The Official E3 2016 Thread 7 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,360 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,459 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Well, as promised, we wrote some articles about E3 and stuff, they're on the home page.

We'll continue to post any news from the show floor this week, but we're going to start writing up some modding-focused articles in the wake of all the big announcements.

So, tell us, what did you like best or hate most from the E3 announcements made over this past few days?

We'll be doing a podcast soon, so let us know and we'll feature your thoughts. Probably. If we remember to do that.

Go.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

in short: not enough.

amd says rx480, 470 and 460 are the whole polaris lineup, but earlier they've claimed that the top polaris card will cost $299. since rx 490 will be a different model - and according to the above, vega - it leaves place for what i've speculated about earlier, rx480 x2, that is a single card with two rx 480 chips, for $299, beating gtx 1080. only time will tell, so far they didn't show anything really.

mass effect: andromeda - there's a thread about that one already. some new details surfaced (Asari are back!), but in the end - we still don't know much.

i think they're both holding back for a good reason and that both polaris cards and mass effect: andromeda will be great (i'll burn EA to the ground if that won't be the case). in case of polaris, we won't have to wait long. in case of mass effect: andromeda, well. i'm patient.

for me that's all that matters when it comes to this E3. actually, forget it. i'm certain that amd will beat the crap out of nvidia this time, so the only thing that matters for me is mass effect: andromeda. i couldn't care less about everything else.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

"unic0rn"in short: not enough.

amd says rx480, 470 and 460 are the whole polaris lineup, but earlier they've claimed that the top polaris card will cost $299. since rx 490 will be a different model - and according to the above, vega - it leaves place for what i've speculated about earlier, rx480 x2, that is a single card with two rx 480 chips, for $299, beating gtx 1080. only time will tell, so far they didn't show anything really.

mass effect: andromeda - there's a thread about that one already. some new details surfaced (Asari are back!), but in the end - we still don't know much.

i think they're both holding back for a good reason and that both polaris cards and mass effect: andromeda will be great (i'll burn EA to the ground if that won't be the case). in case of polaris, we won't have to wait long. in case of mass effect: andromeda, well. i'm patient.

for me that's all that matters when it comes to this E3. actually, forget it. i'm certain that amd will beat the crap out of nvidia this time, so the only thing that matters for me is mass effect: andromeda. i couldn't care less about everything else.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"unic0rn"in short: not enough.

So you think they are going to have two $199 GPUs on a single PCB for $299 that is going to beat the GTX 1080 when two of their $199 parts barely beat the GTX 1080?

unic0rn, I really want to know what planet you live (I highly suspect it's in the AMD Galaxy in the Fanboy sector) because it sounds like an amazing fantasy land.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

it only would need to barely beat the gtx 1080, because considering the price difference, it would be a success. it also depends on the amount of memory they would want to squeeze on such a card (8gb?), but $299 is realistic when you take into consideration that there's a - possibly not so small - margin, after all amd has to earn some cash, right? well, not in the top of the line case. they may release it mostly for public relations reasons, with smallest margin possible, just to slower the sales of gtx 1080 until vega comes out. they'll earn most on those cards that will sell in big numbers, and those are far cheaper models (like single rx480 and lower), so such move would be a strategic long play.

that, or it may be rx 470 x2 - designed to compete with gtx 1070 perhaps. $299 would be far more than enough in this case.

all i'm saying is, amd claimed that the price range for polaris cards will end at $299, and now they're saying that those three models presented are the whole lineup. either they're lying, or they mean lineup of chips, not the cards, and that suggests a card with two chips is the only option remaining. it's not like they didn't do it before.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#6 2 years ago

DKJhx9l.gif

On topic, the God of War presentation was epic. Between the hints dropped along the demo(what with Kratos gaining knowledge in skills he already should know), and the pre-existing rumour, it seems plausible that the kid will be the main character of the new God of War. I really hope they actually cast some Scandinavian voice actors. We don't need Michael McMichaelson as Generic Viking 4.

Ryojin

lolwut?

536,503 XP

8th November 2005

5 Uploads

52,632 Posts

406 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to E3. Too busy with school. Out of the stuff that I have seen, though, the most interesting stuff was Kojima's Death Stranding and God of War 4.

Death Stranding was interesting because I've always had interest in Kojima's works, and want to see how he does now that he isn't working for Konami. As for GoW4... Well, it caught my attention because it looked so different than every other GoW game I have played. It seemed interesting, but it could go very bad very easily.

Everything else was either not too interesting to me, or I simply haven't seen it yet.

Disclaimer: Personal opinions still not endorsed by Ryojin.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,726 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#8 2 years ago

I've only seen the articles you and the other editors wrote due to apathy and lack of time. Meh is my response so far. We'll see...