Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Well, it has happened. The game that just couldn't die, has died. Or, perhaps more accurately, it has been put down by Sony.

PlanetSide, which launched in 2003(that's 13 years ago), was one of the first big, MMOFPS games out there. It predated its sequel by almost a decade, and survived even after its release. But Sony finally decided it was time for it to shut down. So, on July 1st, at 4 PM pacific time, the in-game world underwent an apocalypse right before the game servers shut down for the last time.

It really had a charm that PlanetSide 2 never captured. Whereas the battles in PlanetSide 2 simply feel like big 64 player matches, the ones in the first game actually felt like all out war. People would arrive in drop ships, strategically dropping into the battle. Tactics were important. And of course it had none of the P2W bullnuts.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Surprised it lasted this long, considering that Sony decided from about 2 years ago that Density (Yes the spelling was intentional) was gonna be it's new baby. Hence why the lack of Sony exclusive FPS titles. (Damn you Sony!  I want mah space nazis back !)

If only they didn't drop the ball on the sequel. Oh well at least the I.P will still be kept alive via mods on other games.

Weird thing about this franchise is Sony never thought to make an rts off-shoot of it to compete with Windows's own Halo wars, considering that it had all the recipes to make one. IE: Three factions, Specialized troops and Vehicles aplenty.

Just makes me scratch my head alot thinking about it.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Yeah, well, they did Starwars Galaxies reboot too, so... ya' know. Not a great track record there.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,234 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#4 2 years ago

FYI it was killed by DayBreak Games (which is technically formerly Sony Online Entertainment) not Sony.

Sony hasn't owned the games in a while.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I actually thought Sony still owned Daybreak, but they've sold them to Columbus Nova. Not surprised to find that's an investment firm. They're shit at managing assets.