from, you gotta accept one thing: this isn't baldur's gate. sure, the stats were visibly more complicated in ME1, there was equipment management and so on, but did it really make the gameplay better? in my opinion, not at all. there were some heavy changes in ME2, then less drastic ones in ME3, but overall it was all for the better. ME was never a pure rpg, it's a story-driven tactical third person sci-fi shooter with some heavy rpg elements, and as such, the whole trilogy is brilliant.

as for the storyline, one thing you cannot deny is, it was EPIC. and that's the whole point of this series, imho - from the smallest details, from single conversations with different characters, through some tough decissions, you're going all the way up to change the fate of the galaxy. all the emotional bonds Shepard had with different characters, all that epic moments and story twists, were perfectly written. could it all be better? sure. is there anything better currently? no.

if you're after pure rpg with tons of stats, you'll better start looking elsewhere. for me though (die-hard neverwinter nights 1, fallout 1/2/3 and morrowind fan, with countless days of play-through in all of those - my character in morrowind was around level 70 or higher, and that was without tribunal and bloodmoon), mass effect trilogy strikes a perfect balance, which makes it engaging on all fronts - from emotional storytelling, through character development, down to sci-fi shooter - and all of it has EPIC written all over it. it has what i call "fuck yeah factor" - making every single hour spent on it worth it. there are other good games, but none that i've played is as engaging as the mass effect trilogy, and none has that "fuck yeah factor", which comes not only from epicness, but from the balance of all the other elements i've mentioned. and in regard to that, ME2 and ME3 were both an improvement over, already great, ME1.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#5 2 years ago

"unic0rn" i've played the whole trilogy, with an average of over 60h of gameplay for each part (that's SINGLE play-through), and while i see where you're coming from, you gotta accept one thing: this isn't baldur's gate. sure, the stats were visibly more complicated in ME1, there was equipment management and so on, but did it really make the gameplay better? in my opinion, not at all. there were some heavy changes in ME2, then less drastic ones in ME3, but overall it was all for the better. ME was never a pure rpg, it's a story-driven tactical third person sci-fi shooter with some heavy rpg elements, and as such, the whole trilogy is brilliant.

as for the storyline, one thing you cannot deny is, it was EPIC. and that's the whole point of this series, imho - from the smallest details, from single conversations with different characters, through some tough decissions, you're going all the way up to change the fate of the galaxy. all the emotional bonds Shepard had with different characters, all that epic moments and story twists, were perfectly written. could it all be better? sure. is there anything better currently? no.

if you're after pure rpg with tons of stats, you'll better start looking elsewhere. for me though (die-hard neverwinter nights 1, fallout 1/2/3 and morrowind fan, with countless days of play-through in all of those - my character in morrowind was around level 70 or higher, and that was without tribunal and bloodmoon), mass effect trilogy strikes a perfect balance, which makes it engaging on all fronts - from emotional storytelling, through character development, down to sci-fi shooter - and all of it has EPIC written all over it. it has what i call "fuck yeah factor" - making every single hour spent on it worth it. there are other good games, but none that i've played is as engaging as the mass effect trilogy, and none has that "fuck yeah factor", which comes not only from epicness, but from the balance of all the other elements i've mentioned. and in regard to that, ME2 and ME3 were both an improvement over, already great, ME1.

Sure, I found it at least a reasonable time - and I think a few of the things they did with the characters and storyline kinda messed things up from that side. There was epic, but at the same time I can't look on someone who flies for terrorists who enjoy inefficient human experimentation with the rationalisation that 'they let me fly again, can't be that bad' as a good guy. It's difficult to take the Alliance and Council and so on seriously when they're all 'La-la-la! Reapers? We see no evidence of this!' It's difficult to like the same things in Liara that were in Mass Effect 1 when she's threatening to skin people alive with her mind - like WTF? Hey, remember your love interest from ME1? Won't give you the time of day now!

And so on.

It felt like the latter episodes were written by people who had a limited understanding of what made the characters in Mass Effect 1 appealing and what was interesting about their story. Instead they went for a sequence of vignettes, which while individually interesting were for me never able to recreate the interesting moments of the first entry in the series.

That they nuked the Normandy at the start of the second game basically sums it all up, they had to wipe the slate clean the changes they were introducing were so extreme. They had to come up with some cock and bull story to leverage Shepard into working with such shitty people in the first place.

-sighs-

It's basically, 'Mass Effect: You're the only adult in the galaxy.' from 2 onward. With deleterious effects on the characters involved.

There were mechanical improvements, and parts of it were enjoyable. I feel it's hard to make a story that has a great deal of emotional investment when your story is a string of epic moments that don't connect together too well though.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

well, i'll disagree. years have passed, Liara has changed. the impression wasn't really that bad if you've played through the shadowbroker dlc, but sure - she was different. it's called character development. in ME1, she was naive. in ME2, she was fighting. in ME3, she grew up.

as for flying for Cerberus - Shepard was using their resources. like, Normandy, and intel. in the end, Shepard was doing what had to be done, using whatever means necessary - not sure about you, but i've told Illusive Man to go fuck himself in the end of ME2. because i could.

as for the Council, perhaps they weren't 100% certain about the threat, but they were certain that if it's true, it's the end game. if you're facing a threat that large, what else can you do? you saw the Citadel in ME3, refugees from everywhere. don't you think it would start a lot sooner if they wouldn't supress the information to avoid galaxy-wide panic? sure, they've acted like fools until ME3 - but they were terrified. they didn't want to believe it, because they knew that if it's true, it could be the end for everyone. for me it actually felt natural. sure, they were pissing me off - but that was the point. politics, secrets, fear - it all served a purpose. and btw, the Alliance was already considering the reaper threat to be real in ME2 - unofficially, but still.

as for epic moments not connecting together too well, do every single sidequest encountered - and i mean every single one, in the whole trilogy, including dlcs, before talking such nonsense. you accuse the creators of ME2 and ME3 of having limited understanding of ME1, but it's actually you having limited understanding of the trilogy, imho. there were plenty of connections, even the dlcs introduced some, and they all felt real, emotional and valuable. to fully enjoy it though, one has to play through the whole trilogy with a single character, preferably one part after another, while it's all fresh. if you didn't do that, you shouldn't be commenting on the story, really.

and yes, they did kind of a reset in ME2. yes, they did it to be able to show Cerberus, and to make Shepard work with them/use them. Cerberus was divided into cells, one cell didn't know what another one does. characters had doubts, didn't believe some things, and didn't have a full understanding of Illusive Man's plot. noone had, including Shepard. it was all part of the story, neccesary before ME3 could unwind. i would hardly call meeting Garrus on Omega an event written by people having limited understanding of what made the characters in ME1 great though. quite the contrary, it was brilliant storytelling all the way through the whole trilogy, imho. "shitty people"? Illusive Man was a shitty person, those doing the experiments were shitty people, but other cells had no idea. they did what they've considered to be a right thing to do, and for the most part, they did good. if for you that's a "cock and bull story", you're better of playing some numb black and white fantasy rpg. mass effect trilogy tells a story, and it's a story to be enjoyed and to be part of. it doesn't give a fuck if you would prefer to be a white knight on a high horse, because it's not supposed to be a fairytale. it's a realistic sci-fi storytelling, and if that's not something for you, you can't blame the trilogy for holding its ground.

it takes time to enjoy and get it all though. as i've said, over 60h in average for each part, all finished one after another with a single character - and that's only one variant of the story, because you can always make different choices along the way.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#7 2 years ago

The biggest problem with the Mass Effect trilogy - speaking as someone with *thousands* of hours  (literally - I was unemployed and single) experience - was that you could tell quite easily where the lead writer left the company. With him went the entire plot. BioWare clearly had no idea where to take the unbeatable force of extragalactic aliens after he left the company. And that led to deus ex machina.

I have high hopes for Andromeda, but no hype. We'll just have to see.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#8 2 years ago

I still think the Collectors was a bit of an odd inclusion. There was no hint of them whatsoever in Mass Effect, but everyone in Mass Effect 2 act like they're someone you should have heard of. I think they screwed up a little bit. Still was epic, but they could've had more foresight.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

years have passed between ME1 and ME2. of course you didn't hear of them, being more or less dead.

as for the lead writer, i know there were different plans for the ME3's ending. but it wasn't really that bad as people make it to be either (with extended cut, at least). what it was lacking for me is a direct result of Shepard ending up - again, more or less - dead. an emotional scene with Shepard and the crew, a meeting with the Council, stuff like that. it would leave the door open for mass effect: andromeda featuring Shepard as well. but in that regard, i respect BioWare for making a non-hollywood ending. what's more, they've said there's no canon ending to ME3 and that they respect player's choices - we'll see how that connects with andromeda.

as for the rest of ME3, the handling of the reapers and how the geth were presented - for me it was damn good. it's easy to complain when you know they had different plans at some point, and it's easy to say that it's easy to see when the lead writer left the company - when you know that he did. perhaps you're just blaming it all on BioWare, because the story didn't go the way you would like it to? if so, it's like blaming a writer for a twist in his book.

i've said it already, i'll say it once more. could it all be better? damn right it could - and that's where i hope mass effect: andromeda will step in. is there anything better currently though? not really. and with that in mind, i can't understand why people keep beating the - certainly 100% - dead horse. mass effect trilogy isn't without its downsides, but we yet have to see anything better. as it is, it's brilliant and to have anything worth comparison, we'll have to wait for mass effect: andromeda.

it's like having a thousand of hard candies and one epic cake, and shitting on that cake because it doesn't have a cherry on top. is it that hard to enjoy it for what it is?

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,717 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#10 2 years ago

For me, Mass Effect had a fairly significant impact on my perspective in life. It was a very good game all-around but I also played it at the perfect time. Mass Effect 3 felt rushed and scrambled. It wasn't as interesting as the other two games but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I'm pretty excited for the next installment, but I'll understand if it's not as good as the previous games.