Steampoweredcat

Registered Loser

50 XP

12th July 2016

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#1 2 years ago

I read this in the news just now :( this sucks, I love pokemon and I really love pokemon go but this sort of thing is going to ruin it.

Found here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2016/07/14/two-fall-cliff-reportedly-playing-pokemon-go/87105884/

It seems every day theres something like this in the news. Why cant people use common sense when playing?! 

"When I die, I want to go in my sleep just like my Grandpa did. Not screaming like all the people on his plane."

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,988 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Well, that's pretty grim...

I'm quite fond of Darwinism though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Venturing under the dread light of the day-star brings many curses. That's why one should only do so at great need.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#4 2 years ago

They're not dead, so we can laugh at this.

But yeah, going outside can kill you. Whether you're absorbed in your phone or you get hit by a comet, life is dangerous, yo.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"Serio"They're not dead, so we can laugh at this.

Oh, good.

So....

Gotta catch a fall?

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,716 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Bicycles kill people too.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#7 2 years ago

I shit you not, this is a quote from an actual commentary on the game:

The map of your neighborhood you see when you play the game is a GPS map, something originally designed to help steer guided missiles. It’s the Google map, its deathly grey replaced by a virulent green that’s just as blanketing and all-consuming with or without some fluffy clouds in the upper screen. Buildings show up as blank, squat oblongs. This could be a skyscraper or a hovel, it makes no difference. The game casts its eye over the world from a military satellite far up in outer space, utterly indifferent to sensuous experience, utterly foreign to human life.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/07/pokemon-go-pokestops-game-situationist-play-children/

I miss my :lolpoint: emoticon :( and my :vikki: one :p

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"Nemmerle"I shit you not, this is a quote from an actual commentary on the game:

The map of your neighborhood you see when you play the game is a GPS map, something originally designed to help steer guided missiles. It’s the Google map, its deathly grey replaced by a virulent green that’s just as blanketing and all-consuming with or without some fluffy clouds in the upper screen. Buildings show up as blank, squat oblongs. This could be a skyscraper or a hovel, it makes no difference. The game casts its eye over the world from a military satellite far up in outer space, utterly indifferent to sensuous experience, utterly foreign to human life.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/07/pokemon-go-pokestops-game-situationist-play-children/

I miss my :lolpoint: emoticon :( and my :vikki: one :p

Interesting article. I feel that quote seems way exaggerated out of context though :p

I haven't played Pokemon go mainly because I just don't want to. I was never a huge fan of pokemon (I don't hate it, it just never really was an integral part of my childhood like it seems to be for many). I used to like Digimon way more, and even that ain't enough to be interested in the "Digimon vs Pokemon" meme culture.

Also, I don't like going out without mentally psyching for it and I know I'll neglect the game after short while if I'm forced to go outside and I don't like having my GPS on for too long so i'm not as easily tracked by the Rothchild NATO controlled government.

I don't really have anything against the people who play it either, except for people who do so while driving as that poses threat for more people than the player (tho I have strong feelings towards anyone who isn't a responsible driver), but I do think players should have a responsibility for their own safety.

Although I also feel that with a game like this, the developers should have a responsibility to not spawn pokemons (I don't know if it randomly generates them on terrain or how) in potentially deadly places. Like sure, in the end it's the players fault for not looking in front and stubling to their death for not minding surroundings, but I think it's pretty safe to assume, given the history of humanity, that some people won't stick to general safety principles for one reason or another. Else we could let car companies quit installing airbags and safety belts because it's drivers who have the responsibility to not crash into each other. At least that's how I see it, I don't care, eat a lizard.

Something I strongly agree with in the article is the danger of this game for people already at risk, specifically people of color. Specially considering the events of the past few weeks (Last I read, 5 black men were killed in the span of a few days).

The game is probably innocent and made for people to have fun, and I'm sure they do, but it seems like they didn't take human ingenuity and lack of common sense into account.

qjyUJrq.png

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#9 2 years ago
"Silberio"Interesting article. I feel that quote seems way exaggerated out of context though

The point is, in its bare essentials, that the game presents an interpretation of reality that is unresponsive to certain social realities and interpretations, and that the game's interpretation of reality is controlled by a company. Beyond that, it's bad writing stretched out for a page and the quote is an adequate display of the histrionics that characterise the piece.

As I thought while looking up at the stars; cold uncaring spots of light originally designed to guide nuclear missiles.

Emperor Benedictine

You can't fire me, I quit

55 XP

16th April 2005

0 Uploads

2,437 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago

I'm amazed there are so few reports in the media of people being hit by cars while playing this game compared to all this sensationally wacky and lurid stuff that seems like it would be astronomically less likely to occur.