MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So it seems that thanks to the virus breeding chamber that are daycare facilities I have contracted a stomach bug. Good timing, as I had a presentation with important people today. Luckily I managed not to barf all over them, the barfing started later.

So after feeling miserable for a while I decided to consult the internet to see what helps. As a kid the trusty solution was Cola with salt sticks, but apparently that is bad for you according to science. Instead they suggested to compensate the loss of water and minerals. So I ate a banana (kalium) and drank water with a bit of salt dissolved in it. Only to find out that the internet hates me. Puking banana out of your nostrils is an unusual experience that I don't want to repeat any time soon.

What remedies do you use?

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,650 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,732 Posts

2 Threads

#2 1 year ago

A gun and a single bullet.

Alternately a fuckload of whatever lemsip-like things you can get your hands on. Honey is good, citrus juice also very good. Pour a 440ml glass of water halfway between warm and hot, mix lemon juice (about a 4:2 ratio) and stir in honey. Have one of those every hour or so.

Apples chopped into compact little cubes are a good flu-diet staple. I mean, I've thrown up all kinds of shit while sick, but never apples. So keep some around.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Yeah, don't drink salt water. If you need salt, eat some crackers. Maybe throw some toasted bread down, and go with whatever drink you desire. It's more important that you don't dehydrate than it is to "warm up" in my experience.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Lemsip? That taste of ear wax, and is the best way to induce vomiting. Seriously, it is better than epicac.

But back on topic, I suggest lots of soup, and lots of sleep. Find your most comfortable recliner, put Star Trek on the telly, and vegetate for a few days.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the tips. By today I can eat again, so that's a plus. Also watched some Star Trek episodes (Deep Space 9) as distraction.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#6 1 year ago
"MrFancypants"What remedies do you use?

I never really get that sick. Sorry... maybe I can sell you an immune system? :p

Seriously though, there are anti-nausea meds available over the counter - I take some for my migraines from time to time. Though part of me says like, hey, 'Better out than in!' Drink plenty of fluid to avoid dehydration - take some multivitamins, they make effervescent kinds that are alright on the taste front. Drink some coffee, gets yourself plenty of hankies. Huddle up in doors so you don't infect anyone else - and also for comfort. Sleep lots.

Oh, and try to eat something - even if it's just soup. If you think throwing up is bad try dry-heaves. That shit hurts.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"Nemmerle"I never really get that sick.

You suck.  Pretty much whenever I get a cold it usually a) comes from a co-worker and b) means I'm so wiped out I can't do much more than lay in bed and stare at the ceiling.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#8 1 year ago

I don't get sick very often either. Or at least I used not to get sick. Kids change that. They breed some strong versions of normal diseases and collect a bunch of unusual ones. And because they drool and snot all over the toys and each other at the daycare infection of the whole gang is guaranteed. I used to be surprised at the average days of sick-leave for an employee, but if you factor kids in the numbers seem reasonable.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Maybe that all depends on their playing environment.

In my case, I ran wild. I was what would be described today as a feral child. I rode motorbikes. I sweated. I explored abandoned buildings. I played in mud. I ate directly off the plants in Mother's garden, which I learned last week that garden was fertalized by horse poo. And I never washed my hands.

Basically, I was Pig-Pen. (Yes. I just dated myself.)

I credit that as to why I never get sick.

Today, you are EXPECTED to raise your children in a sterile cleanroom. If you even suggest your children doing what I did as a child, Child Protective Services will come visit you.

As a result, children are never exposed to germs in the real world. So they catch every bug that goes around the school.

The bottom line is this. If you want a healthy family, don't buy into this sterile lifestyle society expects you to provide. Get your children out into the real world.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#10 1 year ago
"Adrian Ţepeş"

"Nemmerle"I never really get that sick.[/quote]

You suck.  Pretty much whenever I get a cold it usually a) comes from a co-worker and b) means I'm so wiped out I can't do much more than lay in bed and stare at the ceiling.

Well, I'm shopping for a sense of hope and purpose, mine seems to be worn out. Maybe we could set up a trade? :p

[quote="Lindale"]I credit that as to why I never get sick.

Ditto. I wasn't excessively clean or excessively dirty, but we went out and played around in the mud, we didn't use any of this super-sterile soap and shit that's banging around nowadays. Don't know whether it's true or not, but I suspect that's responsible for not being sniffly and weak. ^_^