Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#1 10 months ago

Starter packages are 20% off today - well, for the next 14 hours - in case anyone's still on the fence but almost at the buy-in point.

RSI Aurora MR and CO Mustang Alpha packages are $42 a piece.

MISC Reliant Kore is $90, but seriously underperforms for its price, so don't bother.

My advice, start with a Mustang and then spring for the Mustang Alpha -> Avenger Titan upgrade when you have the pennies to spare. Faster and more powerful than a base Aurora, slower but tankier than a Mustang, has a bunk for safe logouts and the cargo capacity is somewhere in between the two. Best all-rounder ship in the starter bracket.

Also grab a referral code off someone if you can for a 5000 UEC credit on launch day. Or use the randomizer from the game's subreddit. Whatever.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Last edited by Mikouen 10 months ago

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#2 10 months ago

That said, the Mustang itself is currently going through a pretty bitchin' rebuild.....

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,817 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#3 10 months ago

I hear they are selling in-game real estate now to raise money. Those guys certainly are good at marketing. I bought the cheapest bundle during the initial campaign, that was quite a while ago.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#4 10 months ago

Yeah, there was a whole bitchfest about that.

Turns out they're only selling land claims - you can't claim any land until after release, and finding profitable land still requires a shitload of work from explorers and prospectors, all the assets needed to work the land, people to protect the land, etc. By the time you've got all that, buying the claims in-game will be a drop in the bucket, so I don't see why anyone would waste money buying them upfront.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,817 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#5 10 months ago

Well if they can make money out of it more power to them. I don't see the point of any of these investments as unlocking stuff is kind of the whole point of this kind of game in my opinion.

Jeff Über Admin

I am a mean boss ⬆️⬆️⬇️⬇️⬅️➡️⬅️➡️🅱🅰

184,632 XP

6th April 2000

0 Uploads

14,591 Posts

1,534 Threads

#6 10 months ago

From what I've seen about this game, it's all smoke and mirrors. It's absurdly over budget and selling content that hasn't even been developed yet. I'm just amazed people are actually buying into it. 

They should at least have a playable amount they could release for their supporters, but that doesn't even seem to exist yet. 

Product Manager | GameFront.com

Last edited by Jeff 10 months ago

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#7 10 months ago

The current test server patch - alpha 3.0 - is going to make or break it for a lot of people, though. It's been touted for a long time as the base on which the game can be built, so it really has to stand up to scrutiny when it goes public. Early reports are a mixed bag, but the feature list is being checked off steadily enough - we've got four moons, three major outposts, mission and cargo systems now so y'know.... progress.

Meh, could go either way. It's about three, three and a half years into production, tops. GTA5 took five years - and that had more money, more staff, and a recycled game engine - so I'm willing to let CIG have some more rope.

If they make a noose with it.... well, I'm in for a measly $60 so whatever.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#8 10 months ago

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,237 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#9 10 months ago

I'm invested into this about $45 IIRC so I'm not too concerned if it all falls apart and fails, I'm out the price of a decent meal.

Though some of the reports I'm hearing about 3.0's performance don't really impress me all that much. One guy said he was getting a good consistent 3-5 FPS. Super cinematic that.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#10 10 months ago

Based off what I saw on youtube, the graphics are pretty good though not a whole lot better than, say, Alien: Isolation.  I will say I absolutely love open-world scenarios like this, and space makes it 100x more enticing, but yeah...games in development...I've already got The Forest.  That game is still at version 0.71 at the time of this post and while it's engaging and a lot of fun to explore an island of cannibals using nothing more than hand-tools and your own wits, waiting around for several more updates - at an average interval of 60 days I might add - doesn't strike me as the greatest experience.  Still, I guess that's what youtube is for ^_^

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.