MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,014 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So I am currently trying to move to another city because of new job (that's why I am mostly inactive these days) and realized that the housing market in Munich is an insane mess. Supply is low, demand is super high, prices go through the roof. People start doing silly things like paying a couple of thousand bucks extra (usually for the kitchen) just to be allowed to rent a flat. If you don't know people (and I don't know people in that city) you are basically screwed and have to move to a nearby city or into the countryside. It is normal that you apply for a flat as you would apply for a job.

How bad is housing in your city?

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

About £600-700 (708.68-826.79 euros) a month for a single bedroom flat with no parking. That's an hour, hour and a half - depending on traffic - from where I work. I don't even want to think what I'd be paying closer to work.

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

The social-renting houses have had too much demand and too few supply over the last decades (say since 1970) so waitinglists in the west the Netherlands usually run up to 10-15 years for an apartment the size of a shoebox. Public houses for rent are ofcourse a bit more expensive, easily an entire full time minimum wage. 

As for the houses that are for sale, prices in the Netherlands are higher than those in say Belgium or Germany. People could get a subsidy for their mortage (tax reduction) and most households have two people with a job. The man often working fulltime for 38-40 hours and she parttime (half that). So people had more money to spent on mortages and as a result prices went up. With my fulltime job and salary above minimum wage I cannot get a mortage. I could borrow between 100.000 or 120.000 euro's and a 60-80 m2 house wth 2 bedrooms, kitchen, livingroom, bathroom etc. will cost you between 200.000 and 250.000 to start with. Unless you opt for an outdated shoebox appartment of say 40m, then you  140-150.0000 will be enough. Me? I can get a mortgage to finance a small box in which you could fit a single Fiat Panda.  

I currently pay 400+ euro's for a 40-42 m2 appartment, but I cannot get a mortgage with the bank for such an amount. I know various people who pay about 400 euro's mortgage but their (combined) income is higher than mine. So oddly enough some people pay less on monthyl housing costs than me and I'm stuck in social housing (rental) and they have a nicely sides single family house.. Fair? Not really. And the prices are going up again.... Ugh. 

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Renting here is...iffy.  I mean there are some grand places that are 1 br + 1 bath with parking for around $650-750 in pretty decent neighborhoods.  Like most things, if you have a job only amounts to about $22k a year, you're going to be fucked because after rent, insurance, groceries, and whatever else you're pretty much left with only $20 a week for spending money. 

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.