random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

And what is it supposed to mean exactly?

I was under the impression that this letter was supposed to explain to me what's wrong but I can't say I'm surprised with the 'explanation'.

Spoiler: Show

Dear person:

Your credentials and application for admission to the Nuclear Engineering, Master of Science program at The Ohio State University for the autumn 2017 semester have been given careful consideration by the Graduate Studies Committee. I regret to inform you that the committee did not approve your application.

The committee's decision was reached after careful evaluation of your qualifications in comparison with those of other applicants and is in no way intended to reflect upon your ability to undertake study as a graduate student. Your interest in the Graduate School at Ohio State is sincerely appreciated. On behalf of the Graduate Studies Committee, I wish you the best of success in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Admissions person Executive Director - Graduate and Professional Admissions and Intake

GD1

I have a few ideas about what it is supposed to mean but I'd like to hear the opinions you guys have.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,124 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#2 1 year ago

It means you got a canned answer.

That is one thing that annoys me. You go though the trouble of doing something, and all they do is figure out which can fits you best. They open that can, and mail you the contents.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#3 1 year ago

"Lindale"It means you got a canned answer.

That is one thing that annoys me. You go though the trouble of doing something, and all they do is figure out which can fits you best. They open that can, and mail you the contents.

I know. I just wish they'd stop wasting everybody's time with all these theatrics. I saw I was denied admission on the application status page and the idea from there was that I'd get a marginally more informative email.

Oh gee you university guys are so sorry. Like anyone gives a shit, least of all the admissions committee. I get that you guys are going to pick the best candidates. How does that email say anything different or notable enough give me any other ideas? A simple email with a yes or no would have gotten the job done if the end result now is what they wanted.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#4 1 year ago

They can't do that. It has to be done diplomatically - they're an academic institution, and certain standards are expected of them. 

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#5 1 year ago

My main problem is that they could not tell me why they did not consider me which was the hint given to me on the application status page. Is there something that can be improved upon? Can I do it?

It could still be shorter too, even if it had to be diplomatic. At least the middle paragraph could go. It is redundant and adds nothing new.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,010 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Better get used to it, these letters are the norm for all sorts of applications and it beats getting no answer (which happens).

The reason they don't give an explanation is that it would open them up to lawsuits. But if you understand the selection criteria well you can probably guess what the main issues are.

Sucks, but pointless to worry about it.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#7 1 year ago

"MrFancypants"Better get used to it, these letters are the norm for all sorts of applications and it beats getting no answer (which happens).

The reason they don't give an explanation is that it would open them up to lawsuits. But if you understand the selection criteria well you can probably guess what the main issues are.

Sucks, but pointless to worry about it.

Again, I just wish I knew what was wrong. I don't care otherwise.

Though, what kind of laws are being enforced that I could take them to court over them thinking that some other candidate has better grades or experience? I don't hold any grudges against them for that and it'd be stupid for me to take away a career from somebody else who is better suited, assuming there are no corrupt practices like nepotism, which is what I assume somebody throwing a lawsuit at them would cry.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#8 1 year ago

I wouldn't assume anything is wrong. The explanation is likely much simpler: the school has received thousands of applications, but could only accept a handful  of students. Your application didn't present your credentials in a way that made you look like you're high enough up the ladder to get accepted. This article may answer your question a bit better: clicky Apply lots and you'll likely get accepted eventually, though you may be almost out of time for deadlines...

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#9 1 year ago

I applied to 10 colleges and used at least $1000 or more (international student fees and other expenditures). I don't know how much effort it really takes but that there is already a lot.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,296 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#10 1 year ago
Are these just the costs of making an application? It's very expensive? Almost seems like it's more profitable for them to reject people?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com