Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Here's another Kickstarter that rammed into a wall at full speed. Mighty No. 9 by Comcept. Besides a trailer that insulted its target demographics, Mighty No. 9 has launched with a fair number of backers reporting that their promised rewards are, in fact, nowhere to be seen. Those with the Wii U version have reported extreme graphical glitches and other performance issues, with some even reporting that the game is breaking their Wii.

Keiji Inafune managed to secure $4 million for this, and has stood out and said;

"I own all the problems that came with this game and if you want to hurl insults at me, it's totally my fault. I'm the key creator. I will own that responsibility."

So at least the creator is owning up. Ars Technica has speculated that a large number of the issues may stem from the game spreading itself too thin. With the game launching on Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux, 3DS and Vita(and with Nvidia Shield listed, too), it's a lot of work to do QA across all platforms, and no surprise that a few of the versions have issues.

... Also, the credits include all the backers, so they're four hours long.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Maybe there should be some sort of cap system for how much money people new to the business/indie development game can acquire. Looks to me like most people who set out to develop a product just aren't ready for it. They don't realize how much organization, dedication, energy, and skill is actually required and they just don't have what it takes. They can get there, but blowing $4 million dollars is more than a life lesson if you ask me.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Game failed coz' it spiraled into what was supposed to be an ode to early megaman series into a political statement to appease the progressive fuckstains of the gaming industry.

You can do both if you're Bioware backed by E.A but as an indie dev? No.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"Game failed coz' it spiraled into what was supposed to be an ode to early megaman series into a political statement to appease the progressive fuckstains of the gaming industry.

You can do both if you're Bioware backed by E.A but as an indie dev? No.

... Wot.  Do you mean how Inafune treated the development team? That's the only "political statement" I can find. He scolded both DeepSilver and blamed the developers for delays.

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

This:

Mighty No. 9

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#6 2 years ago

They didn't change the game. The article you linked is about the misbehaviour of their community manager, who left the project anyway. There's absolutely nothing in that article that says they changed the game to appease anyone; quite the contrary. It explicitly states she had nothing to do with the development of the game itself.

Besides, the problems with this game isn't a "lack of funds" or a "lack of popularity". It's mismanagement.

MoreGun89

55 XP

27th July 2004

0 Uploads

2,426 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Despite some minor issues, it does look, play, and feel like early Megaman on hardmode.  It is unfortunate that they released on so many platforms for those QA purposes though.  I don't see it being more than a blip in this year's releases.

Mother Banhammer

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"Serio"They didn't change the game. The article you linked is about the misbehaviour of their community manager, who left the project anyway. There's absolutely nothing in that article that says they changed the game to appease anyone; quite the contrary. It explicitly states she had nothing to do with the development of the game itself.

Besides, the problems with this game isn't a "lack of funds" or a "lack of popularity". It's mismanagement.

Uh-huh so...they paid someone to bad mouth a group of gamers and then probably paid her separation fee as well. So a dent on their kickstarter funds that could've gone on to more important things like oh you know...Development of the actual game?