Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,725 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I played a bit during my mid teens, but never really got into it. Partly because of lack of people to play it with (and lack of social initiative), and partly because of lack of funds.  But this last semester I started playing regularly with about 5-10 people and purchased about $500 worth of guns n' gear (much more than I need, but a good investment for a competitive loadout). Also have been to one 100-person game. It's fantastic fun - a combination of hide and seek with strategic thinking and practical skills, all while getting some exercise and sunlight. It also is a tinkerer's sport. Modifications both custom and off-the-shelf can keep you occupied for a great deal of time. In my relatively  small amount of experience, it's done me a great deal of good, so I was wondering if anyone else has played much if at all.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to. The relatively high cost is keeping me from trying it out, but I think it would be a fun way of getting some exercise. I played lasertag recently and while I didn't like it very much technology wise (not a whole lot of feedback) it did keep me on the move for a few hours.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Historically, I've been known to. Not for quite a while though. Even had a UKARA registration, but that's lapsed now.

We've got an over-abundance of airsoft sites in the UK, covering every scenario and ruleset. You've got the guys who just throw on armour and play a team deathmatch, then you've got sites that host full military operations straight out of Ghost Recon. I really stuck to the more casual urban/CQC sites when I played.

"MrFancypants"Haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to. The relatively high cost is keeping me from trying it out, but I think it would be a fun way of getting some exercise. I played lasertag recently and while I didn't like it very much technology wise (not a whole lot of feedback) it did keep me on the move for a few hours.

Prices start mounting when you start collecting your own armoury, and going for the full gear. Walk-on and hire costs actually aren't that expensive at the less 'hardcore' sites. Certainly cheaper than most other activity days.

It really is a good workout, though.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I did so heavily before the UK went overboard on their legislation, which I strongly disagreed with. My friend and I were part of a local club, and we really enjoyed it. Like paintball, but more realistic and the honor principle set apart the decent players from the sore losers.

Thanks to the standard procedures of reactionary politics in the UK, however, I now have a wardrobe that contains "realistic imitation firearms", apparently. Can't sell them, can't remove them from my home to take to a skip, can't throw them out into the garbage... have to wait until the next "firearms amnesty". For something that fires plastic pellets.

Seriously, they'll ban kitchen knives in this country next. 

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,725 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

"Mr. Matt"I did so heavily before the UK went overboard on their legislation, which I strongly disagreed with. My friend and I were part of a local club, and we really enjoyed it. Like paintball, but more realistic and the honor principle set apart the decent players from the sore losers.

Thanks to the standard procedures of reactionary politics in the UK, however, I now have a wardrobe that contains "realistic imitation firearms", apparently. Can't sell them, can't remove them from my home to take to a skip, can't throw them out into the garbage... have to wait until the next "firearms amnesty". For something that fires plastic pellets.

Seriously, they'll ban kitchen knives in this country next. 

Of course. Much more important that your chances of dying from a heart attack instead of being shot be increased by 1 in a million, at the possible cost of a bit more of  your humanity.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,602 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,730 Posts

2 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"Mr. Matt"Can't sell them, can't remove them from my home to take to a skip, can't throw them out into the garbage... have to wait until the next "firearms amnesty". For something that fires plastic pellets.

That local club happen to be UKARA-licensed? As long as they're transported in a secure case, taking them to a UKARA site to turn in shouldn't pose any problems.

Alternately, if you remember how to maintain them, strip them down and take out the internals. Keep the parts that are in good nick, flog 'em on eBay as spares. No one ever went down for selling batteries and springs.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"Mikouen"
"Mr. Matt"Can't sell them, can't remove them from my home to take to a skip, can't throw them out into the garbage... have to wait until the next "firearms amnesty". For something that fires plastic pellets.

That local club happen to be UKARA-licensed? As long as they're transported in a secure case, taking them to a UKARA site to turn in shouldn't pose any problems.

Alternately, if you remember how to maintain them, strip them down and take out the internals. Keep the parts that are in good nick, flog 'em on eBay as spares. No one ever went down for selling batteries and springs.

I honestly don't know.  I think I'll hold on to them for now though. Either for a death-by-cop scenario, or my grand descent into madness when I believe I'm part of the Stargate Programme (one of them is a P90).