Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#1 6 years ago

I injured myself at work on the 4th December 2011, my Boss had a talk with me a week back ago. I was told she is questioning whether I have a back injury or not.

I am on what the company calls Modified duties. I was told regardless if I have Doctors note I am being put on my normal duties sense they don't wish for me to be on Modified duties anymore.

The question is this can my work put me back to normal duties, even if I have a Doctors note stating that I am not able to go back to my normal duties?

My back is messed up and what not. I won't be able to do my job which is heavy lifting sense this is back injury I am at risk to further hurt myself. Quitting is not viable at this moment. Lets face it who'd wanna hire someone that is injured anyways?

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#2 6 years ago

I doubt they can, but I don't know. Phone a local lawyer who does employment law and ask them.

Primarch Vulkan VIP Member

For the Emperor! Knights of Caliban!

154,320 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

13,497 Posts

0 Threads

#3 6 years ago

yeah thats what I was thinking of doing but wanted some advice before going to do this.

[color=#000000][size=2][b][i]Heralds of the coming doom, Like the cry of the Raven, we are drawn, This oath of war and vengeance, On a blade of exalted iron sworn, With blood anointed swords

EX-Rumia

*Blink...Blink...Blink*

50 XP

4th August 2006

0 Uploads

1,248 Posts

0 Threads

#4 6 years ago

Yea you should just do that at once. Best thing to do, stand up for yourself and don't accept any of their bullcrap reasons to put you back to normal duties when you got a doctor's note that you cannot do this.

On the other hand, if you hurt yourself even more after they force you to work normal duties even with the note, you probably got a case.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#5 6 years ago

It would be in the best interest of your employer too, since a (partial/full) recovery would benefit them aswell, while further injuries (due to being pressured into doing certain jobs that your GP adviced against) would cost them dearly.

I don't know about Canadian law, but common sense would dictate that with a doctor's note you have evidence enough to refuse certain tasks. Perhaps you can tell your superior to call your GP if they want to confirm that the note is genuine.

Darkness Knight 15

Zerstörung.

50 XP

15th May 2003

0 Uploads

4,262 Posts

0 Threads

#6 6 years ago

Wow humans are disgusting. We are so selfish and uncaring about others. Good luck Uwsar. Definitely get in touch with a lawyer or so. Don't let a job ruin the rest of your life for yeh.

Granyaski VIP Member

High as a kite

107 XP

29th May 2008

0 Uploads

11,881 Posts

1 Threads

#7 6 years ago

In the UK you can (excuse my slang here) get them done in. Get some compensation, take them to court or just go back to what it should be. If your back really is messed up then you have conclusive proof.

Darkness Knight 15

Zerstörung.

50 XP

15th May 2003

0 Uploads

4,262 Posts

0 Threads

#8 6 years ago

In most cases one can get their boss in trouble for such shit here in the USA too. Depending on the job though, I guess, maybe some employers have found legal loopholes. I wouldn't be surprised. Humans are such a shitty and selfish species. -_-

Octovon

Spaceman

54,945 XP

5th August 2003

0 Uploads

5,317 Posts

0 Threads

#9 6 years ago

If you happen to be a unionized worker, you could ask your union rep, otherwise you can consult the Ontario Ministry of Labour or a labour lawyer. I do not think your boss can necessarily make you resume regular duties if you have a continuing injury, supported by a doctor's note proving the extent of that injury that also recommends you remain on 'light' or modified duties (and technically I don't think your employer can ask about your medical treatment either, some kind of privacy thing). Check out the Ministry of Labour's website, they have some information on this kind of situation, but if your employer persists I would consult your union rep (if you have one) or a labour lawyer for advice.

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,478 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,392 Posts

3 Threads

#10 6 years ago
Uwsar-Hat-Anupuw;5599825I injured myself at work on the 4th December 2011,

The key phrase is that. You became injured while at work. A local lawyer would be a good place to start for that as well. I have some experience with a bad back as mine is bollocked to say the least. Having spent 20 years in the construction industry my back gave up a few years ago. Operations and lots of pain killers later it is still just as bad. Now it might get worse depending on what type of back problem you have. If it is a herniated disk (especially causing sciatica) then no it will not get worse but it will make it more likely to have it repeat on you. What did the docs says about your back ?