Apple patent the paper bag... 7 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,315 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Not really tech news is it, cause, well, it's a paper bag.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/apple-patent-recycled-paper-bag

Not entirely sure they should be granted this patent, even if they did use some special kind of glue or whatever it is they claimed they have done...

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,130 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Great. Now I have another to never buy, simply because it has the Apple logo.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,402 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#3 2 years ago

This doesn't surprise me at all.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 2 years ago

No fucking way that can hold up in court. Is it just the "unique solution" that they patented or the concept itself?

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,925 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,881 Posts

218 Threads

#5 2 years ago
Sadly the patent application makes no mention of a headphone jack.

:(

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,315 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Serio"No fucking way that can hold up in court. Is it just the "unique solution" that they patented or the concept itself?

I'm not sure it would be a court matter, I can see this patent being contested and probably not approved. They've only filed for it so far I believe.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#7 2 years ago

... Patent laws are weird.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 2 years ago

It would make sense if it's a unique and expesive design such as some unique glue that costed them a fair bit of money.  A standard paperbag design which not much or anything special about it should not be patentable. And even if it is a whole new invention but at little costs, it would be better not to patent it unless your company is a capitalist bunch of cunts that try to suck people for every dollar or euro they are worth... Oh it's apple.

Reminds me of patents on vegetables and fruits. In Europe (EU) and NL especially it is or atleast was normal for farmers to grow fruits, vegetables, flower bulbs etc.  by mixing certain combinations to get a better product with a certain desired feature. Others would be allowed to use these if combined with something they themselves came up with. So no outright copying and thus profiting of work that one farmer may have spended lots of time on, but no harm in taking previous knowledge/species and improving it further. That way year by year products became better and better.  But now thanks to companies like Monsato patenting has arrived in the EU. This may bring the whole system of working together in a fair manner to an end. But sadly the EU court ruled that Monsato is allowed to patent vegatables etc. €€€€€  

FU capitalist money hungry pigs. 

Edit: quick google of and grabbed the top result that surfaced  without checking for bias (which perhaps I should as it's not a site to a well known and respect newspaper): http://no-patents-on-seeds.org/en/information/news/european-patent-office-upholds-patents-broccoli-and-tomato

European Patent Office upholds patents on broccoli and tomato Patents on plants and animals derived from conventional breeding can also be granted in future Munich 27 March, 2015

The Enlarged Board of Appeal of the European Patent Office (EPO) has decided on the precedent cases of broccoli and tomato (G2 / 12 and G2 /13). The EPO made clear that while processes for crossing and selection cannot be patented, plants and animals stemming from these processes are still patentable. This illogical decision was a long awaited outcome of a precedent case on the patentability of plants and animals derived from conventional breeding. The coalition No Patents on Seeds!  has heavily criticised this decision. The organisations are warning about the increasing monopolisation of breeding of plants and animals needed for food production.