Mass Effect heads to PC in May 2008... 20 replies

Please wait...

Flodgy

I'm way cooler than n0e (who isn't though?)

50 XP

27th May 2004

0 Uploads

6,034 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks that this is fucking brilliant news?

Here is the announcement.

BioWare and EA have announced plans to bring Mass Effect to the PC in May 2008. Frank Gibeau, President of EA's Games Label said in a statement that "EA has struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect. We are looking forward to releasing Mass Effect on the PC this Spring and brand new titles in the future." In addition to all the M-rated lovin' that took place in the acclaimed Xbox 360 version, the PC rendition of Mass Effect will also include some new features:
  • New controls designed specifically for the PC.
  • High resolution visuals - Mass Effect for the PC features highly detailed textures, characters and environments.
  • Fully customizable controls - PC gamers can re-map the control scheme any way they like.
  • Run & Gun Control - Players can assign biotic powers or skills to 'hot keys.'
  • New decryption mini-game.
  • New inventory screen GUI and functionality.
Since its release in 2007, Mass Effect has received more than 70 awards including Game of the Year, Console Game of the Year and Role-Playing Game of the Year, and features voice work from actors Seth Green, Marina Sirtis, Lance Henriksen and Keith David.

At GamePro.

N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

I thought it was already on PC....

So it's going to be a port? I hope it doesn't suck.

Ensign Riles VIP Member

No! I'm Spamacus!

426,516 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

39,479 Posts

1 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I don't really know anything about this game other than it generated a lot of hype preceeding its release, and that there was some sort of controversial scene in it.

I'll have to add it to the list of games that I'll be watching for this year.

Flodgy

I'm way cooler than n0e (who isn't though?)

50 XP

27th May 2004

0 Uploads

6,034 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

n88tr;4212097I thought it was already on PC....

So it's going to be a port? I hope it doesn't suck.[/quote]

It was originally an exclusive for the Xbox 360. It was always known that it would eventually make it to PC, and it won't be a complete port, as PC users get a bit of bonus materials. That and Bioware has never let us down before.

[quote=Ensign Riles;4212101]I don't really know anything about this game other than it generated a lot of hype preceeding its release, and that there was some sort of controversial scene in it.

I'll have to add it to the list of games that I'll be watching for this year.

It's a Sci-Fi Action RPG that offered a rather unique story and claimed one of the best games of 2007 awards.

The controversy was over a 'sex scene' in which nothing was revealed, and mis-informed people made stupid assumptions about the game on Television. Hell, even Jack Thompson went against the idiots, claiming them to be "Judgmental morons." I know, ironic, but at least he isn't as stupid as proven in the past.

BlitZ, The 57th

Fack, Fack you, Fack that

50 XP

20th April 2007

0 Uploads

3,236 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Yeah~ Hah~! Something to keep me awake while on computer, until Deus Ex 3 !!

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

I've done a bit of reading about Mass Effect and I'm not sure I'll like it all that much. Glitch wise there are some fairly significant problems that would definitely detract from the experience. The turret of the land buggy you drive (Mako) can not aim above or bleow it's own height despite the crosshairs being able to land on objects that are, quite bogus. The Maws, one of the most engaging and challenging enemies, can pop up under you causing instant death and/or getting stuck on them making the plains they inhabit something to avoid when the plains are the only place to make use of the Mako's turret well. Other than that I really don't like Bioware's intended combat method of pausing action WHILE you're in a firefight to adjust your Biotic choices. In video footage I've seen that just looks too easy and non immersive. To be able to casually freeze action while engaged in a battle rather than having to skillfully and/or intelligently predetermine which to use or take cover while changing them would have been a lot better IMO. I don't mind RPG elements but when they start making it so you can manipulate the battle with no regard to real time danger it might as well be godmode. Aside from that, I'm assuming the above mentioned glitches along with the texture pop ins, frame rate dips at inopportune times, frequent loading spots, etc will be as prevalent if not more so in the PC port, which are always worse than the titles they come from.

crisissuit3

We will rule you

101,365 XP

17th August 2007

0 Uploads

9,209 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

cool mass effect for the pc. im still deciding whether i should get a 360 espcially with all these ports.

arcadeplayer987

Revenge was here.

50 XP

25th April 2007

0 Uploads

1,819 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Those are great news, I want Mass Effect for PC badly

daft vader

YOU’RE WINNER

50 XP

6th February 2008

0 Uploads

23 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

finally, mass effect like it was meant to be played, on the pc! not insulting the 360 version, but it just didn't feel right on the console. it's going to be nice once modders get their hands on this game.

Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

Well...just image the high end computer where going to need!

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords