random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So a while back I got a good doctor. She tested me for allergies because of my asthmatic symptoms that had been going on forever. Basically, I have allergic asthma and the main cause are two types of dust mites.

Anyway, she gave me a nasal corticosteroid, an inhaled corticosteroid and an antihistamine pill. She prescribed a certain number, saying that the asthma was in remission and would hopefully go away after all the medicine had been taken. It didn't. She said to keep taking it since I live in a different, polluted region and that there are no side effects.

Well not to disobey a good doctor's advice but it's been like 3 years and I'm trying to avoid the medicine now since I don't feel too good about taking chemicals that aren't going to solve anything. But I thought I'd ask others with experience if it is better or not to avoid or if it makes no difference, since I'd rather just breathe easy.

Also anybody have experience with anything that reduces allergic/asthmatic reactions like immunotherapy or something? I might try that in the future when I find a doctor for that.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Nobody here (to my knowledge, anyway) is a medical practitioner.

If you doubt what your doctor is telling you, it's your right to get a second opinion from a different doctor. Anecdotes and opinions do not science make.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#3 1 year ago

As Mr. Matt said, none of us are qualified.

It sounds like they must have missed something on the allergen test, so go and get checked up by a different doctor. And if the medication doesn't work, you definitely want to get checked up again.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#4 1 year ago

No sideeffects from antihistamines and stereoids? Maybe the dosage is really low, otherwise that would be surprising.

Don't know how asthma is treated these days, but getting rid of carpets may be a good idea. I had asthma as a kid and replacing some old carpets in various rooms with laminate had a big effect.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#5 1 year ago

"Mr. Matt"Nobody here (to my knowledge, anyway) is a medical practitioner.

If you doubt what your doctor is telling you, it's your right to get a second opinion from a different doctor. Anecdotes and opinions do not science make.[/quote]

"Serio"As Mr. Matt said, none of us are qualified.

It sounds like they must have missed something on the allergen test, so go and get checked up by a different doctor. And if the medication doesn't work, you definitely want to get checked up again.

I simply do not have access to secondary doctors.

Anyway, the reason that the medicine didn't fix anything is probably dust anyway. It's very hot and humid for most of the year where I live so a layer of grime can collect in just a few days. House is too big (well some 50 to 60 sq. meters) and too populated with junk (not mine) so there are just too many nooks and crannies where it collects like crazy and too damn much to clean even just daily.

I'll probably figure something out.

[quote="MrFancypants"]No sideeffects from antihistamines and stereoids? Maybe the dosage is really low, otherwise that would be surprising.

Don't know how asthma is treated these days, but getting rid of carpets may be a good idea. I had asthma as a kid and replacing some old carpets in various rooms with laminate had a big effect.

Maybe things changed since you took them. You did say you had it as a kid and now you have a family. That is a very long time. Or maybe they only occur after long term, which is why I asked but, you know, better to ask a doctor.

What about you? It sounds like you got rid of yours somehow. Then again, mine is more allergic.

Hypothetically, according to the doctor, if I moved somewhere super cold with little to no dust or somewhere with little pollution, I would probably stop showing symptoms.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#6 1 year ago

"random_soldier1337"I simply do not have access to secondary doctors.

Anyway, the reason that the medicine didn't fix anything is probably dust anyway. It's very hot and humid for most of the year where I live so a layer of grime can collect in just a few days. House is too big (well some 50 to 60 sq. meters) and too populated with junk (not mine) so there are just too many nooks and crannies where it collects like crazy and too damn much to clean even just daily.

Just be careful. Asthma ain't nothing to scoff at.

Out of curiosity, how old is your house, and does the asthma improve when you leave it? It's a silly question, but I'm just curious.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"Serio"

"random_soldier1337"I simply do not have access to secondary doctors.

Just be careful. Asthma ain't nothing to scoff at.

Out of curiosity, how old is your house, and does the asthma improve when you leave it? It's a silly question, but I'm just curious.

The house isn't old at all. It was an apartment built within the last decade. Though, it most certainly is true that I literally show no symptoms whenever I have to stay outside of it for a few days or something. I don't have to use my medicines at all during that time.

I didn't really ask my doctor too many details since my doctor was not good with English (at least not for detailed explanations) so I don't know what this is exactly because it doesn't seem to work like conventional asthma. I've had allergy tests at least thrice in my life and all of them always said it was dust/dust mites. However, allergy symptoms grew worse with age. Before my teens, it was closer to rhinitis with my eyes producing enough mucous to seal them shut every night I slept, whenever I showed symptoms of allergy. High school onwards the whole eye thing disappeared. However, asthmatic symptoms started showing up and have become more predominant. Around high school, whenever I'd get allergic rhinitis, it happened that every once in a blue moon I'd also start showing asthmatic symptoms. More recently, however, asthmatic symptoms start showing up before rhinitis, if not with it.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#8 1 year ago

"random_soldier1337"The house isn't old at all. It was an apartment built within the last decade. Though, it most certainly is true that I literally show no symptoms whenever I have to stay outside of it for a few days or something. I don't have to use my medicines at all during that time.

I didn't really ask my doctor too many details since my doctor was not good with English (at least not for detailed explanations) so I don't know what this is exactly because it doesn't seem to work like conventional asthma. I've had allergy tests at least thrice in my life and all of them always said it was dust/dust mites. However, allergy symptoms grew worse with age. Before my teens, it was closer to rhinitis with my eyes producing enough mucous to seal them shut every night I slept, whenever I showed symptoms of allergy. High school onwards the whole eye thing disappeared. However, asthmatic symptoms started showing up and have become more predominant. Around high school, whenever I'd get allergic rhinitis, it happened that every once in a blue moon I'd also start showing asthmatic symptoms. More recently, however, asthmatic symptoms start showing up before rhinitis, if not with it.

I'm mostly just curious if it could be some type of mould. As far as I know, mould can cause you to have similar symptoms. Have a gander at the Mayo Clinic's "Mold Allergy" page. Does that match what you experience? 

Mould allergy would mean it only occurs in locations with high concentrations of mould. So even a relatively new apartment could have mould, if it was poorly constructed. That said, it could of course still be the dust mites - I just personally prefer to explore everything with a doctor, if possible.

You've mentioned that you don't have access to secondary doctors, but does that only apply to visiting? Is it possible for you to call one up, and ask them? 

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#9 1 year ago

The mold allergies thing is true. Though, there are no apparent signs of mold. I'll have to have a look around.

I don't really know any doctors in such a capacity that I could call them up and ask them these things without them just saying to meet them.