Skyrim Remastered thread 11 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,293 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I've played it, and my feeling is, for the most part, it does look better, nice draw distances, improved lighting overall, but....

Without most of the critical mods I had before, it's just impossible for me to feel like I can get into it right now, especially when I can achieve a perfectly good graphical look with mods on the original.

I can see the appeal for console players, but for PC, I'm just really struggling here. I am enjoying the Bioshock 1 and 2 remasters, purely because nobody ever mods those games for some reason, so it was nice to get some fixes and updated graphics there.

But for this, I'm just not sold at all.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Skyrim is not crashing anymore! Best game ever!

(Seriously. The original would CONSTANTLY crash over and over.)

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I'm actually playing a vanilla run right now. It's far more stable, and the new lightning is amazing. I do feel like it's better in many respects, and certainly far more stable.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,853 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,877 Posts

217 Threads

#4 2 years ago

New... lightning?

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

darkclone

116,900 XP

10th April 2006

0 Uploads

11,075 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Leave the foreigner alone Mikey...

I've played a few minutes of it, but like you FileTrekker, I can't play without certain mods. SkyUI is the main one, and that's dependent on SKSE being ported, and there is only rumour surrounding that right now.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Remastered is in the early stages, but quite a lot of mods have been ported over.

With any luck, one of these might help you.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,293 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I might give that a whirl, I'm not too keen on the fonts but it does seem to be similar to Sky UI.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Bethesda did contact many of the popular modders on Nexus, and gave them early access to the Remastered. Even without early access, I suspect 90% of the popular mods will be ported over within a month or two.

The other 10% is modders who have moved on to other things, which many of those exist. Even if a mod is no longer supported, someone may take that idea, and expand on it. So expect to see interesting things in the coming months.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#9 2 years ago

As someone who played it on the Xbox 360 originally, I was marginally impressed with the overhaul. The new lighting system is by far the best addition, whereas the textures and characters are all about as I remember them, to be honest. Yes, I know they have the 'ultra' textures on them now, but it hasn't made so much of a difference to how I remember the game looking.

My biggest problem with the remaster is that, as someone who sank thousands of hours into Skyrim Vanilla... I just got very bored, very quickly. I'm burned out on Skyrim.

This is one for people who missed it the first time around, really.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#10 2 years ago

The textures mainly apply to environmental stuff, such as god rays, and the fact that water actually flows like water now, stuff that was not possible in 2011 game engines. For years, we have needed mods to accomplish this same. Now, it comes stock. Yes, it looks the same as what we have had in mods for years, BUT the simple fact that it now comes stock means we have have those environmental effects without ever needing to use mods in the first place. I consider it the equivalent to getting something that is in mint condition out of the box, instead of getting something sub-par that we need to work on ourselves to make it mint.

Really, the main advantage of this remaster, the real reason for this remaster, is the ability to use 64-bit, which includes the ability to use all of your RAM. As I am sure you remember, the original lived to crash. And certain parts would be a guaranteed crash every time, no matter what you did. For example, at least for me, riding a horse at full gallop anywhere in the vicinity of Dragon Bridge causes the original to crash. That is because the original was 32-bit, which means it was capped at 4gb of RAM. No matter how much more RAM your system has, Skyrim could not access it. That either led to memory overflows, or the game trying to use something that had not yet loaded, both issues crashing the game. And the more and mods you have, the more and more the game needs to load, which means even MORE crashes. Lovely.

The remaster using all of your RAM means no more crashing. FINALLY!