Totes

Misanthrope

92,890 XP

7th January 2011

0 Uploads

8,664 Posts

0 Threads

#1 6 years ago

If you have the time, please watch this video.

The lengths this man has gone to are astounding. This is what humanity should be. I've...never quite felt the way I felt after watching this video. It just proves that there is still good in this world.

Please, share this video. Shout it out, make it known. It's what I plan on doing. We can make a difference.

Join the cause.

Stop Kony.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#2 6 years ago

I was just going to make this thread. For the opposite reason.

Here's a short post that articulates most of my points as written by some uni bloke We got trouble. - Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

In short, it's bollocks, and those who support it have either not researched the company, Uganda, Sudan, Kony, or politics properly. This campaign treats it as a 1 dimensional issue, and pretends that publicity will help fix Sudan and similar countries.

It won't. It just won't. The situation is horribly complex, and it will likely take years of intelligence work to even figure out a way to start fixing things properly.

Sheeple like things like this though. It gives them a sense of importance, that they can make a difference, and that they're helping people. Take a look at the company's finances, and you'll see you're not. Research Kony and his group, and you'll see you're not. Learn about Uganda and the neighboring countries, and you'll see you're not.

EDIT: If you support it, I'm not calling you a sheep. If you refuse to do in depth research and support it, then yes, I'm calling you a sheep, and far worse things.

Totes

Misanthrope

92,890 XP

7th January 2011

0 Uploads

8,664 Posts

0 Threads

#3 6 years ago

So what Kony is doing is okay to you then?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 6 years ago

Did I stutter? No where in my post did I say that.

Schofield VIP Member

om :A

319,554 XP

24th October 2007

1 Uploads

30,539 Posts

0 Threads

#5 6 years ago

I wonder what would have taken priority if this Kony 2012 campaign and the Stop ACTA/SOPA if they had occurred at the same time. My guess would be the latter.

I think it's far more important that western nations focus on rebuilding Africa, the west (mainly Europe) are largely responsible for fucking the continent up to begin with.

Anyway, Obankobi the goal of KONY 2012 isn't to fix these nations in a heart beat, there is a reason it is called KONY 2012 and not AFRICA 2012. Taking down these warlords and tyrants won't fix all the issues we face today (as seen with Bin Laden's demise), but they do change the lives of many people who have been victims of horrific crimes. And while I do agree that the foundation isn't as admirable and pure of heart as it seems, at least it is doing something that most people don't care to think about today.

Invisible Children apparently manipulates facts for strategic purposes. So? Guess who also did that: Al Gore, and while he was a bit of an extremist about it he DID raise a lot of awareness about the issue he was passionate about. We are manipulated by things on a daily basis, it's how shit gets done.

We would have no world leaders (good or bad) with manipulation, we wouldn't have a lot of things we take for granted.

Point is, Kony 2012 campaign isn't trying to instantly fix the problems of the world, it's merely bringing justice to one bad person as a time.

Red Menace

SCHOFIELD DID 4/30

415,758 XP

10th August 2004

0 Uploads

40,364 Posts

1 Threads

#6 6 years ago
Totes;5618920So what Kony is doing is okay to you then?

Naturally that is his argument if he thinks Invisible Children is a questionable charity where very little of your donation (31%) actually goes to catching Joesph Kony and his ilk. Also, by "goes" I mean funding the Ugandan government's army, which doesn't have the cleanest record of its own.

I'm glad they are raising awareness about Joesph Kony and the LRA, though. They're monsters and they've been monsters for 26 years.

sigpic82523_3.gif</div></body></html>

Caprica-Six

Toaster

50 XP

24th August 2010

0 Uploads

339 Posts

0 Threads

#7 6 years ago

I think the consensus between myself and Obankobi is that Yes Kony is a terrible man who should be stopped, but also that Invisible Children is a ethically unsound organisation that financially supports the African Militants who rape and loot as much as Kony does.

Schofield VIP Member

om :A

319,554 XP

24th October 2007

1 Uploads

30,539 Posts

0 Threads

#8 6 years ago
Caprica-Six;5618939I think the consensus between myself and Obankobi is that Yes Kony is a terrible man who should be stopped, but also that Invisible Children is a ethically unsound organisation that financially supports the African Militants who rape and loot as much as Kony does.

Understandable. But foreign aid does the exact same thing, so should we stop foreign aid? The only difference is Invisible Children is about justice and foreign aid is to make countries like us (I honestly don't think foreign aid is about rebuilding a country). That's why foreign aid doesn't work, we have to spread it out amongst countries instead of focusing on one at a time - that way they all like us.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 6 years ago

Now now, don't put words into people's mouths, which seems to be the single move of the pro-kony2012'ers. Foreign aid is an entirely different subject.

D3matt

I take what n0e says way too seriously

87 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,553 Posts

1 Threads

#10 6 years ago

The whole "OMG UGANDA'S ARMY IS BAD PEOPLE!" argument is hugely overblown. I could spend all day googling about things American soldiers have done, I'm sure.

Further, you're entirely missing the point. The point is to spread awareness, and prove that people CAN have a say in what their government does, people CAN make a difference, that social media CAN be a tool for a global community and global change. Even if IC is completely corrupt liars and not a dime goes to this cause, it gets people thinking, and that's a good thing no matter who you are.