Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I find myself more often than not checking if a game I'm looking at buying actually has Steam Workshop support. It's perhaps a bit silly; the Workshop not being present isn't an indicator of a modding community missing. But it does help lazy butts like me to actually find mods more easily and without all the hassle of messing around with mod managers.

How about you lot?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,790 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I have found a few good Skyrim mods on the Workshop that were not on Nexus.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

c0mpliant VIP Member

50 XP

9th March 2003

0 Uploads

1,947 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

I think the workshop has been a great idea poorly executed. The actual integration with the games is fantastic, but as a platform for finding content it's terrible. Searches aren't always accurate because they might not have a good description, trends aren't reliable because its either "all time" lists or recent lists. The big problem has been the limitations on the mods. One of the reasons nexus mods still exists is because there is a file size limit on the workshop, so not all mods are available on it. Second they age restrict the workshop, rather than include an date of birth check its simply doesn't allow adult content to be published on it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#4 2 years ago

I suppose that's a very good point. I haven't run into the size limits, since the games I play and mod are often ones that don't require 4K textures or audio. But for games like Skyrim, the size limit can be very - well - limiting.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,267 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#5 2 years ago

100% agree with what c0mpliant said, that was what I was going to bring up; I barely ever use it because I find it so hard to find and navigate. Some of the stuff on there is cool, but I tend to find out about it from other sources then go grab it, I rarely ever use it for the sake of using it.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,790 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#6 2 years ago

The main reason Skyrim files have size limits is because Skyrim allegedly only uses 4gb of your RAM, no matter how much you may have.

In my case, I have a pair of 4gb RAM in a dual channel. Even still, I only get the performance of 4gb.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,234 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"Lindale"The main reason Skyrim files have size limits is because Skyrim allegedly only uses 4gb of your RAM, no matter how much you may have.

In my case, I have a pair of 4gb RAM in a dual channel. Even still, I only get the performance of 4gb.[/quote]

This is because of the way Skryrim is coded. This will be resolved in the upcoming re-release. There are mods that can help get around this a bit though.

[quote="c0mpliant"]I think the workshop has been a great idea poorly executed. The actual integration with the games is fantastic, but as a platform for finding content it's terrible. Searches aren't always accurate because they might not have a good description, trends aren't reliable because its either "all time" lists or recent lists. The big problem has been the limitations on the mods. One of the reasons nexus mods still exists is because there is a file size limit on the workshop, so not all mods are available on it. Second they age restrict the workshop, rather than include an date of birth check its simply doesn't allow adult content to be published on it.

I agree with most of this. The integration is excellent. It keeps mods up to date and easy to install/uninstall.

It has it's downsides though. There are mods that are note compatible due to the way they need installed (script extenders are a big one) but goes a long way.

The game I've played that has benefited the most from the Workshop IMO is ArmA III. Prior to the workshop finding mods, making sure they were installed correctly and having the right versions could be a big pain in the ass. There was no easy way for a server to list/show what mods it needed and what mods it didn't. Now, you can subscribe to all the mods needed for a server directly from the game and it auto downloads and keeps the updated all the time. If they remove a mod or add one to the server, it'll tell you before you join.

It still has it's issues. If a server owner doesn't add the mods correctly or doesn't enforce the modset, you can still get missing mods and miss matches but it's a lot easier to manage them now.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

darkclone

116,900 XP

10th April 2006

0 Uploads

11,075 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

As Rad said, the Skyrim re-master will be 64-bit so that you won't have memory issues with mods. I've never used Steam Workshop for Skyrim though, I just stick with Nexus.

Cities: Skylines, however, I use Steam Workshop plenty. It's a fantastic source of player-made maps and assets that integrate into the game so easily.

Badgerz

Culled

50 XP

8th September 2016

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I use the workshop quite a lot, agree it could be a bit easier to search for things, but overall it works fine.

[color=black]THE NORTH/SOUTH DIVIDE[/color] THE MIDLANDS CONQUER