Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Ubisoft aren't, by any definition, a popular company. But there's an even worse publisher currently trying to buy them; Vivendi. 

At yesterday's shareholder meeting, Ubisoft did manage to secure a small victory over Vivendi by getting both Gerard Guillemot and his brother Yves Guillemot re-elected. Interestingly, it was expected that Vivendi would try and place some of their representatives on the board, but they didn't show up. Instead, two new independent directors were elected. 

Ubisoft is struggling to stay independent. Just in this week alone, it spent €122.5 million to buy back 3.2% of its own shares. That's no small amount of money, not even for a multinational firm like Ubisoft.

Much as I spite Ubisoft for some of their business decisions, I recognise that they're a family company. The Guillemots founded them, and Yves is a fantastic public speaker. I don't expect Ubisoft to make a U turn and suddenly start producing amazing games right away, but they seem to have understood that their current model doesn't work. And Yves Guillemot seemed genuinely concerned for his company's future at E3.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Knowing relatively little about Vivendi it's hard to comment. I don't find being a family company to be any particular mark of virtue either way.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 2 years ago

For one, Vivendi isn't actually a gaming company; it's a general media company. We're talking the likes of Ziff Davis or Defy Media entering into gaming. They have no experience, or any real interest in actually helping foster creativity. Sure, Ubisoft may not be a bastion of creativity right now, but they're sure as hell still more interested in producing games that are worth a damn than Vivendi are.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Well, that's sort of the problem with a free market. If people don't vote with their money, or are uninformed about the consequences of their economic activity, it doesn't function very well. If Vivendi acquires the company and proves to be incompetent it'll just be a loss-leader. If they were talking about buying a company that had turned out good games in recent memory, it might be more a concern - but considering Assassin's Creed whatever number we're on now, I'm not sure that Ubisoft really qualifies on that front. I mean... I struggle to think what the last game I played they've had a creative input to was.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,478 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.  That's really about it.  Maybe Far Cry 2 and I only recently got the first AC.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Blacklist was actually really good, too. They actually recently announced that they're going to give their flagship franchises more development time and change things up, as the annual model wasn't good for them or the games.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,478 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Blacklist was certainly an improvement over the previous two.  I dare say I would actually count it amongst the best SC games.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,779 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,400 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

It could be worse. That buyer could have been EA.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#9 2 years ago

"Adrian Ţepeş"Blacklist was certainly an improvement over the previous two.  I dare say I would actually count it amongst the best SC games.[/quote] Absolutely. I'm one of the few people that didn't mind Conviction too much, but I'd definitely day from best to worst it goes Chaos Theory -> Blacklist -> Pandora Tomorrow -> Conviction -> Splinter Cell -> Double Agent.

[quote="Lindale"]It could be worse. That buyer could have been EA.

No, that... That would still be better, in my opinion :p