The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

The King is dead, long live the King?

Microsoft just announced the end of Xbox Exclusives for their part. Third party publishers will still, of course, have the choice of going exclusive, but as far as Microsoft is concerned? All their future published titles will be Play Anywhere. We all saw it coming, but it's kinda strange to think about. This means that future Halo games, Gears of War, Crackdown, Fable(should they decide to revive that), and even Perfect Dark will receive a PC version. 

... This also kills probably their biggest selling point, so I don't know what they're doing with this. I suppose the UWP might bring them some extra cash to make up for it?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/05/microsoft-makes-it-clear-there-is-no-longer-such-a-thing-as-an-xbox-exclusive-game/#5133d97fee09

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#2 2 years ago

"Serio"The King is dead, long live the King?

Microsoft just announced the end of Xbox Exclusives for their part. Third party publishers will still, of course, have the choice of going exclusive, but as far as Microsoft is concerned? All their future published titles will be Play Anywhere. We all saw it coming, but it's kinda strange to think about. This means that future Halo games, Gears of War, Crackdown, Fable(should they decide to revive that), and even Perfect Dark will receive a PC version. 

... This also kills probably their biggest selling point, so I don't know what they're doing with this. I suppose the UWP might bring them some extra cash to make up for it?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/05/microsoft-makes-it-clear-there-is-no-longer-such-a-thing-as-an-xbox-exclusive-game/#5133d97fee09

I don't think that's really its 'biggest' selling point. Lots of Xbox 'exclusives' have been coming out on PC for ages anyway; Halo is conspicuous by its absence, but otherwise...  

PS4 owners still won't be able to play them unless they have a gaming PC, so people who are interested in Microsoft's franchises, but not interested in owning a gaming PC, will still pick it up, as will new console buyers who have a particular preference for the Xbox's infrastructure, joypad, etc. If anything, the fact that you now inadvertently get tied into the Xbox ecosystem when buying a Microsoft game might encourage some console-neutral PC gamers to pick one up too if they're ever in the market for one.

Of course, it could spectacularly backfire on them too.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,221 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,112 Posts

1,329 Threads

#3 2 years ago

They've since changed their statement to say "Only games we showed at E3 this year."

Phil Spencer said it was to clarify for the future since there might be first party games that may not work/fit on a given platform, such as a kinect game.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Steampoweredcat

Registered Loser

50 XP

12th July 2016

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Xbox had exclusives?

"When I die, I want to go in my sleep just like my Grandpa did. Not screaming like all the people on his plane."

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Finally Halo wars on the P.C. Where it belongs.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Maybe this is related to the architecture of the latest consoles, which is apparently much closer to the PC architecture.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"Finally Halo wars on the P.C. Where it belongs.[/quote] It worked okay on Xbox 360, but yes. The original Halo Wars should've been on PC too. It would've worked far better there.

[quote="MrFancypants"]Maybe this is related to the architecture of the latest consoles, which is apparently much closer to the PC architecture.

Seems likely.