I couldn't believe it when my brother showed me this recipe....but it was so damn excellent!
You can find all sorts of recipes for the chicken online, but most of them are for the grill. We followed the one from Antivegan.de, and since it's in german, here's my version:
- A chicken. Try to get a corn-fed or some other good chicken. It won't work if the chicken is too small. - Spices (we used something called "Fried chicken salt"....basically a spice that was made for making fried chicken) - Olive oil - Your favourite beer. (I took my local favourite, Reissdorf Kölsch, a light beer. Haven't tried the recipe with dark beer yet.)
Now you can take a canned beer, however my brother and I took a preserving glass and filled it with some extra spices.
so, optionally: - Two cloves of garlic - Apple - Fresh herbs (we used thyme) - Onions
1. Stab the chicken all around with a fork. Puncturing the skin will ensure that it will be extremely crispy. Do this all around.
2. Rub the chicken with the olive oil until it is nicely oiled.
3. Throw the chicken spices on the outside. It should look something like this:
Look at it just chilling in the dish.
Now for the fun part.
4. Fist the chicken. This will ensure that the vapour will circulate nicely in the oven and prepare it for insertion.
5a. Pour yourself some beer from the can and shove the can up the chicken's butt, standing it upright. Proceed to step 6.
5b. Take your preserving glass (not even sure if it's the right word....basically a long jar that's not very broad.). Crush the garlic slightly, throw in the herbs, dice the apple and throw some cubes in as well. Cut onions, throw them in and fill the jar with beer. Insert glass rectally into the chicken, making it stand:
6. Heat the oven to 180°C, circulating air.
7. Keep checking the chicken, and occasionally take it out, pour some of the juices that run down over it and trickle some beer over it.
After about an hour you've got a crispy chicken that's tender and moist on the inside.
Jeff is a mean boss
28th July 2002
we do that with cans of bud.......
i guess its more popular in america, we've done it several times
Really? I'd never heard of it before. I'm going to be intorducing some people to it here :)
That is not something I wanted to see you do.
Sounds good though
I didnt get beyond fisting the chicken.
DavetheFoI didnt get beyond fisting the chicken.
I hear ya LOL :lol: It does look good...but I think I would ask someone else to fist the chicken! *still laughing my as off*
Ex-MøđęRāŧǿr ø₣ Geňęrāł Gāmíňĝ
31st January 2004
woah, woah..... you want me to put my fist up the chickens where?!? :eek:
I might try it some day though, it sounds pretty cool.
Cooking beef with some beer (ale works best) is pretty damn good tastin' too. Goes geat with toasted French bread.
It's even better with German bier, Mr. Stalker.
Looks good. I will try it this summer. Don't forget to tell people to WASH their hands with soap after handling a chicken like that! Always wash up after a good fisting;)
Wanna go Double Dutch?
9th December 2003
Never heard of it before but it sounds delicious! Perhaps I should invite you over to a Dutch meet & greet party so you can fist our chickens (that did sound very wrong not?)?
Now you made my hungry. :(