Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

It's coming. In less than a week, Paradox Interactive's newest IP, Stellaris, will be launching from Earth. You all know Paradox as the developers of Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis. They've been focusing on historical fiction in the past, only publishing science fiction games, but that's about to change.

Stellaris is in-house developed, on their proprietary Clausewitz Engine, and will take you to the 23rd century. It's already set to be the most moddable title of their so far, and has been described as Crusader Kings meets Europa Universalis, with its own unique spin.

It's set to retail at €39.95, and will be launching on May 9.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#2 2 years ago

So, Stellaris is out now, and I've been playing it for a few hours. It's basically Europa Universalis meets Civilisation in space. And it's awesome

Spoiler: Show
1MkIZG2.jpg

This is from my current game. It's a custom faction, the Kelesh Union. A science directorate ruled by a physically weak, but intelligent and highly militarist race. As a result, science is what's valued highest in the union. It doesn't have a particularly strong navy(in fact, it's all but absent), but defensive measures are placed around planets of value.

My primary rival is the Vissari League. They're the first empire I stumbled across, and they're not happy with my colonies. The Zukakkem Principality and Athalid Cartel are two other major factions in my quadrant of the galaxy. Both of them hate my guts. The only ones somewhat warm are the Commonwealth of Yihim, who I've been working with for the past few years.

There aren't any other races in the Union yet; only Kelesh. Though the populace is supplemented by robot workers, which is especially useful on Grun Viskod, since it's so far from the homeworld.

EDIT: Shortly after writing this, the Commonwealth was absorbed by the Zukakkem, and I'm now allied with the Vissari. 

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,814 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#3 2 years ago

So this looks a little like Master of Orion 2? MoO2 was a great game, so great that I never really got to like any of its clones and remakes.

I think MoO2 had the perfect balance between complexity and accessability. Most of the remakes slap on lots and lots of complexity which makes the games feel more like homework.

Paradox is a good company though. Their Hearts of Iron series is impressive, I will probably check out part IV.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#4 2 years ago

MrFancypants So this looks a little like Master of Orion 2? MoO2 was a great game, so great that I never really got to like any of its clones and remakes.

I think MoO2 had the perfect balance between complexity and accessability. Most of the remakes slap on lots and lots of complexity which makes the games feel more like homework.

Paradox is a good company though. Their Hearts of Iron series is impressive, I will probably check out part IV.

Someone on Reddit put it perfectly; Stellaris is so engaging it makes Master of Orion 2 look like a mobile game. And I agree with that; this coming from someone who is a massive MoO 2 fan. 

There aren't any immediately complex mechanics, that I've found. You don't have a lot of menus, sub-menus, etc. They even did away with the ledger that is otherwise always present in Paradox games.

On a side note, I do love how it lets you zoom in close to the ships themselves: MumNcB6.jpg

Strazdas

Fresh Meat

50 XP

7th May 2016

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Has the Blorg found you yet?

Also did they fix the combat to not be oddly manoeuvred slugfest run by stacks of doom?

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I haven't encountered any doomstacks yet. 

And nope. I haven't encountered the Blorg. In fact, I'm way too busy trying to ensure my own independence against the Mormon Space Church :p

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

So how's the combat?

I only ask coz' when I play games like these I go full on "Hun" mode.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Lord Rumpuss V So how's the combat?

I only ask coz' when I play games like these I go full on "Hun" mode.

Combat is pretty. It's basically the same as the rest of PDS' titles. Roll the die, apply the modifiers. You can watch the combat in "real time" now, though, which makes for some rather pretty displays. You can certainly go full Spatilla the Space-Hun and just zerg everyone, should you wish, but you might find that to be unfeasible long-term. 

darkclone

116,900 XP

10th April 2006

0 Uploads

11,075 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I'm very tempted by this; could you draw comparisons to Sins of a Solar Empire? I loved that, I just would like a slower/longer version of it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#10 2 years ago
darkclone I'm very tempted by this; could you draw comparisons to Sins of a Solar Empire? I loved that, I just would like a slower/longer version of it.

Man, that's a tough one. In some ways, it's similar. You can zoom right in and see your ships battle up close. You have both a system view and a galactic view, as well as a representation of planets(with tiles). Generally, stations can only be built in orbit around planets, though there are some structures(defensive structures, such as defense platforms) that can be constructed anywhere in your system.

In fact, on that point, I would say the game allows for more strategy than Sins of a Solar Empire. You can add mods to your space stations in the Ship Designer interface. One of these allows you to pull out ships from FTL travel. That means if a ship is trying to warp directly to your core system, but happens to pass close by a system with that mod, it'll be redirected to that system. Great for ambushes.

... Honestly, I would suggest you watch one of the dev streams on it. I don't have enough hours with Sins to give an accurate comparison.