random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Curious since having an online account and performing online transactions with said account always seemed taboo to me with cybercrime and all.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Debit cards, paypal or credit card. The risk is very small as long as you make sure that the account info are only transmitted to legit companies. There is some risk on platforms that allow you to trade with indvidiauls, but even then scams are more of an annoyance as you get the money back.

Most payment methods offer additional security such as sending codes to your cell phone every time you use them.

At least that is the situation in Germany. Your mileage may vary.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 2 years ago

A debit card, a paypal account and a good bank. Oh, and an ounce of common sense.

Really, that's all. My bank knows my usage patterns. If someone tries to draw a large amount of money, they alert me. If they try to draw multiple, smaller amounts, I'll notice right away. Honestly, I imagine my bank has usage alerts, so I could probably enable those too.

As long as you don't go throwing your bank details to every Western Union backed website, you'll be fine.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

"MrFancypants"Debit cards, paypal or credit card. The risk is very small as long as you make sure that the account info are only transmitted to legit companies. There is some risk on platforms that allow you to trade with indvidiauls, but even then scams are more of an annoyance as you get the money back.

Most payment methods offer additional security such as sending codes to your cell phone every time you use them.

At least that is the situation in Germany. Your mileage may vary.[/quote]

Tell me more about how the debit card system works. Assuming it works the same way it does when I'm buying groceries from the local chain of grocery stores, I think this would be the method I would be most comfortable with.

Also since you say risk is greater with individuals, I guess there would not be much of a problem with using a service like Steam. I'm considering it for the more obscure titles and/or the ones that don't get a physical release.

Finally, the codes sent to your cell, do you mean like a One Time Password?

[quote="Serio"]A debit card, a paypal account and a good bank. Oh, and an ounce of common sense.

Really, that's all. My bank knows my usage patterns. If someone tries to draw a large amount of money, they alert me. If they try to draw multiple, smaller amounts, I'll notice right away. Honestly, I imagine my bank has usage alerts, so I could probably enable those too.

As long as you don't go throwing your bank details to every Western Union backed website, you'll be fine.

I don't understand what you mean when you say 'Western Union backed'.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"random_soldier1337" I don't understand what you mean when you say 'Western Union backed'.

Western Union is a financial service most commonly used by scammers, since it has basically no oversight whatsoever.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Debit card, common sense, a limited withdrawal account, more money in the savings account than the active one, and you need this and the card to do anything really worrisome with the account:

qSM4oaQ.jpg

Which requires you to physically enter the code that the bank gives you into the device with the card inserted in order to obtain a response code.

No such thing as perfect security, but it's reasonable enough.

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

All of the above. While nothing's really secure, the convenience of it all eventually wore me down. As for having my details stolen or blowing all my money, I don't care about that in the same way that I don't care about employment, exercise, diet, family or life.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Most hackers aim for the mainstream shop sites. The best thing you can do is order directly from the manufacturer, if possible. Not only is there a much less rick of hackers, but you are also giving the manufacturer 100% of the money. (Shops take a percentage for selling products.)

For example, I was looking for a high-output pickup to put in my new guitar. After a lot of comparison, I decided on a Lace Alumitone. If I ordered from Musician's Friend, they would have gotten a percentage of the money. Instead, I ordered that directly from Lace, so I know where the money is going.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I use my debit card for online purchases. Sticking to known websites if possible. In the Netherlands we have a system called iDeal, all banks are part of it this allows you to go from the online shop to the webpage of your own bank, loging into your own account to make a payment. My bank uses a tool much like Nemm showed. So I see an nice item in the webshop, proceed to check out, get directed to my own bank's website, login with my debitcard and this tool (requiring my PIN code to be typed into this hand held device) and then confirming the amount of euro's and beneficiary.  I confirm al is okay, proceed with the payement and done.  

And ofcourse using some common sense. Together they go a long way. Changes of your currents account being hacked are rather slim, and would most likely be due to a thief stealing your debit card fro your wallet.