Lynx being re-introduced to the UK 19 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,071 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,450 Posts

1,695 Threads

#1 2 years ago

No, not that Lynx, this one;

_90057308_lynxcubbynevillebuck.jpg

After 1,300 years absence, the plan is to reintroduce them initially in the Scottish Borders and Northumberland. 

Farmers are, rightly or wrongly, concerned about it however. They are potentially a threat to livestock and other wildlife. I also wonder weather we should be meddling with the ecosystem like this; while it may be the cause of man that cause them to become extinct in this country, we're just as likely to cause equally devastating effects to the current balance of nature in the area, are we not?

I watched a documentary about Yellowstone Park not so long ago, and there was something in it about the effect that re-introducing an animal had; it killed another animal which meant that such a plant was allowed to grow which prevented another animal from getting the food it needs, or something like that.

Anyway, the point is, there can be effects nobody can predict as the chain of nature is not as simple as it may seem on the surface.

Any thoughts about this?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,071 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,450 Posts

1,695 Threads

#2 2 years ago

vcgfgfg

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,219 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,112 Posts

1,329 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Well, all those other times we've introduced (or reintroduced) a species to an area have gone so well.*

*No they haven't.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,725 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#4 2 years ago

But it's SOOO CUUUTE! How could you not want to see these guys running around all over?

Barbas

Hound dog

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

440 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I say do it. Then reintroduce wolves, then bears. Let's see how many idle parents let their fucking kids run about the place then.

Calvin%2B%2526%2BHobbes%2Bsnow%2Bforts.jpg

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Hmm, giant murder floofs introduced into a civilian population with all the survival instincts of a spastic penguin. This can only go well.

Silberio VIP Member

Bourée

392,744 XP

9th October 2007

0 Uploads

37,216 Posts

2 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Didn't they try to reintroduce wolves in the  UK not long ago?  How'd that work out? (Genuinely asking, not sarcasm)

Anyhow, I say yes to this because they're cute.

qjyUJrq.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#8 2 years ago

I think the UK just needs to stop making decisions. You kill the economy. You kill the democracy. You kill the climate ministry. Now you want to kill your own population by introducing murder-cats.

(Though lynxes are <3)

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I sense a plot to kill of all those anoying Scottish people. Hope they won't sent any Lynx to here, me having some Scottish roots. 

It doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, as indeed with the changes in the ecosystem it will be next to impossible to predict what will happen.  If the ecosystem recently lost a creature or vegetation and one tries to restore balance, that sounds reasonable enough. But if the ecosystem changed in so many ways since this or that went missing, reintroduction is a bit risky...

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,477 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#10 2 years ago

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.