Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Having just recently devoted some time to the study of American architecture, I have a greater respect for the art and craft itself.  American architecture is, by and large, the derivative of already-existing plans for buildings in Italy, France, and Europe-at-large.  Nowadays, in America, it might be difficult to point to a building that makes you stand in awe of the genius that spawned its existence.  For me, however, I tend to think that we have accomplished something special in how we design our libraries.  Libraries have always been a special place for me as they contained a vast world of limitless opportunity to learn and to know new things.  So it is for this reason I've chosen a few of my favorite libraries:

Spoiler: Show
2008-08-05_14.12.28.jpg

I'm only posting one for now as I'm tired, but I hope you'll notice some of the important features of this library.  This is the library at one of the colleges I attended a while ago and obviously has a lot of windows.  The benefit of this design is that, largely due to the interior decoration, the students have a comfortable place to sit and study while also having a great view of the rest of the campus, a sample of which is shown here:

5425947_orig.jpg

So yeah, post any special bits of architecture that you've always enjoyed, be they personal or something you've seen in a book or other piece of literature.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Well, I just looo-ooooove art deco.

1024px-Battersea_Power_Station,_London-22May2010.jpg

Damn, girl, you so fine.

art-deco-architecture-new-york-city-chrysler-building-2.jpg

Hot.

I think what I love most of all is the dimensions of a lot of the stylised statues you see adorning some of the more prominent pieces.

4880492042_9362f181a6.jpg

That last one's the Hoover Dam memorial. Or something near it.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Not a particularly controversial choice. However, Frank Lloyd Wright did some nice stuff. Fallingwater is the most obvious of the nice ones.

th5pPID.jpg

Taliesin was also a very pretty building:

Taliesin600.jpg

All of which said, I think some of the spaces he created inside buildings were better than their external appearance:

tx64bJf.png

Every time I see a lump of concrete dumped in the middle of somewhere people have to live or work, I want to grab them and say 'Look at that you fuckers. Just sit there and look at it for a while until it sinks in and you stop making the world ugly.' Architecture's coming dangerously close to being an expression of the sole of the nation - i.e. money - and that's fine if your building is occupied by bank notes but not so much if people have to spend time there. ¬_¬

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Same thing happened at the store I went for initial job training: the whole placed used the same black and white tiling they used in the meat locker.  It made you feel like you were in an abattoir and just all-around depressing.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Gothic cathedrals have always gotten my fancy. Best scam ever to be pulled off IMHO.