Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So this morning I was reflecting on some of my personality flaws. Recently, mistakes were made that I have been regretting a good deal, and that I have been continually wondering how to prevent from happening again in the future.

First, in my previous house, I payed all of the bills, and my roommates in turn paid me. I always sent the bill amount in an email, and they paid me through google wallet on their own time. While one roommate was great at paying on time, another roommate sometimes dragged his feet on it. I've got a decent money buffer, so it was no problem for me, and when he couldn't pay one month, he paid the next month. No problems for a year. But then the payments stopped coming in from this guy last June or July.  A couple months  passed before I noticed,  but I figured he would pay the next month. A smart person would have simply caught him in person and talked to him, but the semester got overwhelmingly busy, and the issue  sort of got forgotten. Last semester, I knew I had to  do something about it and around March or maybe April sent him a message. No response. I sent a few more messages in April or May but still no response.  We all had to move out of the house in May so I tried to catch him in person, but wasn't particularly determined to do so. I am an extremely non-confrontational person so whenever I had the opportunity to talk to him in person, I made an excuse to myself as to why now wasn't a good time to confront him. It wasn't until he was moving out that I  finally talked to him about it. He apologized and told me he was looking into the issue. Claimed that he had been paying and that his google wallet claimed to be sending the money to me, but wasn't. If he was telling the truth, it wasn't an issue on my end as I never had any issues receiving money from the other roommate. Again, my non-confrontational nature prevented me from doing what might have been the  smart thing and asking to see his transaction history as proof of his innocence. A couple months have passed and I have sent him another message a couple days ago but I fear that money will never see my pocket again. Total losses are $3000-3500. I'm not really sure if I can do anything about it. I suppose I could investigate into whether it's even possible for one person to send money through google wallet and another person to not receive it, for the sake of of knowing whether he is completely bullshitting me. My email address hasn't changed since he's been paying me, so he'd have to make a pretty dumb mistake to be sending it to the wrong person and not be able to figure that out in his "investigation into the issue". However, I don't think his lack of responsiveness is very telltale because he is an extremely passive person and I can see him not responding simply because he hasn't done anything  to solve the problem on his end, but doesn't want to tell me that.

The second mistake was my choice of a new house to stay in after moving out of my last one. I took a look at the house I'm currently staying in before deciding to move in. Saw the interior and one of the open rooms. What I didn't seem to notice, or what didn't register in my mind, was how filthy the house was. All of the warning signs were there, but I somehow failed to notice any of them. The overflowing trash can, the overwhelming smell of weed in the open room, the carpet in the kitchen (neither the carpet nor the counters had been cleaned in years), the stench  coming from the bathroom, the overflowing trash  can in the living room along with the dirty socks all over its floor. It isn't the worst house I've seen but it's still by-far the dirtiest house I've  seen. Oh, and as icing on the cake the  Internet speed here is unbelievably unreliable and maxes out at 5 Mbps, and the rent is almost twice that of my previous house. On the upside, it has much more space and is a decent house. It's just filthy dirty because roommates don't understand the concept of cleaning. But it wasn't until I signed the lease and started to move in that  I actually started to notice the problems. Not sure what part of the brain is failing here, but almost anyone could have  made a better decision than I did in this case. I had several other options, which I should have spent more time chasing. The thought process required to make a good decision just wasn't there for me. It's a year lease so I'll survive until I can move out or work something out with my roommates (probably won't happen), or get the landlord to tile the kitchen and maybe some of the living space. But still, it irks me every day I have to walk through the living area of the place.

So yeah, now you can feel better about yourselves for not making these mistakes. I am curious to know your opinions on the payment issues though, if you have any.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,015 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Get a lawyer, ask him about the legal aspects of the cost-sharing you did (contract etc.) and prospective costs of settling the case. Initial consultation may be free (depends on country). Have him send a letter to that dude requesting payment. What went wrong with his google wallet is not your problem.

You will still lose money, but the lawyer will at least take away the uncertainty. There is probably a fair chance of getting at least some money back (if you subtract fees).

And there is a chance that the problems will magically disappear as soon as that dude sees an official looking letter that threatens litigation - if he has money problems the last thing he needs is a lawsuit.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#3 1 year ago
"Superfluous Curmudgeon "
Spoiler: Show

So this morning I was reflecting on some of my personality flaws. Recently, mistakes were made that I have been regretting a good deal, and that I have been continually wondering how to prevent from happening again in the future.

First, in my previous house, I payed all of the bills, and my roommates in turn paid me. I always sent the bill amount in an email, and they paid me through google wallet on their own time. While one roommate was great at paying on time, another roommate sometimes dragged his feet on it. I've got a decent money buffer, so it was no problem for me, and when he couldn't pay one month, he paid the next month. No problems for a year. But then the payments stopped coming in from this guy last June or July.  A couple months  passed before I noticed,  but I figured he would pay the next month. A smart person would have simply caught him in person and talked to him, but the semester got overwhelmingly busy, and the issue  sort of got forgotten. Last semester, I knew I had to  do something about it and around March or maybe April sent him a message. No response. I sent a few more messages in April or May but still no response.  We all had to move out of the house in May so I tried to catch him in person, but wasn't particularly determined to do so. I am an extremely non-confrontational person so whenever I had the opportunity to talk to him in person, I made an excuse to myself as to why now wasn't a good time to confront him. It wasn't until he was moving out that I  finally talked to him about it. He apologized and told me he was looking into the issue. Claimed that he had been paying and that his google wallet claimed to be sending the money to me, but wasn't. If he was telling the truth, it wasn't an issue on my end as I never had any issues receiving money from the other roommate. Again, my non-confrontational nature prevented me from doing what might have been the  smart thing and asking to see his transaction history as proof of his innocence. A couple months have passed and I have sent him another message a couple days ago but I fear that money will never see my pocket again. Total losses are $3000-3500. I'm not really sure if I can do anything about it. I suppose I could investigate into whether it's even possible for one person to send money through google wallet and another person to not receive it, for the sake of of knowing whether he is completely bullshitting me. My email address hasn't changed since he's been paying me, so he'd have to make a pretty dumb mistake to be sending it to the wrong person and not be able to figure that out in his "investigation into the issue". However, I don't think his lack of responsiveness is very telltale because he is an extremely passive person and I can see him not responding simply because he hasn't done anything  to solve the problem on his end, but doesn't want to tell me that.

The second mistake was my choice of a new house to stay in after moving out of my last one. I took a look at the house I'm currently staying in before deciding to move in. Saw the interior and one of the open rooms. What I didn't seem to notice, or what didn't register in my mind, was how filthy the house was. All of the warning signs were there, but I somehow failed to notice any of them. The overflowing trash can, the overwhelming smell of weed in the open room, the carpet in the kitchen (neither the carpet nor the counters had been cleaned in years), the stench  coming from the bathroom, the overflowing trash  can in the living room along with the dirty socks all over its floor. It isn't the worst house I've seen but it's still by-far the dirtiest house I've  seen. Oh, and as icing on the cake the  Internet speed here is unbelievably unreliable and maxes out at 5 Mbps, and the rent is almost twice that of my previous house. On the upside, it has much more space and is a decent house. It's just filthy dirty because roommates don't understand the concept of cleaning. But it wasn't until I signed the lease and started to move in that  I actually started to notice the problems. Not sure what part of the brain is failing here, but almost anyone could have  made a better decision than I did in this case. I had several other options, which I should have spent more time chasing. The thought process required to make a good decision just wasn't there for me. It's a year lease so I'll survive until I can move out or work something out with my roommates (probably won't happen), or get the landlord to tile the kitchen and maybe some of the living space. But still, it irks me every day I have to walk through the living area of the place.

So yeah, now you can feel better about yourselves for not making these mistakes. I am curious to know your opinions on the payment issues though, if you have any.

Not sure if this is the right advice to part of your problems, but in the future, be anal about anything wrong with a place you are renting, even if it is the tiniest fucking spot. Tell the landlord to note it or fuck off because I know from everybody that I've heard about renting problems from that for the slightest thing, a landlord can make excuses to keep the security deposit and/or pin more charges onto you.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I would say always bring a second pair of eyes along. Four eyes is better than two, and you can bring someone who knows what to look for. Also, bitch at the landlord until they lower the rent on account of what a shithole they've sold you on.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,131 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#5 1 year ago

First of all, if you or your landlord never had a lawyer make a contract, there is no legally-binding agreement. In which case, you would lose said case by default, and all of whatever money said room mate never paid, because he was never legally-required to pay.

The simple fact is that your room mate is lying to you. There is no other way around it. And he is continuing to do so because he has gotten away with it this long, and knows he will continue to get away with it. He is intentionally being a leach, and you need to get rid of him.

1: Never live with deadbeats. If you do have any room mates, they need to have actual careers, not part-time cashiering at the mall, an actual career with an actual future. You need to make sure you are living with someone who will eventually move on to bigger and better things, instead of being a bum at the same place in life for 20-30 years. The same thing applies to life in general. If you are the smartest and hardest-working of all your friends, you need new friends.

2: If you have any room mates, their names need to be on the lease agreement. That way, they are legally required to pay rent and utilities. If they fail to pay, they will be evicted. Simple as that.

3: In addition, they will no longer be allowed to use Google Wallet, or PayPal, which are not a valid form of payment, due to not being trustworthy (as you learned the hard way). They will need to use an actual bank account, and the landlord will require them to have a paper trail to prove the money came legitimately, (as in not selling drugs, or being a burgler).

4: If the landlord never does make you have a paper trail to prove the money came legitimately, that means the landlord is not running a legitimate business, and you need to get out of there as soon as possible. Think of it as a business that only accepts cash. Cash cannot be tracked, which means they can hide it instead of declaring it as income, which means no taxes. I should not need to tell you how illegal this is.

5: If you buy a new house or flat, make sure you ALWAYS take a tour beforehand, the same as test driving every car before you buy it. And make you also have a checklist of everything you need, and everything you want. If the place has everything you need, and most of what you want, it is probably a good place. If not, don't sign any lease agreements.

6: When you take these tours, always bring someone who knows what to look for, both the positive and the negative. Each tiny problem WILL lower the property value, and you need to make sure that lower property value also lowers the rent amount.

7: For that matter, anything at all that is wrong with the house or flat is the landlord's responsibility. Until you sign that lease agreement. the landlord is legally-required to repair and replace anything and everything. And before you do sign that lease agreement, make sure you read EVERY word, and make sure it specifically states the landlord is still required to pay for said repairs and replacements, because those problems already existed before you moved in.

8: And then, make sure the lease agreement also specifically states the landlord will make those repairs and replacements before you move in. If the place is not in liveable condition by the agreed-upon date for you to move in, don't move in. No tenant means no rent, which means no financial income, which will motivate most anyone to hurry. Even then, bring in an inspector to make sure everything meets or exceeds city code requirements.

9: Always look at several houses or flats before you decide on exactly which one. One that is perfect right now, and ready for you to move in right now, that will always beat a fixer-upper.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Did I just become the shittiest meme of all time?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,131 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Yes. You did.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#8 1 year ago
"Lindale"Yes. You did.

Well, fuck.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Well, it wasn't my intention. But it was the only thread name I could think of. :/

In regards to the suggestions, they are mostly common-sense, which I seem to be quite lacking in. So, the solution in the future is probably to bring someone who does have common sense to give me an opinion.