Moths invading the place... 13 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,274 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,456 Posts

1,700 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Well, invading is a strong word.

But they keep showing up once the weather starts to get warmer, and every day I have to vacuum the fuckers up, but more just appear. And I don't really understand where they're coming from, but it's not the wardrobe, they are just flying around the room randomly.

I keep the window closed and when it is open, I have a fine mesh filter over it to stop creatures being able to get in, there's no ducts or vents...

How do you even deal with this problem? I know they like warm humid places, I try to keep the humidity out and circle the air around though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

I don't see how this is a problem.  Moths are fascinating creatures, so why would you want them gone?

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,791 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Because they are INSIDE your house.

They can be as fascinating as they want, as long as they stay OUTSIDE.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,496 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,740 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I also have roaches that live in my home.  They don't harm anyone.  Also they're cute little critters.  I once saw a roach scratch his head like a dog <3

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,726 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

large flames maybe?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,791 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,401 Posts

2 Threads

#6 1 year ago

And if you see a large spider, time to burn down the house.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Check for cracks in the walls and corners. It sounds like you might have a nice little nest inside one of the walls or floors.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,313 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,846 Posts

213 Threads

#8 1 year ago
"Serio"nice little nest inside one of the walls or floors.

Yikes.

You may keep your room hermetically sealed from bugs, but when entering and exiting the room, unless you have some form of Airlock you are going to be letting them in from other parts of the house. Have you considered exploring the rest of the house to see if the infestation lies therein?

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,726 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#9 1 year ago

If it's anything like where I used to live, it's just a seasonal  thing under the right conditions. In the spring, moths were everywhere. You open the front door and the screen door would be covered so much with moths that you couldn't see the screen door. I still remember driving my car to school once or twice, and the entire way there moths would flood out of the hood of the car every time we stopped. And  when I say flood, I mean flood. It was unbelievable. But then they went away.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,136 XP

17th June 2002

6 Uploads

33,633 Posts

778 Threads

#10 1 year ago

"FileTrekker"Well, invading is a strong word.

But they keep showing up once the weather starts to get warmer, and every day I have to vacuum the fuckers up, but more just appear. And I don't really understand where they're coming from, but it's not the wardrobe, they are just flying around the room randomly.

I keep the window closed and when it is open, I have a fine mesh filter over it to stop creatures being able to get in, there's no ducts or vents...

How do you even deal with this problem? I know they like warm humid places, I try to keep the humidity out and circle the air around though.

Moths are fascinating, or at least, the fact that humanity has forever destroyed their entire species' navigational abilities is fascinating. They go where the light is, and one popular theory is that they do this because they've evolved to use moonlight as a navigation aid. The moon is 15 fuckton miles away and the only significant source of light in the night's sky, so there's no way they can ever reach it, and there's no way they can confuse it for something else. By keeping the light of the moon on one side of them, they will fly in a roughly straight line and get to wherever it is that moths need to get to. Seriously, what do moths actually do, anyway?

Then along come humans with their artificial light sources to fuck up their entire species. A light in your room is going to attract moths simply by virtue of it being brighter, and closer, than the moon. So they keep that light source on one side of them to navigate. Unfortunately, that light source isn't 15 fuckton miles away, it's a few metres away, so they end up flying around it, eventually into it, and at the same time they will irritate the shit out of you.

Their ability to get into buildings that have no apparent entrances for them is equally fascinating. I have not heard a theory to explain that one, but my own hypothesis is that they have a high lockpicking level.

In any event, the best way* to deal with them is to get yourself an electrified fly swatter. It's battery powered, shaped like a tennis racquet, and when you hold down a button on the handle the mesh part of the racquet becomes electrified, usually with a satisfying 'pop' and a few sparks. Take a swipe at the moth (or wasp, or fly - it works on anything) and it gets barbecued. Then hold the racquet over the bin, release the button, and shake the cooked remains into the garbage. It's fun and it kills moths, and you get to enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that their entire species will eventually go extinct because humans invented the lightbulb.

astor-electric-fly-swatter-277x300.jpg* The actual best way is to combine your Zippo with a deodorant can, but I can't recommend that without opening myself up to legal action.